shipping company packing stuff from another storage container is this ok?

bwatt99

We have some household items stored in a location away from house that i was buying over the years,past weeks months and items we wanna take,they are all still boxed as new,some thrown into bigger boxed temp to keep them clean etc and,some stuff flat packed and not even been made yet,I also have a few items from our home we wanna take with us also but also some stuff we wanna dump leave behind,I also need to do some jobs around the house so i can put up for sale or rent and i have a plan.

Im not sure if it will work but im sure some of you will tell me.I was planning on renting a container for the remaining months before we go,shift the stuff we want to take with us from the house to this container and the stuff i have stored away at the location so all the stuff we have is in one place,we will live with basic stuff at home,and sell on nearer time,dump whats left in the house and anything still in house we need with us take them to the guys on the day of packing.

This way i have all my stuff at one location,im able to get going with the house jobs without anything in our way,well most of it out of the way and when we get quotes from shippers we can show all stuff in that location.

But this is the question do these shipping guys have to pack there container,wrap etc etc from a house or can they do this from the container i may rent?Has anyone do this or know someone who has,i also think it maybe in our favour as our place in in the town centre a flat and has a very busy street at front,there is a bit of ground next to us,but the guy who owns the shop is his,he may allow us to put a container in there until we are packed or he may not.

If he did not then this could be a nightmare due to our location,this is why i though of this rented container.for putting all in one location and it being better place to load our stuff it would be a number of miles away from our house, but anything we would need to take with us we would take it out there before they came,leaving pretty much nothing left in the house apart as said stuff we want rid of etc.

I just wonder if this is a good idea as our place is a little compact,have a lot of stuff and want to get some house jobs done etc,and then as said get some quotes i thought it best doing this from our rented container than from house.

Hi bwatt99

I spoke to Liam @ PSS International Removals about this and he said that if you were set on hiring a container to enable you to store and sort out items, he could put you in touch with a company called Royal Wharf which arranges these types of containers. He then didn't see any issue in nearer the time, a shipping/removal company coming along with their shipping container and packing the items in the storage container and transferring them over to the shipping container.

If you want to chat to liam, send him an email @ liam@p-s-s.co.uk

Just out of interest (not directly related to what you plan to do), Liam had this to say on the subject of if anyone was planning to obtain their own container and ship that container at a later date.

I strongly wouldn't recommend that the customer chooses this route as this will either cause problems when booking their container with the shipping line or when the container arrives in Australia.

Basically shipping lines do not so easily allow shipping containers to be hired for storage as their is always a worldwide shortage of shipping containers and a high demand to ship them, the shipping lines earn their profits by shipping as many containers on the fewest vessels, so they aren't really going to make it too attractive for private individuals or companies like us to hire them for long periods.

Most containers that are used for storage on land or farm land are either de-commissioned containers that have exceeded the shipping safety age and cannot be shipped, or containers that have been designed purely for container storage.

On each container their is a silver plate on the front door, this is like a cars conformity plate or service record as each shipping line will be able to use the reference numbers and coding on this plate to track when it was first commissioned to determine the age and also

the voyages and vessels it has been on.

Sometimes a shipping line will not accept a container that isn't one supplied by themselves or if it has been stored on land for a period of time they could refuse the container if it has not been externally washed and cleaned.

This may also increase the chances of AQIS in Australia fumigating and cleaning the container upon arrival, especially if this isn't a shipping lines container.