Best secondary school for child with aspergers

Cathm

Hi our family is relocating to Perth mid 2015 with our 10 year old son who has high functioning aspergers. I am after any advice on suitable secondary schools, either public or private. He does not require any extra assistance just an understanding school. He is a bright, lovely, friendly kid and the right school will make all the difference. Thanks for reading. Regards Catherine

Hi Catherine

As you have not put if you will be south or north of Perth l have given you a link of all the schools which you can scroll through or if you have an area you can pick the local schools. There are a few schools which have special Ed schools attached to main stream schools like Duncraig Senior for example which is North Perth. The system is completely different here and maybe you can contact some schools to find what they have to offer.... http://www.det.wa.edu.au/schoolsonline/home.do hope it helps.

Hi our family is relocating to Perth mid 2015 with our 10 year old son who has high functioning aspergers. I am after any advice on suitable secondary schools, either public or private. He does not require any extra assistance just an understanding school. He is a bright, lovely, friendly kid and the right school will make all the difference. Thanks for reading. Regards Catherine

I think going to a school with a unit attached is a good idea, not that your son will need it but staff will have some experience dealing with kids on the autism spectrum and it might be able to be used as somewhere for him to go for short periods if things get too much. Also students with more severe disabilities may be integrated into some lessons so the students are use to dealing with difference and may be more empathetic and less chance of bullying. The pastoral care in private schools tend to be much better, I don't know if that is an option for you. Are you Catholic? Catholic education is separate from WA ed department and have their own special end consultants who visit schools and different funding. Depending on the school they may take non Catholics. May be worth having a look at Cath Ed web site.

Hi thanks for that, we are catholic but not practicing ones so I think this may cause a problem getting into a catholic school. We are open to any school (within £ reason). I am struggling to find what age a child needs to be to enter year 7, do you happen to know? Am I correct in thinking that things are cheaper north of the river?

Hi thanks for that, we are catholic but not practicing ones so I think this may cause a problem getting into a catholic school. We are open to any school (within £ reason). I am struggling to find what age a child needs to be to enter year 7, do you happen to know? Am I correct in thinking that things are cheaper north of the river?

The year 7 kids entering in 2015 were born between 1st July 2002 and 30th June 2003. Hope that helps.

Year 1 is for children turning six years of age by 30 June of the year they start Year 1.

Year 2 is for children turning seven years of age by 30 June of the year they start Year 2.

Year 3 is for children turning eight years of age by 30 June of the year they start Year 3.

Year 4 is for children turning nine years of age by 30 June of the year they start Year 4.

Year 5 is for children turning 10 years of age by 30 June of the year they start Year 5.

Year 6 is for children turning 11 years of age by 30 June of the year they start Year 6.

Year 7 is for children turning 12 years of age by 30 June of the year they start Year 7.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Catherine,

As a mother of a child with Autism (primary aged) I have been looking into this subject a lot, but only in my local area. I currently live NOR in Butler, which is up near Quinns Rocks and Mindarie. Butler College opened up a few years ago and they have apparently got a fantastic special needs stream that is integrated with mainstream. The school is HUGE and is still expanding in size and it even boasts an indoor swimming pool. Although your son doesn't need the special needs stream it is certainly a good indication of the school's willingness to understand and work with kids/young adults who require a bit of extra help (or simply understanding).

The Butler College has become so popular because of it's strict uniform policy and high expectation of student attitude and respect that it's become (unfortunately) impossible for anyone outside of the catchment area to gain admittance to the school. So strict is this policy that they require at least three utility bills with your name on them, bills that show you (not your mum, friend or a tenant of yours) actually reside in Butler, so an electricity bill, phone bill and lease (if you rent). The school also require that every student own an Apple Macbook laptop computer (a good $1600+ each) and the uniforms are apparently quite expensive, as are the text books the computers are supposed to replace and there is still the $300 "voluntary" payment per student. It is an Independent Public School, which means they are government funded but have control over their staffing and budget (for the most part) as well as other things.

I've heard good things about the school from parents and the teenagers I've spoken to that attend there all seem to like going there, albeit in their compulsory uniform with school emblem embroidered socks and compulsory black shoes...!

Good luck with your search, and if you end up living up this way you should probably consider Butler College.

Thanks so much for your reply, we have been looking into some schools but had not heard of Butler College, I will look at their website from what you say it sounds promising. Have you heard anything about Woodvale Secondary College or Ocean Reef High School? I have heard that they are also good and the latter has an autism extension program apparently.

• 2 years later...

Hi Catherine I'm intrigued to know how you went and if you found a school that catered

• 5 years later...

On 02/01/2015 at 19:22, Cathm said:

Hi Cathm! Tell us which school you have chosen, right now we are also looking for a school for our child with autism.  What school did you go to?