Thoughts on Butler?

Just looking at potential suburbs for us to set up home during our first year or so and Butler seems ridiculously good value compared to other suburbs -any reason for this?

I know it's quite far north but we have family in Burns Beach anyway and that's not too far away. Train station is up and running there now as well so trips to and from the city shouldn't be too bad.

Just wanting some opinions really. Good and bad.

Cheers folks.

Look at some old posts, some people hate it, shame Rob is not about so much these days as he opened a dome in Butler and could probably give you the low down. We are also looking at butler, QuinnsRock, carramar, ridge wood for the same reasons as yourself. Akimos is a bit far but nice and new. I think the issue is until you are their you won't get a feel for where the house is. We over the look of a Show home but when we was out in November and walked around it we hated it.

Yeah Jason, I think you're right. I've seen a few people complaining that there are Westcoast Homes (or something like that) in the area but to be honest I'm not snobby enough go around judging people based solely on the fact that they live in council houses.

Akimos is a new one to me. Thanks for they tip. I'll have a butchers when I get chance.

Butler has a quite a few properties that people bought for investment to rent out as the prices were good when the suburb was first going up, if you do venture there you will be surprised how nice it is, it has shops not all in a mall, the dome, a pub all by lakes and playgrounds instead of being all around houses this gives a nice feel when entering. Alkimos is a lot newer with smaller plots . The further you go north the prices are better then the prices catch up after time.

What about Iluka? That's a long way out of Perth and modern, so should be good value. Don't know Butler, sorry...not ventured out that way.

You cant really compare Iluka with Butler, what sells for $500k in Butler sells for $800k+ in Iluka, what rents for $400wk in Butler rents for $800wk in Iluka, if you want Butler prices but closer to Burns Beach then you looking at Kinross, but you wont get the newer homes, the best you will do and be closer to Burns Beach (7km) is the new Catalina estate in Clarkson, ther are a few for rent between $4-500wk and sell for about the same as Butler, its all brand new and similarly priced to Butler, you have the station nearby, close to the freeway and Ocean Keys shopping centre on your doorstep

We stayed in Butler for 3 weeks when we came over to validate our visas in 2011, rented a 4x2 and really liked the place.

I've noticed a few of your other posts Mackemslayer, we're also looking to move over early Feb (need to arrive before 17th of Feb when visas expire)

We also have 2 children who will be aged 5 and 3 when we arrive, We'll be looking to settle somewhere north of Joondalup probably Butler, Quinns rocks etc. The wife loves the look of Alkimos but need to see it for myself as it was just being started when we over last.

The work situation is slight course for concern for me as the construction industry is pretty good again now in the UK but am confident i can pick something up over there, even if its labouring to get us going.

Wow! You're pretty much in the exact same boat as us then. Don't suppose your kids are boy (5) and girl (3) as well, are they?

In regards to work, I don't think you can let that hold you back. While every Tom, Dick and Harry will tell you that the WA economy is at an all-time low, I refuse to believe that there aren't any jobs at all out there. And like you, I would be more than happy to work as a labourer at first in order to keep a steady cash flow coming in.

As for Alkimos, I had a little look at some houses there last night and they do look nice. It's still a very new suburb though so not sure what transport links are like, which may be a concern for us.

We fly over in July, I am in the air conditioning industry which is also construction, I also have to retrain so I will stay in touch and let you know how we get on, I have girl 8 in July and girl 4 in September so I am sure they would all play if you want a catchup when you land next year.

No mate daughter will be 5 and son 3.

If you google alkimos beach it shows you everything they plan to build there, its pretty impressive IF it all goes ahead.

We'd like to be nearer Perth centre but are trying to keep the first 12 months as cheap as possible as its going to take me 6-12 months to get a WA electrical a grade licence to earn the better money. Don't really mind commuting for work I'm used to it over here.

I know a few lads working in the construction industry in WA, the companies they work for both have good order books for the next 12-18 months so hopefully any downturn will be nowhere near anything the UK has experienced the last 7 or so years!

• 2 months later...

Bumping this as Butler is still an area I'm very keen on and would love to know a little more about.

Done some more research this morning and Wikipedia tells me that the average age in this suburb is 28, which is also how old I'll be shortly after arriving. It is also said to be very poular amongst families with kids - again, this is great as I have two.

Prices still seem great for rentals compared to most other places and transport links appear to be solid now.

Sounds ideal on paper....

I will say go with an open but investigative mind.

Don't get too involved yet with your "favourite" areas until you are here and can get a real feel for them. Both of the areas we wanted turned out to be the two areas we disliked the most.

During the day, try to be a bit critical as the blue sky and things can make you a bit rose tinted.

Look at the roads for tyre marks - hoons are a major issue in many areas.

Pick up the local free paper and look through at any issues such as crimes

Make sure you also visit during the night. This will give you a feel for any issues that might be occurring. You don't want to sign a lease on a lovely house only to find that the neighbours like to party all night or that the area attracts a lot of drunks.

I will say go with an open but investigative mind.

Don't get too involved yet with your "favourite" areas until you are here and can get a real feel for them. Both of the areas we wanted turned out to be the two areas we disliked the most.

During the day, try to be a bit critical as the blue sky and things can make you a bit rose tinted.

Look at the roads for tyre marks - hoons are a major issue in many areas.

Pick up the local free paper and look through at any issues such as crimes

Make sure you also visit during the night. This will give you a feel for any issues that might be occurring. You don't want to sign a lease on a lovely house only to find that the neighbours like to party all night or that the area attracts a lot of drunks.

Some great advice here - cheers mate. Any idea where I could find recent crime stats online?