Help with deposit for first time buyers on a new or new build house???

Guest Tony4052

Just bought a place and I agree with the above ref $7k being swept up in the fee's. You also get a different rate for Stamp Duty (which is assess on anything over $500k) this saved us a big chunk of money. I have just been through the whole house buying process so please ask away if you have anymore questions...

Now we've got our PR we are going to look into buying our first place in Perth and we've been a bit confused over the first time buyers grant and the stamp duty thresholds (and the fact it's added to your loan and not paid outright like in the UK?) and mortgage insurance (if you only have 5% deposit..).

Basically we are looking at buying something in the $500k-$600k range, anyone have an idea of how much money we'll need to put down, how much we'll need for any fees and how much repayments are likely to be?

Gonna need at Least $35,000 incl dep and mortgage insurance. Unless you can get a bank who are happy to capatalise (add on) the insurance to the mortgage. If your buying land and house usually you will need to settle on land first and pay stamp duty upfront, you then claim it back once you start building. There is also another grant for legal fees etc up to $2000 available subject to criteria.

With a small deposit the lending criteria changes bank west for example on a 95% mortgage require you to have been in oz 12 months and working for at least 6. Commonwealth don't and so on. If your in the Perth area I can give you the details of our mortgage advisor he is very good.

Another thing we found is that some banks dont accept a lump sum coming over from the UK as "genuine savings" and will not lend you money unless you have a proven savings record here in Australia, not easy when you are renting! Our 7k actually got taken off our mortgage so we owe less, we couldnt use it for the deposit.

Edited by Give me a break!

With a small deposit the lending criteria changes bank west for example on a 95% mortgage require you to have been in oz 12 months and working for at least 6. Commonwealth don't and so on. If your in the Perth area I can give you the details of our mortgage advisor he is very good.

If you wouldn't mind PM'ing me the details of your broker that would be great, nice to use someone who's proven they know what they are doing! We'll be going for a 95% mortgage but will have been here over 12 months, in a job for that length of time and any savings will be what we've saved since being here as we didn't bring any over with us. So hopefully once we hit that magic figure for a deposit there shouldn't be too much of an issue getting a mortgage sorted. Just means we need to be a bit disciplined over the next few months to build up a 5% deposit!

Guest Mckhenry

Hi Nicolac34,

Even if you haven't saved the 5% in gen savings, the banks that deal in non gen savings will take into account rent paid and any amounts paid on debts over and above the minimum repayments.

Different lenders do have differing mortgage insurance criteria, even through there are pretty much only two mortgage insurers operating in Australia. You need to make sure you get it right first time, if you get a decline at one lender, it makes it very difficult to get a yes somewhere else.

Regards,

Michael

http://loansmyway.com.au