Clarkson??

k&k

Lol!

Well, my brother lives in Clarkson, and it's where we stayed for the first 5 weeks we were here. It really depends what kind of lifestyle you are after. For us it was too quiet, too much like suburbia and seemed a million miles away from anywhere. From where he lives you need to either drive or get the bus to the train station (and outside of peak times they are not frequent buses!) and to prove that hardly anyone walks anywhere there weren't even any pavements on most streets!

There are some shops at Ocean Boulevard, like a Coles, Woolworths, Kmart, Bunnings and other stores, but it's not a major shopping centre. It's not far from the beach at Quinns Rock or Mindarie - Mindarie being a nice place to go and have a meal - the Indian Ocean Brewing Company is a nice spot on the marina.

It takes about 30 mintues to drive into the City when there is no traffic, and you'll probably find if you live up there that you wouldnt venture into the City all that often as you'll find more local places to go.

House prices are still quite cheap, bro got his 5 bed house with a pool on quite a large block for $380k a year ago. But then it does have a bit of a 'reputation' as a less than popular place to live. Since my bro has been living there the only bit of crime has been a bunch of kids throwing rocks at his fiances car as she drove past - it still has the dents to prove it!

i don't want to sound too negative about the place as I'm sure it suits a lot of people. We went from there to Subiaco, we'd rather have a 2 bed unit in a great location than a cheaper 4 bed house up in Clarkson, but then we haven't got kids and it's just the two of us.

Thanks Nicola, that's really helpful, it sounds good to me now!! we are a bit older and have 2 kids so cheaper house prices are a bonus, don't mind driving and there are 2 Catholic schools which is a plus for us as my boys go to one now, was worried about it being a bit rough, but hey we hardly live in poshville at the moment lol and kids can be trouble wherever you live if there's nothing for them to do. We have looked at Quinns Rock too, Ellen Brook and Butler, all of which seem fabulously sunny and lovely compared to miserable, grey, old England but I did like the look of the older houses in Clarkson, so much more room! I think we'll have to have a good drive round when we get there and get a feel for them all, check out schools and do the work commute, Thanks again.

We have just come back from that area - went to validate visa. We like Jindalee but its a bit more pricey and next to the beach. Currambine is a nice area and close to Joondalup which has everything you need. To be honest all these suburbs are so close to each other have a good look around the whole area! I would love to live in Burns Beach !!! But we are not that rich lol. There are alot of new suburbs being built all the way up from Clarkson.We are a family with 2 little ones and 2 older children. We love the laid back quiet life with the little ones and the big ones can easily get a train to the city !

Guest AUSSIE FINANCE BROKER

Clarkson is a great place to buy that first home.

It is across the road to Mindarie.

It is close to train, loads of good schools, shopping centres,beaches.

Lot of others from Uk live there.

Great place to start in Aus.

Prices are very reasonable. Most $490k or less.

You can buy a really nice house for around $400k.

With current low interest rates that can work out very reasonable.

Most of the homes are pretty new and there are plenty of parks to make up for the smaller blocks.

I know plenty of people who kive in Clarkson and they are very happy there,

Guest Jamjar
We have just come back from that area - went to validate visa. We like Jindalee but its a bit more pricey and next to the beach. Currambine is a nice area and close to Joondalup which has everything you need. To be honest all these suburbs are so close to each other have a good look around the whole area! I would love to live in Burns Beach !!! But we are not that rich lol. There are alot of new suburbs being built all the way up from Clarkson.We are a family with 2 little ones and 2 older children. We love the laid back quiet life with the little ones and the big ones can easily get a train to the city !

Is Burns Beach really that more expensive, I have looked on Real Estate web site and saw the prices, but was hoping you might be able to get a deal by going to the show home developers. Did you look into that when there?

Were up there over the weekend to visit a couple of house builders. Personally I would touch it with a very long barge pole.

Middle of nowhere feel, mass suburbia and unless you have bags of money are going to be a LONG way from the beach. Also didn't think the prices for blocks were any good. Remember that the cheaper blocks are very small and require a 2 story house. In Oz that means $500k on top of land price.

Guest Cozzy

Just thought id offer my findings having just returned from Perth. We looked all round these areas and spoke to lots of home builders and Estate agents. Clarkson, it seems has a very bad reputation. Why we cant quite work out. When you speak to anyone who deals in property and mention Clarkson they just shake there head!

We also had this reaction a couple of times when we mentioned Butler. We drove round both areas and thought they looked quite nice with nice houses and parks. So if anyone can shine some light on why they have bad reputations please let us know? The blocks are cheaper in these areas thats for sure.

In regards to Burns Beach..Yes its lovely but you sure pay for the Lovelyness!! Blocks are around the $250k mark and then you need to bulid a house! So in total my guess is $600k upwards min to buy and build there. Our resarch on Burns is that its a little bit in no mans land in regards to schools so be careful. Most who can afford to live there send their kids to private. There has been talk for some time that they will build a school there but not yet. And its very windy!! If i paid a $million for a beach front house and couldnt even sit and have a quiet BBQ without all the stuff blowing away it would get right on my nerves! For that reason I would be at Hilarys with my $million home.

Currambine, Connolly, are both very nice. Our favourite place was Iluka, its got good schools in its catchment and its just beautiful...but again you pay for the privilage i can tell you!!

