Welcome to the Perth Poms Forum.
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 10 of 14
    Like Tree7Likes

    Thread: Questions about Renting in Perth


    1. #1

      Title
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2016
      Posts
      14
      Liked
      0 times
      Status
      alycat is offline

      Questions about Renting in Perth

      Hi all

      I know that it's a renters market in Perth right now but I'm curious about how easy it actually is to secure a rental?
      What sort of time frame is it from application to approval?

      We don't have any rental references so I'm wondering if it will be harder for us?

      Also there are a few in the $350 price mark we are looking at, would it be far fetched to see if we can negotiate $300 a week if we paid 6months rent in advance?

    2. #2
      ali
      ali's Avatar

      Title
      Administrator
      Join Date
      Aug 2006
      Location
      Leeming
      Posts
      5,440
      Liked
      2556 times
      Status
      ali is offline
      Depends what area you're looking at, some are still popular and rents won't have gone down much - but worth offering less, however, if there are a couple of people going for the rental then it will probably go to the person offering the highest.
      alycat likes this.
      Lord make my words sweet and reasonable. For some day I may have to eat them

    3. #3

      Title
      Senior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2016
      Location
      Willetton
      Posts
      151
      Liked
      92 times
      Status
      Jen78 is offline
      Hi, we're looking at the moment and the process is really quick where we are looking at (SOR Willetton), we enquired about properties at the agent's office on Thursday and we managed to look round 3 on friday, had a second look round one of them on Saturday and we will put our application in on Monday. We've been told the application will be processed within 24 hours and we would possibly be able to sign the rental agreement if successful on Wednesday. Generally you have to pay the bond which is 4 weeks rent and 2 weeks rent in advance on the day that you sign the agreement. The rental charge period wont start until you pick up the keys.

      All you need reference wise are 2 personal reference contacts per applicant who may or may not be contacted depending on the strength of the rest of the application.

      As for negotiating, I doubt whether you would be able to get $50 off a week but if you dont ask you don't get, especially if you are offering to pay in advance. Every house we have looked at had at least 4 other families looking round also, and as we are looking in a popular catchment area the rent pretty much is what it is. However if you're not in that situation then things could be different.

      Best of luck
      alycat likes this.
      Decided to move Nov 15, skills assessment submitted engineers australia 29 Jan 16, Hubby IELTS passed 20 Feb 16, positive Skills assessment with Engineers Australia end Apr 16. EOI Submitted 11 June, Invitation to apply beginning July. Application submitted 11th July CO assigned after 3 weeks. House up for sale 6th Aug. Police checks back 10 Aug Meds booked 17th Aug. Visas granted 13th Sept, house sold 26th October. Landed 11th January '17

    4. #4

      Title
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2015
      Posts
      9
      Liked
      5 times
      Status
      Ingrid is offline
      Hi, I think paying six months in advance would definitely help you negotiate a rental. Whether the owner is prepared to take that much less, I expect would depend on how long it has been empty, so I would keep an eye on the properties / area you're interested in and warch how long they are advertised for before (presumably) being rented.
      What areas are you looking at ?
      If you are looking Northern suburbs, you could probably get a rental for under $300 in places like Merriwa or Clarkson. A friend just dropped their rental to $280 in Merriwa, although it was filled in a few days.
      When are you coming over?
      I've got a furnished / unfurnished house in Mullaloo available from Mid Febuary :) PM me if interested.

      Also, in the current market you could be in a vacant property in a week. Some owners will definitely want references, however for most, six months in advance will suffice.
      alycat likes this.

    5. #5

      Title
      Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2016
      Posts
      40
      Liked
      10 times
      Status
      Collie is offline
      $350 to $300 may be a bit much of a drop (14%). $330 may be more reasonable, see how long it has been on the market and what comparable properties are going for (& how many are available) The longer it has been empty, the better your chances of getting cheaper rent.

      Although, I do know somebody who negotiated their rent down to $400 from $430 when their lease was up last year.
      alycat likes this.

    6. #6

      Title
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2015
      Posts
      9
      Liked
      5 times
      Status
      Ingrid is offline
      Well done, best of luck with it all.
      alycat likes this.

    7. #7

      Title
      Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2016
      Posts
      40
      Liked
      10 times
      Status
      Collie is offline
      Quote Originally Posted by Ingrid View Post
      Hi, I think paying six months in advance would definitely help you negotiate a rental. Whether the owner is prepared to take that much less, I expect would depend on how long it has been empty, so I would keep an eye on the properties / area you're interested in and warch how long they are advertised for before (presumably) being rented.
      What areas are you looking at ?
      If you are looking Northern suburbs, you could probably get a rental for under $300 in places like Merriwa or Clarkson. A friend just dropped their rental to $280 in Merriwa, although it was filled in a few days.
      When are you coming over?
      I've got a furnished / unfurnished house in Mullaloo available from Mid Febuary :) PM me if interested.

