Willetton? Any opinions?

Hi

I have been looking at schools online and Willetton High School seems to get a good review. We know that we will need to visit places when we arrive to get a proper feel, but wondered if anyone has stayed or stays in Willetton and what they think of it.

Thanks

Bee

Edited by beesenior

Hi Bee,

We stayed in Willetton for a few weeks when we first arrived and to be honest we hated it but i wouldn't let that put you off, it's a 'nice' suburb. There's a lot going for it; green spaces, quiet, convenient location, great transport links but suburbia just isn't for us.

My kids hated the school, it was very academically focussed and fiercely competitive. I was asked to speak to my sons teacher because they were concerned about his immaturity. He was 8 years old!

I'd advise caution when choosing a school based upon league tables and results, it may work for some but is it right for your child?

There's absolutely nothing 'wrong' with the place, for us Willetton is just too vanilla and having moved from London we needed somewhere a little more creative.

Check it out when you're here, you may love it.

I hear you Ports but then again you have just described a large number of Perth's suburbs, i.e. nice but bland. The experience I have is that my business partner has lived in Willetton for 10 years now after moving from Troon / Ayr. He likes it for the reasons you say plus he likes the fact that his kids have easy access to what he considers both good primary and high schools. Interestly he talks very highly of the high school but again take your point. The big plus for him and his family is the house and block sizes in Willetton and how close to the city and other key locations it is. The only issue was that he could not afford to move so he had to renovate. A decent suburb means higher costs in terms of housing as we all know. All that said I would stick this suburb on a short list if I wanted to be just south of the river, near the city and have lots of other amenities close to hand.

I live in a neighbouring suburb - Leeming, like Willetton, both are older so you won't get many new builds, but you usually got a lot of space. My children are both quite different - my daughter academic, my son sporty and social (but not dumb) and have done/are doing well at Leeming Senior High.

We love the area, it's very close to lots of amenities.

Like Ali I live in a neighbouring suburb to Willetton. Willetton is a large older suburb with very few new buildhouses, but the blocks are a good size and bigger than the newer areas. Willetton SHS has a very good reputation and friends children who attended there have achieved academically. Plenty of parks and sports clubs; Southlands Shopping Centre is OK and also houses a cinema complex. Serviced well by bus routes to the station at Bull Creek, and a short train journey into the CBD; 15 minute drive into Fremantle.

Rents in Willetton and Rossmoyne catchment zones will be higher than other suburbs, those in Leeming aren't cheap either. Our suburbs don't get mentioned much with North of the river and further south being mentioned most on the boards, but certainly one to add to the list in my opinion.