looking for land! Any experience or recommendations welcome

Hi all

Myself and my hubby ( and 2 kids)will be landing in Perth within the next 2 years. We have done our rekki. Places we liked were mindarie, ocean reef, Kinross and then.... Secret harbour lol. Reason we're so keen on northern suburbs is we have family friends based close to here. I like secret harbour as I feel it has everything the north does but more affordable.

My hubby will be working away and I'll take any work I can get that is close and works with the kids. So we are happy to live in any of these areas.

We want to build our own little home. We have been looking on real estate and looked at house and land packages too. Any other leads as to where we could look to access the land? We would love a block for 500 sm.

Please anyone one with experience or suggestions on other places to search for the land, we would love to hear from you :)

lauren Billy poppy and Oliver

500sqm is a fairly small block...... All house no garden. But if thats,what you want. Price of land maybe the deciding factor on where you choose to buy. Your best bet is to view the areas first then find out what lands available in the areas you like. Also do you want to build in a new housing developement or find a block in an established area. Estate agents have land for sale aldo land is advertised in the property section of the local free papers. Good luck in your decision

Thank you Elfie:)

i think hubby would want an established area. But I think the land maybe more pricey:s (so it seems).

I love secret harbour though. We have been to all the areas and I like them all :)

hi vs

he currently works away in Saudi . So possibility in the same job were hoping

i know the work situation is a tricky one at the min.

Why would you not rent first? Much more flexibility, giving you the opportunity to:

- See how you like Perth and migrating in itself.

- Figure out which areas you like.

- Get a job first and learn how far you would like to drive.

The suburbs you mention are all well established and any land still available will cost a lot, certainly up North you are looking at least $450k for the land in those suburbs. The good thing about those suburbs is that the block sizes are likely to be larger than 500sqm.

Another option in an established area is looking at houses that are really really cheap and run down that have a large block. The reason sometimes they are run down as the owners are elderly going into care homes or retirement villages. 'New builds are starting to spring up in older areas for this reason. Lots of new builds in lovely areas of Waikiki and Safety Bay on 1/4 acre blocks and larger.

Firstly, as your husband will be working away and you say you have family friends in the northern suburbs, have you considered that it might be a better option to live there so you have some form of network?

Secondly, if you prefer more established areas, Elfie's comment above is spot on. The area I live in is case in point, as it is happening in many streets around me, as it is in many older suburbs all over the Perth metro area. The blocks are large 800sqm plus, and the house and land price is basically just the land value, so people are demolishing the house and rebuilding and end up with a large garden. The majority of modern housing developments all over Perth have blocks around 500sqm, and once you build a house on that, you get very little garden, especially if you want to have a pool as well.

Thirdly, give serious thought to renting for a while initially while you settle into life here, and really make sure that you buy in an area you want to live.

It is a hard decision for you, and one we have all had to make, so we understand totally where you are coming from.

Hi guys:)

thank you for the feedback. I suppose it will have to be northern suburbs when we initially come. I was keen on building as I am currently out in Saudi . My little girl will be 9 when we come over but will have been living as an expat for 4 years. I wanted to build so

that she can get to know where we will be living and so she feel a connection to the place. The next move will be have to be our last . But I suppose we could rent when first starting out. Thank you for the leads guys some good advice :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Looking for land is always confusing & the new land releases seem to be making the blocks smaller & smaller nowadays.

I work as a Sales & design Consultant for Ventura Homes. I am based in Mandurah but do alot of business in Secret Habour in-fact my display is their.

The new blocks are becoming so small that alot of our designs will not fit, so I actually work with many of the local real estate agents & put together House & land packages

for privately owned blocks.....they seem to be much bigger & already in an established area which is great.

Id be happy to help you find a block that fits your criteria.

Thanks