knocking a house about question?

pegg

Hi all you amazing people,

Ive been looking at suburbs and house's etc …. And are thinking of buying older and maybe altering it - knocking a few walls about.

Just wondering is it like Uk where i will need building regs ? planning? engineer calcs etc ????

Also im sure its a year …. but how long do we have to be in Oz before we can buy ? Oh also one last thing ….. the Australian cash grant for first time buyers - does this include old house's or new builds only ?

Never know we may look at new build but like to keep options open ;o)

Thanks guys

Generally, you can do what ever you want to a house internally. Externally would require shire approval, but that is usually not an issue. Though you would have to be careful of aspestos. A number of older houses here have it and if so, it can get very expensive very quickly.

You our can buy as soon as you want. There is no one year wait. Banks will normally want to see three months of payslips in order to give a mortgage, though a letter from the employer confirming you are not in a probationary period can waive this.

Not it sure on the first time buyer grant as it has changed a couple of times.

We put an offer in on a house and was accepted after 2 weeks of arrival and had moved in 10 weeks later. I think you're ok internally doing stuff (not sure if you have to get plans drawn for when you maybe sell on the house) - you'd need to check.

Not sure about the grant - been a while since we bought.

this is interesting information.

So I could buy a house, draw up plans- making any/ all internal modifications (I am an architect by profession) - and get a contractor to do the work- without any approvals?

We put an offer in on a house and was accepted after 2 weeks of arrival and had moved in 10 weeks later. I think you're ok internally doing stuff (not sure if you have to get plans drawn for when you maybe sell on the house) - you'd need to check.

Not sure about the grant - been a while since we bought.

So I could buy a house, draw up plans- making any/ all internal modifications (I am an architect by profession) - and get a contractor to do the work- without any approvals?

I don't know, hence I said you would need to check with the shire.

I am not sure how it works now, but we bought 24 years ago and made internal and externals alterations 15 years ago. We needed to have planning permission and building approval for the carport, back patio cover and shed. However did not need approval to knock down a few walls, even though some were structural and we had to put in RSJ's to support the roof. My only suggestion would be to use a reputable builder so you have some comeback if it all goes pear-shaped along the way. We had no issues apart from a picky neighbour not happy with the carport moving out into the front garden more than their house frontage, but others in the street had already done this, so there was a precedent set and therefore not an issue for us.

Never done it myself in oz, but my bil has, and pretty sure he had to get council signoff on the work with mid project assessment. I'd make a few local govt enquiries.

You may get fhb grant if you demolished and rebuilt.

Also, some houses can be listed, so need to check.

cheers guys ….we were just thinking some of the older houses are closer to the beach and many have a nice footprint to work with …. So the idea was just to change layout somewhat.

Due to us being used to new builds in the UK getting smaller and smaller i think we could make something special out of an older home .

Weve spent all our time renovating houses and last one we built ourselves …… exciting times ;o)

My neighbour is renovating. He has change the entire internal structure. Oh my he has had major problems. He needed plans ect. He now has a headache each time he does something it needs,approval. Its costing him $150 hr each time someone comes out. I would,seek advice first before you start. When we moved in our house 9 mths ago he gave us,advice as we are renovating also thank god we smiled took it on board and did our own routine on things. We only have outside to do house more or less done. Him oh I will have done this in 4 months.... Think he's been at it 18 months now ....

My neighbour is renovating. He has change the entire internal structure. Oh my he has had major problems. He needed plans ect. He now has a headache each time he does something it needs,approval. Its costing him $150 hr each time someone comes out. I would,seek advice first before you start. When we moved in our house 9 mths ago he gave us,advice as we are renovating also thank god we smiled took it on board and did our own routine on things. We only have outside to do house more or less done. Him oh I will have done this in 4 months.... Think he's been at it 18 months now ....

Aww man …. But yes would definatly seek advice from an engineer before the walls come out :o)

You would have to consider as well, that houses here are built very different to the UK. For example, in most cases, and certainly near the beach, there are no foundations. They just compact the sand and then pour a concrete slab on it which becomes the house footprint. Internal walls are normally all brick, as a result the internal walls can be as important in being structural as the external. Also, you need to be very careful with outside walls as these can be retaining walls for the sand.