Questions about Renting in Perth

alycat

Hi all

I know that it's a renters market in Perth right now but I'm curious about how easy it actually is to secure a rental?

What sort of time frame is it from application to approval?

We don't have any rental references so I'm wondering if it will be harder for us?

Also there are a few in the $350 price mark we are looking at, would it be far fetched to see if we can negotiate $300 a week if we paid 6months rent in advance?

Hi, we're looking at the moment and the process is really quick where we are looking at (SOR Willetton), we enquired about properties at the agent's office on Thursday and we managed to look round 3 on friday, had a second look round one of them on Saturday and we will put our application in on Monday. We've been told the application will be processed within 24 hours and we would possibly be able to sign the rental agreement if successful on Wednesday. Generally you have to pay the bond which is 4 weeks rent and 2 weeks rent in advance on the day that you sign the agreement. The rental charge period wont start until you pick up the keys.

All you need reference wise are 2 personal reference contacts per applicant who may or may not be contacted depending on the strength of the rest of the application.

As for negotiating, I doubt whether you would be able to get $50 off a week but if you dont ask you don't get, especially if you are offering to pay in advance. Every house we have looked at had at least 4 other families looking round also, and as we are looking in a popular catchment area the rent pretty much is what it is. However if you're not in that situation then things could be different.

Best of luck

Hi, I think paying six months in advance would definitely help you negotiate a rental. Whether the owner is prepared to take that much less, I expect would depend on how long it has been empty, so I would keep an eye on the properties / area you're interested in and warch how long they are advertised for before (presumably) being rented.

What areas are you looking at ?

If you are looking Northern suburbs, you could probably get a rental for under $300 in places like Merriwa or Clarkson. A friend just dropped their rental to $280 in Merriwa, although it was filled in a few days.

When are you coming over?

I've got a furnished / unfurnished house in Mullaloo available from Mid Febuary :) PM me if interested.

Also, in the current market you could be in a vacant property in a week. Some owners will definitely want references, however for most, six months in advance will suffice.

$350 to $300 may be a bit much of a drop (14%). $330 may be more reasonable, see how long it has been on the market and what comparable properties are going for (& how many are available) The longer it has been empty, the better your chances of getting cheaper rent.

Although, I do know somebody who negotiated their rent down to $400 from $430 when their lease was up last year.

Hi, I think paying six months in advance would definitely help you negotiate a rental. Whether the owner is prepared to take that much less, I expect would depend on how long it has been empty, so I would keep an eye on the properties / area you're interested in and warch how long they are advertised for before (presumably) being rented.

If you are looking Northern suburbs, you could probably get a rental for under $300 in places like Merriwa or Clarkson. A friend just dropped their rental to $280 in Merriwa, although it was filled in a few days.

I've got a furnished / unfurnished house in Mullaloo available from Mid Febuary :) PM me if interested.

Also, in the current market you could be in a vacant property in a week. Some owners will definitely want references, however for most, six months in advance will suffice.

Hi Ingrid,

Can you send me the details of your place in Mullaloo please? I move over on Australia day. Ideally I'm looking for somewhere a bit closer to the city but I really like Mullaloo. Great playground and beach

thanks,

Colin

Hi, we're looking at the moment and the process is really quick where we are looking at (SOR Willetton), we enquired about properties at the agent's office on Thursday and we managed to look round 3 on friday, had a second look round one of them on Saturday and we will put our application in on Monday. We've been told the application will be processed within 24 hours and we would possibly be able to sign the rental agreement if successful on Wednesday. Generally you have to pay the bond which is 4 weeks rent and 2 weeks rent in advance on the day that you sign the agreement. The rental charge period wont start until you pick up the keys.

All you need reference wise are 2 personal reference contacts per applicant who may or may not be contacted depending on the strength of the rest of the application.

As for negotiating, I doubt whether you would be able to get $50 off a week but if you dont ask you don't get, especially if you are offering to pay in advance. Every house we have looked at had at least 4 other families looking round also, and as we are looking in a popular catchment area the rent pretty much is what it is. However if you're not in that situation then things could be different.

Best of luck

Ah, so I'm looking at about a week from application to keys then it sounds from your experience.

In your opinion do you think personal references can be from people abroad (i.e. Not in Perth)?

Yes we are looking for NOR, and I have seen places in merriwa and Quinn's for as low as 260$ aircon 4*2! We don't want to move that far out if we can help it but I guess I'll have to see what's available at the time.

We won't need anywhere till June, but thanks!

Ah, so I'm looking at about a week from application to keys then it sounds from your experience.

In your opinion do you think personal references can be from people abroad (i.e. Not in Perth)?

Yes, it can be that quick if the property is empty and available immediately like the one we like is. Others have had a date on them depending on when the current lease is up. You are really at the mercy of what's available at the time you are looking to move in.

We have already got references from my old work in the UK about my character and from our selling agent in the Uk saying how well our house was presented when we sold it. We also kept our sales brochure to prove how well presented the house was. I have been told to get another personal reference for our character and old house from a friend of us both who came to the house regularly to be emailed over. The agent said that if we physically hand in these references then they wouldn't need to be contacted so it would be a good idea to get these shortly before you come to save time at application.

The agent said that if we physically hand in these references then they wouldn't need to be contacted so it would be a good idea to get these shortly before you come to save time at application.

Thanks for the tips!

So do these references have to be an actual written out letter reference? I was thinking a reference could just be a name and a contact number/ email?

Thanks for the tips!

So do these references have to be an actual written out letter reference? I was thinking a reference could just be a name and a contact number/ email?

It is best to have written references, and they should contain contact details of the Referee too as sometimes agents will still want to contact them to confirm the references are genuine. Not that agents are saying that you are a dodgy person, it is just that a small minority have ruined it for everyone by forging references in recent months.

Consider putting together an "application pack" that contains written references from landlord if you have one, or your estate agent if you own and are selling your property. It is also a good idea to have photos of the inside and outside of your property to show how you maintained it. I even heard of one family who had never rented before, getting their old neighbours to write a reference about what good neighbours they had been... no loud parties... community minded etc. As always, the more prepared you are, the easier it will be.

It is best to have written references, and they should contain contact details of the Referee too as sometimes agents will still want to contact them to confirm the references are genuine. Not that agents are saying that you are a dodgy person, it is just that a small minority have ruined it for everyone by forging references in recent months.

Consider putting together an "application pack" that contains written references from landlord if you have one, or your estate agent if you own and are selling your property. It is also a good idea to have photos of the inside and outside of your property to show how you maintained it. I even heard of one family who had never rented before, getting their old neighbours to write a reference about what good neighbours they had been... no loud parties... community minded etc. As always, the more prepared you are, the easier it will be.

Thanks that's really helpful.