Taking tools in luggage vs shipping

benw

Hi all

I was just pondering on the idea of taking my hand tools as an extra bag when I fly. I've been quoted over £200 to ship my tools over and it takes ages. I will be needing my tools as soon as I get to oz so should I just pay for an extra bag to go in the hold?? Has anybody else done this ? We are not taking much stuff with us so will not be having a container etc. All other items that we need can be posted over when we are settled.

Any comments or advise welcome.

Cheers

ben

Hi all

I was just pondering on the idea of taking my hand tools as an extra bag when I fly. I've been quoted over £200 to ship my tools over and it takes ages. I will be needing my tools as soon as I get to oz so should I just pay for an extra bag to go in the hold?? Has anybody else done this ? We are not taking much stuff with us so will not be having a container etc. All other items that we need can be posted over when we are settled.

Any comments or advise welcome.

Cheers

ben

Hi, not sure if they take tools, but we have considered additional baggage https://www.sendmybag.com/quote, might be worth a look.

What kind of tools do you have and want to bring?

I did the same thing, I shipped a mass of tools over from the UK, I also filled up my luggage with my tools too.

However, I paid £450 for a top of the range Milwaukee drill in the UK and shipped it over, only to realise that the exact same drill was half the price here and you get a free site radio to go with it.

The vast majority of tools I brought over I have found to be almost 30% cheaper here. Some of them half the price.

Have a look at a few websites to get an idea of the prices, also take into account the exchange rate too.

Have a look at a place called Bunnings and also Sydney Tools.

If you know your tools then you will be surprised how cheap some things are.

If you can bring your most precious tools and save your money on extra baggage allowance and buy new stuff here.

Most of the hardware stores often have sales and one day specials where they mark down tools at half price, you can pick up bargains every few weeks if you look around.

They also have a huge range here as well, I found brands and tools I have never seen before still at good prices.

Its like being at Screwfix but you get 25% on average off most things.

The set below cost $1089, that's about £525 taking into account the exchange rate, in the UK the same kit cost well over £1000.

Plus many places ship all over Australia for free. If you go to the hardware shops and buy a load of tools you will often get a few freebies thrown in too.

m18pp4a502bst_1_1.jpg

Edited by Edna

What kind of tools do you have and want to bring? I did the same thing, I shipped a mass of tools over from the UK, I also filled up my luggage with my tools too. However, I paid £450 for a top of the range Milwaukee drill in the UK and shipped it over, only to realise that the exact same drill was half the price here and you get a free site radio to go with it. The vast majority of tools I brought over I have found to be almost 30% cheaper here. Some of them half the price. Have a look at a few websites to get an idea of the prices, also take into account the exchange rate too. Have a look at a place called Bunnings and also Sydney Tools. If you know your tools then you will be surprised how cheap some things are. If you can bring your most precious tools and save your money on extra baggage allowance and buy new stuff here. Most of the hardware stores often have sales and one day specials where they mark down tools at half price, you can pick up bargains every few weeks if you look around. They also have a huge range here as well, I found brands and tools I have never seen before still at good prices. Its like being at Screwfix but you get 25% on average off most things. The set below cost $1089, that's about £525 taking into account the exchange rate, in the UK the same kit cost well over £1000. Plus many places ship all over Australia for free. If you go to the hardware shops and buy a load of tools you will often get a few freebies thrown in too.

This is interesting, when did you make the move?

From our year there my hubby concluded that tools were more expensive but maybe that was just a few things he noticed that has caused him to draw a negative conclusion overall.

The only other thing he says is the hassle of buying everything again,he's got so much. It's also brands, he has been through several chop saws for instance before finding the one he likes and he's the same with everything...

its a tricky decision =S

My husband brought all his tools over (he's a joiner/carpenter) and sent them airfreight on a pallet which had to be a plastic pallet and cost about £400 from memory (18 months ago). He couldn't bring his power tool batteries so had to sell those in the UK and he bought new ones on ebay Australia and had them shipped to a friends house over here before he arrived. The pallet took a few days and then he had to go collect it from customs. He too didn't want to sell and re-buy, he has a LOT of things, even handtools that are not easy to replace. He cleaned everything with Jeyes fluid, but to be honest, they barely inspected anything.