So many questions as I plan my move to Perth!

P.D

Hi All,

A lot of thoughts/ questions in my mind, as I type my first post on PerthPoms. Though, I saw many responses and that's indeed encouraging...so here I go... Writing from India, 29 yrs, I'm an HR professional- now planning my move with wife to Perth after receiving PR (190) in late Feb. It was a smooth sail so far- took me less than 8 months to get the visa- while I was slightly anxious through the process- I now realize that the rather tough part begins now- so here to seek help :)

Not sure if this is the right approach to planning my move- I'm thinking to hunt for a job in Perth before actually moving over. What concerns me is- HR really isn't a field where I'll find jobs easily (my experience with the job hunt so far indicates they prefer locals for HR jobs) plus, recruiters mostly do not entertain candidates who're based outside Australia like me. Going by this trend, may be I should move over to Perth and continue my job search- looking for your suggestions here! If yes, then what is the better time to move- coz I heard job availability is rather cyclical in nature in Aus- is that true? Weather really isn't a concern for us, so I'm okay with any season....many questions to follow but these ones are the most critical pieces of information for me- so your thoughts would be really helpful :) Thanks in advance!!

Hi PD

Welcome to PP! We obtained our visa last June and will be arriving in May. We have tried (casually) to find a job before moving. I applied for one role and had an interview but it was evident they had someone else lined up. I think we have pretty much decided to really start the search when we arrive as my OH is working out his 3 month notice (most Ozzies are on 1 month) and we are holidaying for a month before the move. Plus everyone has said that you need to be there!

I know everyone says avoid December to February as the schools break up and generally recruitment slows down.

Hopefully others who have first hand experience will be along to advise. :smile:

Lou

Hi PD welcome :)

Were still in UK.

Although my OH has been unsuccessful with all applications sent to date , were still hopeful to find work before we go out.

I on the other hand havent started to apply yet. But Ill be transferring my registration over in April and then will start too. Were not moving out until Oct latest:)

Can only try, no harm in trying!

Good luck

The vast majority of people have to move to Oz without a job as a lot of employers won't consider people until they are in the country.

I would avoid coming between November and february as a lot of companies don't recruit in this period. So this time of year is good and around may / June is very good as a lot of companies start their new budgets on the 1st of July.

Thanks All, that's helpful to know. I should take my decision rather quickly now, I have to be in Oz latest by Dec, guess it makes sense to move there as early in the year as possible. I've to provide one month's notice to my employer in Inda, which seems doable at this stage. I'll be back with more Qs over the coming days:-) thanks again!