importing my motorbike

dunnyboy

hi guys.... we are coming over in November of this year and I would like to bring my bike as I know the price of used stuff is stupid.

its a 2002 Yamaha fzs600 worth around £1700 or $3200.

I have a few questions and any info would be great. I would like to just stick it in our container if possible... I know I will get stung for cleaning/ quarrentien costs... any idea of costs.. ball park ?

whats this points thing ive read about?

how much form filling at this end and in aus.... I know the aussies like a form ;-)

if anybody can shed as much light as possible on any of the pro's cons and pitfalls, I would be very grateful.

cheers, steve.

Hi Steve, brought in hubbys motorbike 3 years ago. Main thing is the amount of documents you have to produce to send off, evidence of continuous ownership, proof of ownership (yes they are different), plus the long form. All documents have to be verified as originals by someone in uk (again strict list of who can do this), cost wise - we got it in with our car in container, yes there is an import tax but it's not huge. It has to be cleaned within an inch of its life to pass quarantine and any good removalist will crate it for you. pM me if you want more details and I'll try find the paperwork

Hi mate,

i would say your about on the money for the resale value at about $3000 to $3500 that of course wouldn't include the cost of getting it here

a mate brought a bike out from the UK and managed to get it on the road and sorted apart from when he come to try and sell it it did take longer to move becouse it was an import even tho the same bike could be purchased here in WA.

one othere thing to consider is are you sure you want to ride here, I have owned bikes since I arrived 3 years ago and I'm just about to give it up and sell my Ducati Diavel I just feel it's not that safe here and the heat in summer is not great sitting on a bike in 40 degrees

i don't want to put you off and of course this is based on my experience but just something to think about,,,,,

I've been riding here for over eight years without issue, had more near death experiences in the uk than ever had here!!!

Agreed it's too hot at 40, but we really haven't had 40 degree days much over the last few years that I can remember, definitely better riding in winter here!

hi guys... thanks to all of you for replying.... I'm looking forward to getting out in some sunny weather....after all of these.. well... british summers.

we have been out to aus quite a few times over the years... my other halfs brother and sister live in WA and we have many friends that have emigrated out to perth too.. we are the last of the bunch to do it, so we have a good idea of the temps out there and are looking forward to it.

I know the aussies have a unique style of driving:wacko: and I kind of used to it.

once again thanks, and any info would be great

cheers, steve.

I have been contemplating whether it's worth bringing our bikes too. A 2003 GSX1400 and 2009 250ninja. I think I may struggle with the 250 as it isn't used but owned from new. I know the colours of my Gsx are not available in oz and there's not that many in sale ads but is it worth it. Also not sure if my helmet would be legal as it's got one of the EC stickers inside etc.

That sounds interesting. I know my helmet is legal to use in Queensland now they are accepting ECE 22.05 compliment helmets. Hopefully the other states will follow suit too by the time I get out there in a couple of years as I love my helmet and it is a very good one being an Arai RX-7 GP Haslam.

I used to have a gsx1400 k2 in blue and white ( the fastest colours.... had it for 8 years.. sold it because I found it too heavy with my aching back.

I agree I have the blue and white K3. I love it and find it so comfortable I can ride it all day. Compared to my bandit 650 k8 I had previously I find it much lighter to handle and throw about. Hope WA change the helmet certification in line with Qld so I can bring my uk lid Arai RX-7 GP Haslam only had it couple of years and cost me fortune.

Hi Steve, brought in hubbys motorbike 3 years ago. Main thing is the amount of documents you have to produce to send off, evidence of continuous ownership, proof of ownership (yes they are different), plus the long form. All documents have to be verified as originals by someone in uk (again strict list of who can do this), cost wise - we got it in with our car in container, yes there is an import tax but it's not huge. It has to be cleaned within an inch of its life to pass quarantine and any good removalist will crate it for you. pM me if you want more details and I'll try find the paperwork

if you could give me some details / pointers, that would be really helpful....:cool:

• 4 weeks later...

Price of bikes and cars have dropped quite a lot here over the last few years, check out on Gumtree. You might be surprised. As for safer riding here, that's not how I feel, 50% of Aussies have permanent road rage & poor driving skills! but you do keep aware of your surroundings!

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

thought i would give a quick update here.

well ive been granted permission to import the bike. the form filling is fairly easy... its all done on line now so you need to be able to scan all documents and then upload them to the form.

its just having your documents to hand i:e log book, mot cert , insurance cert, driving licence, passport, bill of sale etc..

if you have sorned your vehicle, get it back on the road for atleast 12 months before you intend to apply

i thought the hardest part would be the statement of travel, i just wrote a bit about how and when ive used my bike.

then when you have filled the form, pay your money $50 and then wait up to 20 working days.

and that is more or less it for this side of the world.

when it arrives in aus you will have to have it inspected for compliance etc, pay import duty etc.... il post more when ive got through that bit.

right, off to clean the bike within an inch of its life.

I would be very interested also!

we have just been granted our visa and will be moving late 2017.

I have a few bikes which I will have to sell as I read somewhere that you can only import 1?

1997 V max and a 95 duc 916,

Ill be taking the ducait 916 as its too much of a nest egg to sell,

The resale value would still be in my favor over there however Im really not fussed about that as I do NOt intend to sell,,,, ever... if I can help it.

I know the import duty % rates etc however if you could possibly outline in a simple format your total costs for shipping your bike start to finish once known?

Thanks and good luck with the move!

application for permit to import is $50

transporting the bike has added around £700 to the cost of shipping our goods in the container.

On landing there, there is customs valuation, GST and AQIS processing fee = $690

'temporary movement permit' (Dept of Transport) - $21. Valid for one day

You take it to assessment centre (be prepared to wait a while) where they will inspect it and Fail it, due to no Australia compliance plate. Cost of inspection $65

You get a sticker which you then have to send off to Victoria (Niddrie Nameplates), another $86 (inc GST). They send you back a little yellow sticker. DO NOT STICK IT ON BIKE YOURSELF.

You repeat process, another temp movement permit. $21