      Also, in the current market you could be in a vacant property in a week. Some owners will definitely want references, however for most, six months in advance will suffice.
      Hi Ingrid,

      Can you send me the details of your place in Mullaloo please? I move over on Australia day. Ideally I'm looking for somewhere a bit closer to the city but I really like Mullaloo. Great playground and beach

      thanks,
      Colin

    8. #8

      Title
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2016
      Posts
      14
      Liked
      0 times
      Status
      alycat is offline
      Quote Originally Posted by Jen78 View Post
      Hi, we're looking at the moment and the process is really quick where we are looking at (SOR Willetton), we enquired about properties at the agent's office on Thursday and we managed to look round 3 on friday, had a second look round one of them on Saturday and we will put our application in on Monday. We've been told the application will be processed within 24 hours and we would possibly be able to sign the rental agreement if successful on Wednesday. Generally you have to pay the bond which is 4 weeks rent and 2 weeks rent in advance on the day that you sign the agreement. The rental charge period wont start until you pick up the keys.

      All you need reference wise are 2 personal reference contacts per applicant who may or may not be contacted depending on the strength of the rest of the application.

      As for negotiating, I doubt whether you would be able to get $50 off a week but if you dont ask you don't get, especially if you are offering to pay in advance. Every house we have looked at had at least 4 other families looking round also, and as we are looking in a popular catchment area the rent pretty much is what it is. However if you're not in that situation then things could be different.

      Best of luck
      Ah, so I'm looking at about a week from application to keys then it sounds from your experience.

      In your opinion do you think personal references can be from people abroad (i.e. Not in Perth)?

    9. #9

      Title
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2016
      Posts
      14
      Liked
      0 times
      Status
      alycat is offline
      Quote Originally Posted by Ingrid View Post
      Hi, I think paying six months in advance would definitely help you negotiate a rental. Whether the owner is prepared to take that much less, I expect would depend on how long it has been empty, so I would keep an eye on the properties / area you're interested in and warch how long they are advertised for before (presumably) being rented.
      What areas are you looking at ?
      If you are looking Northern suburbs, you could probably get a rental for under $300 in places like Merriwa or Clarkson. A friend just dropped their rental to $280 in Merriwa, although it was filled in a few days.
      When are you coming over?
      I've got a furnished / unfurnished house in Mullaloo available from Mid Febuary :) PM me if interested.

      Also, in the current market you could be in a vacant property in a week. Some owners will definitely want references, however for most, six months in advance will suffice.
      Yes we are looking for NOR, and I have seen places in merriwa and Quinn's for as low as 260$ aircon 4*2! We don't want to move that far out if we can help it but I guess I'll have to see what's available at the time.

      We won't need anywhere till June, but thanks!

    10. #10

      Title
      Senior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2016
      Location
      Willetton
      Posts
      151
      Liked
      92 times
      Status
      Jen78 is offline
      Quote Originally Posted by alycat View Post
      Ah, so I'm looking at about a week from application to keys then it sounds from your experience.

      In your opinion do you think personal references can be from people abroad (i.e. Not in Perth)?
      Yes, it can be that quick if the property is empty and available immediately like the one we like is. Others have had a date on them depending on when the current lease is up. You are really at the mercy of what's available at the time you are looking to move in.

      We have already got references from my old work in the UK about my character and from our selling agent in the Uk saying how well our house was presented when we sold it. We also kept our sales brochure to prove how well presented the house was. I have been told to get another personal reference for our character and old house from a friend of us both who came to the house regularly to be emailed over. The agent said that if we physically hand in these references then they wouldn't need to be contacted so it would be a good idea to get these shortly before you come to save time at application.
      Decided to move Nov 15, skills assessment submitted engineers australia 29 Jan 16, Hubby IELTS passed 20 Feb 16, positive Skills assessment with Engineers Australia end Apr 16. EOI Submitted 11 June, Invitation to apply beginning July. Application submitted 11th July CO assigned after 3 weeks. House up for sale 6th Aug. Police checks back 10 Aug Meds booked 17th Aug. Visas granted 13th Sept, house sold 26th October. Landed 11th January '17

     

  •  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Moving to Perth Hello few questions???
      By staceyxgx in forum Welcome to Perth!
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: 09-01-2015, 12:10 AM
    2. So many questions as I plan my move to Perth!
      By P.D in forum Welcome to Perth!
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 24-03-2014, 06:39 PM
    3. General Questions about PERTH
      By young_crunchy in forum Migration Issues
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: 25-04-2013, 10:15 AM
    4. renting in Perth.
      By lyndsey in forum Renting & Real Estate
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: 14-12-2012, 03:00 AM
    5. Replies: 4
      Last Post: 05-01-2012, 12:12 PM