Holiday accommodation or a rental?

Hey guys!

Just wondering what other people have done or will be doing when they first arrive.

is it best to stay in holiday accommodation for first 2weeks then choose a rental or can we secure a rental before we leave the uk? I didn't want to waste money on a hotel if we could in fact secure a rental.

Is it quick to rent a house? would 2 weeks in a hotel be enough even, would we need a month?

would love to hear what others have done, and thankyou so much in advance for replies.

this site is awesome and wish I used it more when I first emigrated lol

cheers guys

emily (& Hubby, Jamie)

x

Interested in this thread too, as we have been thinging the same - think we are going to do holiday rental for 4-6 weeks, may stay with friend in Bunbury too. ive looked and it looks cheaper to do a house/apartment holiday rental that hotel. Good luck.

Getting a rental in 2-3 weeks should be easy.

We we arrived in the middle of the boom when you would turn up to a rental viewing and their would be 20 others and a bidding war would start to try and get it and we got one in two weeks. Now, with 17,000 empty houses across Perth it is easy.

Thankyou @verystormy.

We figured we could always extend holiday accom if needed.

How long you need in a rental probably depends on how certain you are about the area you want to live in. If you need some time to look around and decide on an area then I'd allow at least 1-2 weeks for that. Some holiday lets are very well priced, in fact ours was cheaper than the house we rent now. There's so much to take in and get done during those first few weeks putting extra pressure on yourself would be a shame. There's a lot of choice in the rental market at the moment so hopefully you'll have lots to look at and have your pick of rentals

We are interested in this thread to. We have been looking into holiday lets to for 4 weeks. Hoping that is enough time to find a location we like and then secure a long term rental. Prices for holiday lets seem quite expensive. What do people consider a reasonable price to pay for a 3 bed holiday let around Joondalup?

SideShowDeb what website did u find your holiday let through?

We are interested in this thread to. We have been looking into holiday lets to for 4 weeks. Hoping that is enough time to find a location we like and then secure a long term rental. Prices for holiday lets seem quite expensive. What do people consider a reasonable price to pay for a 3 bed holiday let around Joondalup?

SideShowDeb what website did u find your holiday let through?

Hi,

I went through ozhouserentals.com.au and were very happy. Tracey is also on Facebook and I think there are extra pictures of the properties on the Facebook page.

We opted to rent a place for a month which gave us plenty of time to look around and view houses and arrange for Pickfords to deliver the contents of our container.

Hi

WE run a 'stepping stone' fully furnished home in Currambine for exactly this situation...

Generally you need to be in Australia to secure a long termed rental and sometimes they prefer an australian reference from a rental property ( we have provided countless to guests previously) Plus totally agree that you need to get a feel for each suburb and make sure you are happy

We reckon you need 4-6 weeks easily to look around and secure a place in an area you are happy with. To be honest the first few weeks are a bit busy with getting connected with phones, medicare, banks, hire care etc..... so give yourself some time in a holiday home/furnished place to take the stress off yourselves

Feel free to have a browse of our site

http://www.thebolt-hole.com

Germaine and Chris

• 2 months later...

When we came here in the early 80s we had to stay in the hotel for two nights as didn't know anything or anyone and there was no internet either:) Then we rented holiday apartment for two weeks in Scarborough and were able to find long term rental easily in Wembley. Both of these suburbs have lot of rental accommodation and are north of the river.Scarborough is much closer to the beach and Wembley is more inner city suburb but very nice. I cant remember what was the market then. Currently there are lot of vacancies so even two weeks can work for you. Having said that, when you actually start looking and by the time you may find something that ticks all the boxes can take longer than two weeks but probably not more than 4. My priority was primary school and only wanted to find accommodation very near the school. I guess you have to decide what is more important to you and family. Short term furnished accommodation is better than being in the hotel in my opinion. You may pay the same money per day but at least you have more room and can do your own cooking, laundry etc. If you have any questions regarding areas according to your requirements or priorities then let me know, I might be able to help you with some more information about the area such as primary schools or other facilities. Currently you can find furnished apartments in the city 1/2 bedrooms for less than $150 per night. Being in the city has advantages transport vise and paperwork as all main offices are there. Currently I am looking after a similar property, let me know if you need any information about it. Depending on when you are arriving and if that place has a vacancy, but I can find out for you. Hope that helps.

please check out our fully furnished rental......

http://www.thebolt-hole.com

Most of our emigrating families stay between 4-12 weeks

The advantage is the home is fully furnished, all bills included and allows you time to shop around for a longer term rental/schools/bank accounts/medicare cards etc...

We are vacant the month of May and then again from the end of september onwards....

Germaine