Dave

We were in Burns Beach at the beginning of April and Land in Burns Beach is a lot of money we went to the land sales office and price for land is $500k up to 745k most are in the upper price range then you have to build a house! A 2 storey house costs a lot more to build and the time scale to build it is also a lot longer.For us (we come from a small village in the UK) this area is not the middle of nowhere it has everything we need and we would be more than happy living here. Jindalee is a smaller suburb compared to Burns Beach and we walked from our rental in Butler over to the beach in Jindalee, so basically anywhere you live in Jindalee you can walk to the beach! We looked at show homes and were surprised how small a block could fit large spacious house and even the single storeys.

We use to live in Currambine and really like Connolly but would love to walk to the beach and coastal walks . Iluka has always been pricey and has held its price. Be very careful to find out the catchment areas!! We lived very close to Ocean Reef high school when we were in Currambine but my daughter had to go past it on her bus to Belridge seemed crazy and not overly happy.

Edited by debra

Guest Cozzy
We were in Burns Beach at the beginning of April and Land in Burns Beach is a lot of money we went to the land sales office and price for land is $500k up to 745k most are in the upper price range then you have to build a house! A 2 storey house costs a lot more to build and the time scale to build it is also a lot longer.For us (we come from a small village in the UK) this area is not the middle of nowhere it has everything we need and we would be more than happy living here. Jindalee is a smaller suburb compared to Burns Beach and we walked from our rental in Butler over to the beach in Jindalee, so basically anywhere you live in Jindalee you can walk to the beach! We looked at show homes and were surprised how small a block could fit large spacious house and even the single storeys.

We use to live in Currambine and really like Connolly but would love to walk to the beach and coastal walks . Iluka has always been pricey and has held its price. Be very careful to find out the catchment areas!! We lived very close to Ocean Reef high school when we were in Currambine but my daughter had to go past it on her bus to Belridge seemed crazy and not overly happy.

Its only in no mans land for schools!! Dont get me wrong here, I would live at Burns Beach tomorrow if I could!! Cant afford too! All the Ocean Reef catchment is quite pricey. We found of all the Ocean Reef catchment suburbs Currambine was the cheapest. But only half of Currumbine is in the catchment !! All around that area is nice imo.

Guest Jamjar
Just thought id offer my findings having just returned from Perth. We looked all round these areas and spoke to lots of home builders and Estate agents. Clarkson, it seems has a very bad reputation. Why we cant quite work out. When you speak to anyone who deals in property and mention Clarkson they just shake there head!

We also had this reaction a couple of times when we mentioned Butler. We drove round both areas and thought they looked quite nice with nice houses and parks. So if anyone can shine some light on why they have bad reputations please let us know? The blocks are cheaper in these areas thats for sure.

In regards to Burns Beach..Yes its lovely but you sure pay for the Lovelyness!! Blocks are around the $250k mark and then you need to bulid a house! So in total my guess is $600k upwards min to buy and build there. Our resarch on Burns is that its a little bit in no mans land in regards to schools so be careful. Most who can afford to live there send their kids to private. There has been talk for some time that they will build a school there but not yet. And its very windy!! If i paid a $million for a beach front house and couldnt even sit and have a quiet BBQ without all the stuff blowing away it would get right on my nerves! For that reason I would be at Hilarys with my $million home.

Currambine, Connolly, are both very nice. Our favourite place was Iluka, its got good schools in its catchment and its just beautiful...but again you pay for the privilage i can tell you!!

Dave

Thanks for the info, really appreciated. Regarding the wind, totally agree - I would be very upset at paying that kind of money for that to happen - I thought that Iluka and Hilaries would be the same - wind wise as they dont look that far apart on the map.

Guest Cozzy
Thanks for the info, really appreciated. Regarding the wind, totally agree - I would be very upset at paying that kind of money for that to happen - I thought that Iluka and Hilaries would be the same - wind wise as they dont look that far apart on the map.

You would think so but for some reason Burns is quite windy!! And i know people who have sold and moved to Hillarys for that reason. But having said that if your house is located right on the beach road then I think you are going to have this problem. Nothing that a nice taylor made glass panel wind break wont cure though! Most have these fitted. Nice problem to have though!! The houses are stunning! D

just had to put my 2 penneth in :)

Clarkson has some nice sides to it, and the same with butler, I've got friend of a friend who lives there and they have no bother...

we live in currambine, and its nice, but it has its downsides as well - mainly the idiots driving up to the station :nah:, but you get that everywhere...

burns beach is lovely, its got lots of positives and plots are at a premium if you are beach side of marmion. iluka is fab and is hopefully where we will end up, its great for families, they have a residents association that everyone has to pay into so that the public areas and pathways etc are all kept neat and tidy - its all really lovely. it is expensive but it depends what you want and what you are happy with...

we liked jindalee but it just felt a little too out of the way.

my little boy goes to currambine catholic primary school - its great, he will hopefully go to either sacred heart or prendiville, but it is notoriously difficult to get them into sacred heart unless they are gifted/talented or sporting :)

taking everything into account, the so-called bad areas are no where near as bad as the ones in the UK - its completely different - IMHO :biggrin:

Guest Cozzy

You'll notice I put Hillarys and not Hillarys Harbour!! Although I dont think the Harbour is that bad for it to be called tacky cheap and nasty... Pomsville with Fish and chips!! LOL. After all its a multi million dollar yacht harbour with a couple of shops and a little beach and thats it. What the hell does Pomsville mean anyway?? This is a PerthPoms Forum!

Edited by Cozzy

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Reidy

All comes down to the dosh !! Anyone want to know about Clarkson I can let you know ! Don't think it is on the moon !! Anywhere in Perth is going to take you 20 mins !! Or more when Yr in traffic on the freeway ! If you don't drive get a licence !! I'm 3 minutes from the ocean by car !!