What internet provider to use?

TomG

We're with iiNet at the moment but to be honest, they've been pretty standard. We're moving soon and we'll likely go with Internode because they offer a static IP and a lot of unmetered content.

The thing with ISP's is that everyone has good and bad experiences. We've had terrible experiences with Telstra, Vivid and Dodo but that's only when things have gone wrong. Up until that time they were great. Whenever iiNet went down they were always pretty good at fixing it though we were without connection for 8 days when the cable died and they couldn't find it :wacko:

Edited by portlaunay

Hi Tom I live in South Freo. I have Vivid Wireless. I didn't want a contract so just bought a hot spot (you can run I think 5 devices from it) for $79 then pay $79 a month for unlimited. It has worked really well although it is not fast enough to stream movies - downloading no probs just not streaming

I just cancelled my subscription to a provider called Spintel. Great and consistant service and cheapish compared to larger providers. Then I moved house and its failed to work since. Poor customer service in my view, and the only apparent solution was to pay over $200 for a technician to visit. I've since resigned with Telstra but waiting for my connection.

It depends entirely on his much streaming you do.

We are pretty heavy users - work stuff, gaming, Apple TV, music streaming and Netflix eat up our quota.

It's easy to overestimate your use and my advice would be to go for the lowest package for a couple of months and if you regularly reach your limit, just adjust your contract up. You won't lose out, you can 'top up' each month if you do hit your limit (iinet send us a text when we're close to ours).

I've heard good things about Internode and little seems to have changed since they were bought out by iiNet (I think)

Personally I'd rather commit to $30 a month than $70.

Like I say, you can always adjust up, they're not so keen to reduce the terms of your contract if you find your usage is way below. You might also find you can buy extra 'packets' each month if you do exceed 100gb and they might work out cheaper than going for the 1000gb.

I know 100 wouldn't be enough for us but then, like I say, we are pretty heavy users. I think 1000gb is massive, regular, domestic users would struggle to hit that.

That's the iiNet one and it's actually pretty good for normal use. I'd go with it and see how you get on, no point in splashing out unnecessarily.

If you aren't happy with it go chat with the guys at Storm computers on Leach, they'll be able to advise if you think you need an upgrade.

Glad I was able to help, let us know how it goes

We're with Optus on a monthly deal (cancel at any time) and it was $100/mth with unlimited internet plus phone included (calls cost extra). Then I have my pay monthly mobile phone deal on top of that and the total is $130/mth (although I think it's supposed to be $120/mth so I'm querying it). That covers all my mobile phone usage (data, texts, calls....think they are unlimited or so large an allowance it may as well be unlimited) plus any downloading. Never have a problem downloading, but sometimes it's a bit slow streaming at peak hours. On top of that they threw in 6 months Netflix, and Fetch TV. Anyway, I was thinking it was expensive but after reading the above I think it's a good deal....$79 a month for Internet with limits doesn't sound great.

• 3 weeks later...