8 months in...so far...so good...stay positive peeps

Jai

Ok, so I haven't been on here for a while, as I've been busy enjoying Perth, but just to give an update. We arrived in July via Singapore. As soon as we arrived, my husband and I both had job interviews and luckily both got jobs (he's and accountant and I a business analyst in IT). Anyway, we were not expecting both of us to get jobs immediately and still had to settle the kids somewhere and find a long term rental. So I declined my job offer as I wanted something local and part time.

we were initially staying in a lovely short term rental in carramar...can really recommend it. Once our container arrived we had found a long term rental in tapping. Rents have really come down from a year back so that worked in our favour too.

i had the kids starting daycare two days a week and soooo much to do with kids....beach...playgrounds everywhere etc. My son who is 4 started kindI in Feb and loves it. I now have a part time job...out of IT but enjoying it...at a mortgage brokers locally.

so far we love Perth. Just to see the beautiful sunsets...the parks...beaches and there's always something going on. Houses here are lovely too, and people are so welcoming..

just thought id id post this, as I know prior to us moving we were very worried...times are hard...but there are possibilities...stay positive.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there... Been here nearly 2 weeks know. Finished first week at work and everyone here been great. Been stopping with mate at secret harbour... Move into apartment in south Fremantle tomorrow. Partner hasn't found work yet which she is a bit upset about as she likes to work but fingers crossed she will find something soon.

Hi Freedom, two weeks only, wow. I am glad that you are having positive experience. Australia is very strong in volunteer work, maybe your wife can consider something in her industry of interest and sometimes job can work out well, besides it will count towards work experience here.

• 9 months later...

Hi

I'm hoping that you can pass on some advice to me. As a family we are considering a move to Perth also but at the moment my research is leaving me a little deflated with regards to job prospects. I too am an accountant however i currently work in practice not industry as your husband does. Could you give me any indication as to how the job market is there? I note that a lot of the jobs adverts i have seen specifically request 'experience within Australia' , do you have any experience of this? and will this hinder my chances of getting a job?

Do you know of any recruitment agents i could contact for some further advice?

Thanks in advance

Hi

I'm hoping that you can pass on some advice to me. As a family we are considering a move to Perth also but at the moment my research is leaving me a little deflated with regards to job prospects. I too am an accountant however i currently work in practice not industry as your husband does. Could you give me any indication as to how the job market is there? I note that a lot of the jobs adverts i have seen specifically request 'experience within Australia' , do you have any experience of this? and will this hinder my chances of getting a job?

Do you know of any recruitment agents i could contact for some further advice?

Thanks in advance

Hi And welcome to the forum

The WA economy is struggling at the moment due to the mining downturn. Also, WA is not a financial centre with most of the major financial side based in Sydney and Melbourne. Though Australia generally has a major oversupply of accountants and it has been flagged for removal from an eligible occupation for several years and it has been a bit of a surprise to most that it hasn't been removed.

• 2 weeks later...

We've been here 3 mths now and we both have jobs (not doing exactky what we want but it brings in the $'s for now), a long term rental (in Tapping too) and the girls have se started to settle into daycare/school. Our journey has been a bit bumpy but family weekends at the beach sure do make up for it! Hoping next 3 mths are a little easier!

Fab to hear your positive experience Jai.