Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Building a new home

Title
      Liked
      1 times
      Status

Building a new home

Hi Guys,

I am new to the forum & have been living in Mandurah for around 2 1/2 years now.
      We absolutely love it here & are about to lodge our PR.

Once we have this we will be looking to build.
      I actually work for Ventura homes so naturally we feel building new was the way to go.

Has anyone had this process of build new or buy established?
      Want to gain more information on buying land, building restrictions & site costs?
      The experiences we have had so far nobody ever explains this in enough detail & if anything we would feel more confused.

Friends of ours actually brought some land to build & didnt know their exact site costs which ended up being far more then they had budgeted & now they cannot sell the block or afford the home design they want.

Since arriving in WA I have built around 200 homes as a supervisor & recently got into the Design Consultancy side, I am more then happy to help anyone
      struggling to decide which way to go. I can give you advice on sites works costings, design options to maximize the block of land as well as time frames & any hidden factors no other consultants will explain in enough detail.

Thanks, have a great day :)

https://www.facebook.com/John-Barnes...2218846279101/
      Last edited by john barnes; 12-09-2016 at 03:43 AM. Reason: grammer
      pegg likes this.

ali

Title
      Administrator
      Liked
      2556 times
      Status
      Sorry - had to edit the FB link as we don't allow them. Have a look at our Business rules and perhaps create a signature Looking forward to your contributions to the forum about your life here in WA.
      Lord make my words sweet and reasonable. For some day I may have to eat them

Title
      Liked
      1 times
      Status
      Apologies Ali.

Title
      Liked
      207 times
      Status
      Hi John

Very nice to put up the offer to help people out.

I am at the early stages the build project. Am using a company called Gemmill Homes.

No works have been started yet, just the design stage at the moment.

Title
      Liked
      323 times
      Status
      @john barnes ….. we are about 12 months from looking at land / build options .

However my question would be - how much of the design process can the client get involved with ? For example if i wanted to move wondows about to make most of scenery/certain view etc ?
      Im just interested as in the UK i built high end properties and my archetect really made the most of each build ………… But yep really all im asking - is do you pick what house you want ? -or do you pick type closest then say we need to change this this n this ( before build starts obviously ).

Thanks in advance

Paul n Lisa
      john barnes likes this.
      Hi guys ! its Paul, Lisa, Jack and Boo !

Title
      Liked
      2460 times
      Status
      Pegg

we built our place last year.

You our can be very involved and change lots of things as long as the shape of the house stays the same. For example, we started with a house that was a 4x2, but, we turned it into a 3x2 so one room was massive as my wife works from home as an artist. We also turned the entire back of the house into glass as we had a view.

Some changes will not cost anything, some cost, but some can actually reduce costs. For example, put in an extra window can reduce cost, but then add big double glass doors adds cost as you need extra steel.

The he big thing to remember when looking at builders and show homes is that what is included in the initial price is very different to a show home. For example, the standard electrical inclusion only covers one socket per room. Try running a kitchen on that! So, you need to budget for all that and you don't get a final price until you do pre start which is a month or two after you have already signed.

The he other issue is to watch ground works. The OP implies some companies give guaranteed ground work prices. This is misleading as it is at best a partial guarantee. You need to investigate this yourself before you buy the block. For example, speak to neighbours about any issues they had. Also consider getting it proffessionaly investigated before building. For example, if the building company estimates $10000 for it and you hit clay, then that can blow out by 200k!
      pegg and Rossmoyne like this.

Title
      Liked
      1 times
      Status
      Hi Edna,

wow exciting for you all. Good luck ��

Happy to to advise throughout if you have any questions

Title
      Liked
      1 times
      Status
      Hi Guys,

every company is slightly different. We generally offer both options..... You can choose our from our many standard designs
      or if you have an awkward shaped block or a beautiful view etc we can design a "special" for you.

Hope that helps.

Title
      Liked
      323 times
      Status
      Quote Originally Posted by verystormy View Post
      Pegg

we built our place last year.

You our can be very involved and change lots of things as long as the shape of the house stays the same. For example, we started with a house that was a 4x2, but, we turned it into a 3x2 so one room was massive as my wife works from home as an artist. We also turned the entire back of the house into glass as we had a view.

Some changes will not cost anything, some cost, but some can actually reduce costs. For example, put in an extra window can reduce cost, but then add big double glass doors adds cost as you need extra steel.

The he big thing to remember when looking at builders and show homes is that what is included in the initial price is very different to a show home. For example, the standard electrical inclusion only covers one socket per room. Try running a kitchen on that! So, you need to budget for all that and you don't get a final price until you do pre start which is a month or two after you have already signed.

The he other issue is to watch ground works. The OP implies some companies give guaranteed ground work prices. This is misleading as it is at best a partial guarantee. You need to investigate this yourself before you buy the block. For example, speak to neighbours about any issues they had. Also consider getting it proffessionaly investigated before building. For example, if the building company estimates $10000 for it and you hit clay, then that can blow out by 200k!
      your house sounds fantastic @verystormy !! did you sell it or rent out when you returned to UK ?
      Hi guys ! its Paul, Lisa, Jack and Boo !

Title
      Liked
      2460 times
      Status
      Quote Originally Posted by pegg View Post
      your house sounds fantastic @verystormy !! did you sell it or rent out when you returned to UK ?
      Thanks Pegg. It finally sold two weeks ago. A big weight off our shoulders. Though it went for a lot less than we had initially hoped.
      pegg likes this.

•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast