Moving from London in Jan 17 - any artists or musicians out there?

asho

Hi

Moving from the smokey leafy world of South East London to Perth. I would like to make some contact with lovely people out there who are of a creative disposition. I am a singer/songwriter, painter, film maker, writer etc etc...

Would be nice to meet similar minded people who crave creativity.

ash

• 6 months later...

Hi

We move down on 19th Jan and so far no response to my call out. Any tips? I am very nervous about the move as being in London there is so much here in terms of creativity etc and it is quite easy to find.

I guess it will be easier to find like minded souls when we hit Perth. I am new to this whole post thing too so I am sure there are some get togethers so that we don't feel too isoloated in the first few crucial months.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Asho

Been here since July last year, my husband in particular is really into music and playing guitar/writing songs...we live up in north beach and be happy to meet up for a drink once you're here. I would definitely recommend Fremantle as its the best place to live if you're into music and art, otherwise Mount Lawley and Leederville are good too. Perth doesn't compare to London in terms of whats on/events/culture etc but then it does have great food, beautiful weather and amazing beaches (and is laid back!) so guess you cant have it all! ;)

Hope you settle in and the journey over goes well!

• 3 months later...

Hi Asho,

Just seen your post (don't log on to Poms in Perth much) but, as other people have indicated, Fremantle is definitely the place to be if you're creative. Famous Freo residents include Tame Impala, Tim Winton and Ben Elton but there's a whole community of creative talent beyond that. Other Freo musicians you may have heard of include Empire of the Sun, John Butler, Eskimo Joe, Pond, Methyl Ethel, Lucky Oceans (saw him duet with Billy Bragg last night), Koi Child... the list goes on. Plenty of artists and writers around Freo as well. South Fremantle is chocca with them but the creative area probably spreads all the way from Mosman Park in the north to Hamilton Hill in the south and out to Hilton heading east. Know lots of artists in and around those suburbs.

Places to check out for creative stuff going on around Freo include the Fremantle Arts Centre, The Moores Building, The Packenham Street Arts Space, MosArts, the Newport, Rodneys, the Fly by Night Club, the J Sheds, FSpace, the Artisan Store, the Old Customs House (WA Circus School), Pulse Arts Studio, Kidogo Arthouse, Ootong & Lincoln, South Fremantle Sunday Markets, the Luna on SX, Bathers Beach. Probably loads more that I've forgotten. Seem to be new ones popping up quite often around Freo. Anyhow, there won't be anywhere near as much going on in Perth generally as there is in London but in and around Freo there's a surprising amount of interesting arts , crafts and creative enterprises going on and what you do have is a genuine artistic community flourishing in a relative small, relaxed and charming area with a really good vibe. Enjoy.

• 4 weeks later...