Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Rip Off Real Estate Agents

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Status

Rip Off Real Estate Agents

Hi,

For those who are heading over to Perth and are going to rent accommodation, there is a clause in the standard lease agreement that requires the lessee to give usually one month's notice that they are NOT going to continue renting the home AFTER the lease expires. Not all agents will send you a reminder, especially the dodgy ones. If you plan to move out and do not notify the agent they will most likely expect you to pay another months rent even though your lease has expired.
      One particular agent we dealt with was a force to be reckoned with (not going to mention names,pm me if you want more info). Our story is that we got stung for our entire deposit. We rented a short term rental (break lease) that was only available to the end of March 2016. This suited us perfectly as we were returning to the UK. We discussed with the agent why we only wanted a short term lease because of our plans to go back to the UK. Moved in in mid January 2016 believing that there was no option to go beyond the end of March and knowing the agent was fully aware of our plans and why we took the lease. Come the end of March we contacted the agent to find out about getting our deposit back once we vacated. The agent told us that because we had not notified them a month before the end of the lease they demanded another month's rent. We were sold the lease on the basis that it was only available to the end of March but then the agent just used the clause described above. I spoke to a tenants rights association who said that the agents behavior was totally immoral but there was probably nothing we could do legally. As a result we decided not to clean the place when we moved out and funny enough, someone left a large pile of old furniture and unwanted junk just outside the property . I guess it probably cost them a significant chunk of our money to get the place ready for the next victim.
      Please be aware of the clause as it is not something that is common in the UK.
      Last edited by wildbriz; 10-11-2016 at 09:57 PM.

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Status
      Sorry, that should have read: the lessee (person renting the house from the landlord) having to give a months notice.

ali

Title
      Administrator
      Liked
      2556 times
      Status
      Sorry to hear of your problem and sounds like the agent could have done better, but if it's a standard clause then you would have had some obligation to notify them (if you signed a contract then you agreed to this). I'd have set up a reminder to do it personally. Looks like you got your own back not cleaning the property and leaving unwanted items for them to shift - guess there'll be a lot of new clauses added to their contracts for the next renters now lol.
      Lord make my words sweet and reasonable. For some day I may have to eat them

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Status
      They were notified on the signing of the short lease, my problem is I didn't keep a copy of the original.

Title
      Liked
      186 times
      Status
      I don't know why leaving junk as you left taught the real estate a lesson. The landlord/lady who may not have known anything about it would be clearing it up?
      AITSL assessment complete-09/10/2014 | IELTS L8.5, R8, W8.5, S8.5. -13/12/2014 | EOI submitted 07/01/2015 (65) invite 09/01/2015 | 189 Visa applied - 10/01/2015 Meds -20/02/2015 | PCC-08/03/2015 | Visa granted! - 20/03/2015

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Status
      Thanks for the replies. The bond more than covered the cost of cleaning and removal of junk. If the owner wanted to take on the job themselves then may have kept an extra few hundred dollars but believe me they would not have been out of pocket. It was also the landlord's requirement that property only be rented out until the end of March. I would sympathise with the owner if they had made a genuine loss but they did not. I'm sure there are several landlords on this forum but I imagine there would be very few who thought the behavior of this agent was acceptable.

Title
      Liked
      192 times
      Status
      It was your responsibility to honour the terms of your lease, you signed it. It may sound a bit much, a months notice for a 3 month tenancy but if thats what you signed for thats what you give, no point trying to bad mouth the agent now!

Title
      Liked
      490 times
      Status
      Morally your behaviour is just as reprehensible as that of the agent.

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Status
      Sure Well it is either a case of being clearly ripped off by a real estate agent and turning the other cheek or make their unethical actions less profitable so that they may behave in an ethical way when dealing with new tenants in the future. As I said there would be a few real estate agents and landlords on this forum but I don't think very many would see the behavior of this agent remotely acceptable, do you?

Title
      Liked
      192 times
      Status
      Why do you keep saying they ripped you off? You signed the lease, this clause was in the lease, it was your own negligence! If you had read your lease conditions you would have known. They have not been unethical, it was all there in black and white and you agreed to it.
      Last edited by Weedolly; 12-11-2016 at 03:24 PM.
      Rossmoyne likes this.

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast