Where to look to live after offered job????? Help please!!!

I have just been offered a job teaching at PLC in peppermint grove Perth,

trying to work out where we as a family could live to keep the commute not too much (30 mins is fine) and also be a nice area for a family in addition to not being ridiculous prices- about $500 a week rent.

I've delayed accepting the offer as yet as my governors need to approve me leaving but need some sensible advice so we as a family can make an informed decision.

Also if anyone knows of possible furnished short term rentals to tide us over from mid jan onwards it would help!

Thanks

Andy (a very nervous/excited pom!)

How many in the family? What size house or apartment do you need, surrounding suburbs are all quite pricey, get onto realestate.com.au click on rentals and put in bedrooms , bathrooms other requirements and distance to travel,

also maximum price and see what comes up in the area you want, I think you will hit traffic in all directions.

If you are not after the sparkling new four by two house you may manage to get somewhere near the Western suburbs. Many students pick up places. Scarborough is fine, look at Wembley Downs, nice schools and you can commute via the back roads. Places sor like Melville might be good too, along Canning Highway.

Don't know about the commute from Melville..... But, another area to consider is Fremantle. That's a short drive from PLC and has nice family areas so should have good schools, if you're intending to send the kids to state schools. I also think Sorrento, North Beach, Wembley Downs, Mount Claremont, Doubleview, Scarborough, Karrinyup are all areas to consider....commute would be quite nice to PLC from Northern beach suburbs. And places like Duncraig...I've friends who send kids to PLC and they live Duncraig.

Thanks for that- Melville does look quite nice - would the commute along the canning highway be ok? Bearing in mind I'd be setting off at 7.25ish

Andy

The Commute from Mellville to Pepermint Grove at that time of the morning will be painfull, problem you have is crossing the river, you either go to Freo and cross or the Kwinina freeway to cross, both mad busy at that time of day and slow moving, try stay NOR to make your life easier

The Commute from Mellville to Pepermint Grove at that time of the morning will be painfull, problem you have is crossing the river, you either go to Freo and cross or the Kwinina freeway to cross, both mad busy at that time of day and slow moving, try stay NOR to make your life easier

cant imagine you'd go via Kwinana Fwy as then you'd just get traffic going into town, and it's a bit of a roundabout way to get to Cottesloe. I think you'd be fine going via Fremantle at 7:30, but maybe someone who drives that way would know!?

cant imagine you'd go via Kwinana Fwy as then you'd just get traffic going into town, and it's a bit of a roundabout way to get to Cottesloe. I think you'd be fine going via Fremantle at 7:30, but maybe someone who drives that way would know!?

Great, thanks for all of the advice.

currently awaiting my governors decision to release me.... Should hear mon or Tuesday.

we we do like the look of Melville/attardale but also the North beach suburbs.

decisions decisions!

The traffic across either Freo bridge at 7.30 is fine.

If you find Stock Road which runs North/South on a map I'd be looking at anything west of that and as far south as north Coogee. That's around a 30 min drive to Peppy Grove.

Rental prices have come down a lot over the past 18 months and $500pw is a reasonable budget unless you're expecting pool, ocean view or the centre of Freo etc.

Guest Guest6235
@andystiz My wife secured a Maths teaching job back in late September NOR so was able to hand in notice before October half term to leave this Friday (she can't wait). Some people from her school handed in their notice and just left immediately give or take a week or two without giving the full term notice and nothing happened to them. I'm not sure what hold the School can have over you. Edited by Guest6235

Dunno really, think I may be liable for cover. Anyway it is what it is and I suppose professional integrity plays a part.... if they still want me at Easter then great if not then another door will open somewhere.

They should manage to get someone to do term 1 before u arrive! That would be easier than them re advertising, interviewing etc as I assume they will already have stopped.

hopefully it works out for u!

They should manage to get someone to do term 1 before u arrive! That would be easier than them re advertising, interviewing etc as I assume they will already have stopped.

hopefully it works out for u!

Sadly they offered post to another candidate, oh well.

Thanks for all of the advice etc. who knows it may prove helpful soon!!