Primary Schools SOR

EmmaT

Hi,

I am just new to this site, husband has been offered a job in Perth so looks as if it is all go this end. I have an 8 year old daughter so am looking for some advice on schools SOR.......don't know much at all about the school system so any help on good primary schools would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Emma

Hi Ali, he will be working close to Mount Pleasant so ideally we are looking around this area and Applejack.......however, we also want to be realistic and find an area and school that, in future we would also be able to afford to buy so also looking further south such as Bibra Lake etc.....its all so new at the minute so head is swimming with everything!

Hi @EmmaT just wanted to welcome you to the forum.

I know @Rossmoyne use to work within education in some way so maybe she can give you some ideas.

From reading your post it sounds as though you have thought everything through, especially the part about renting in an area you can afford to buy. I didn't really think about that when we first touched down in Melbourne and rented for a couple of months where property was nearly 2 million to buy. We stayed there for three months and used this time to find a longer term rental and schools in an area where we would stay. We also chose a school where they went from prep all the way to year 12 as we didn't want them to change schools again. Unfortunately that bit didn't work out but they are stronger for it.

Applejack? Do you mean Applecross? I think one of the other things to note is to rent in an area that you could afford to buy if you liked it. We know people who rented in Applecross but couldn't afford to buy there and had to move.

We live in Leeming (not too far from mount pleasant) and the schools have good reputations. Someone posted a list of their considerations the other day in an area similar to where you're looking at.

http://www.perthpoms.com/forum/education/19095-good-primary-schools-south-river.html

There are some great schools around this area, but buying in some of the areas is very prohibitive. Applecross, Ardross, Mt Pleasant, Booragoon all have good schools but high house prices. So perhaps move out a bit and look at Brentwood, Bateman, Winthrop, Leeming, Willetton where property is a bit cheaper but the schools are as good.

Check out the government schools on http://www.det.wa.edu.au/schoolsonline/home.do. There should also be a catchment/local intake area map for each school to give you some idea for housing when you get that far.

• 1 year later...

We have settled in Willetton and have our youngest is in Rostrata. We are in a rental and cannot afford to buy. Our children's education was our priority when deciding to move here, not the house prices. We will not move out of the area just so we can buy somewhere cheaper, if we have to rent for 8 years, we will. Owning a house is not on our priority list at the moment. Renting can be a long term option, not just a short term one. If you like an area don't be put off by the house prices, buying isn't your only option.