Baldivis?

Jen78

Hi all, happy Friday!!

Now we are at the business end of the application we are seriously researching where we may end up when we start our big adventure. My research has primarily been house price led and I have been looking at all the houses to buy and rent on realestate.com.au. We are heading SOR as hubby says thats where all the companies he has been researching for jobs are.

Suburb wise were are tending to be looking around Waikiki, Rockingham, Safety Bay, Port Kennedy, and Baldivis. However there seems to be a lot more houses up for sale in Baldivis and the prices to buy and rent seem really reasonable for what you are getting.

Is Baldivis a good area? We have 2 girls 14 and 10 so we are looking at primary school for 1 year and high schools, plus things to do, open areas etc. We would be willing to walk to a beach, but how long would it take to the nearest one and is it nice? Are there any good schools in Bladivis? Is there a reason lots of houses are up for sale? Do they know something I don't? Is it cheaper purely because its further inland?

If any one has any feedback about Bladivis at all I would be most grateful, I don't want to go there because it is cheap and end up regretting it. We will have a good look round all the other areas I have mentioned aswell, and if anyone has any feedback on those aswell I would be sooo grateful.

Thank you everyone xx

For me Baldivis is a tin roof city. If you want new and sterile then that's the place to go. If you want room and character Rockingham Waikiki Safety Bay. I really think you have to be here to get a feel for each area. People here move a lot. Always lots of houses on the market every where. Also don't dismiss an older home just by looking outside inside can be ultra modern. Baldivis is 10\15 mins from the coast of Waikiki Safety Bay Rockingham. 5 mins from freeway depending on what part you live 30 mins from Mandurah 40 mins max or 1.25 hrs from Perth depending on what time you travel. You really have to be here to know. Baldivis is a fast fast growing suburb apparently biggest in Oz presently. It's eating up bushland and displacing wildlife......

It is a bit of a marmite place. Some love it some don't. It certainly isn't walking distance to a beach. But we have a number of members that live there and love it. Personally, I find it a bit bland and very "suburbia".

My my advice is not to worry too much until you arrive and get a chance to see places as they can feel very different in real life. Before we arrived we were certain we would be in one of about 3 areas. But when we arrived, those three areas were the areas we liked least and the area we ended up was one we hadn't even heard of or considered.

• 2 weeks later...

We chose to live in Secret Harbour because of the schools. With a 10 and 14 year old I would look at schools first which will help to choose the area. Baldivis has reasonably good primary schools and a new senior school. However, the population is quite fluid, there are lots of FIFO families and the area is still growing with new primary schools opening. There's some really lovely parts though and the more established parts of the estate is more appealing.

Personally I wouldn't live in Waikiki, Port Kennedy or Rockingham unless you're sending your kids private mainly because of the school catchments, however, that's just my preference and what doesn't feel right for me may suit your family. If you didn't have children it wouldn't be such an issue. Generally though most parents in this area who can send their children private, particularly for senior school, will.

Comet Bay College, a co-ed non-fee paying school in Secret Harbour, is a Gifted and Talented school which means they offer an extended education programme for those children who pass the entrance exam. I think children who live in the school's catchment and attend the school also benefit from the experience of teaching staff, facilities etc etc. There are lots of families moving into the area so their children can attend the school.

My kids are at Frederick Irwin in Mandurah. It's a co-ed anglican private school. They love it! Some of the privates are difficult to get into but thy have a bigger intake in year 7 (aged 11/12) so you stand a better chance of getting them in for senior school. Lots of children from Baldivis and Secret Harbour attend privates in Rockingham and Mandurah. School fees range from about $3k to 8k per year. Off the top of my head there are the following:

Primaries:

Star of the Sea - Rockingham

Primary & Secondary:

Peter Carney - Baldivis

Tranby College - Baldivis

Living Waters Lutheran - Warnbro

Mandurah Baptist College - Lakelands, Mandurah

Frederick Irwin Anglican School - Meadow Springs, Mandurah

Secondary:

Mandurah Catholic College - Greenfields, Mandurah

Kolbe Catholic College - Rockingham

I'm sure there's a few more Catholic primaries I've missed...one in Port Kennedy and a new on in Baldivis but I can't recall their names.

There are more south of Mandurah and also north of Baldivis towards Kwinana.

Feel free to pm me if you have any questions. We've been here 2 1/2 years so so hopefully I can be of help.

Lou

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Lou8670

Hi all, happy Friday!!

Now we are at the business end of the application we are seriously researching where we may end up when we start our big adventure. My research has primarily been house price led and I have been looking at all the houses to buy and rent on realestate.com.au. We are heading SOR as hubby says thats where all the companies he has been researching for jobs are.

Suburb wise were are tending to be looking around Waikiki, Rockingham, Safety Bay, Port Kennedy, and Baldivis. However there seems to be a lot more houses up for sale in Baldivis and the prices to buy and rent seem really reasonable for what you are getting.

Is Baldivis a good area? We have 2 girls 14 and 10 so we are looking at primary school for 1 year and high schools, plus things to do, open areas etc. We would be willing to walk to a beach, but how long would it take to the nearest one and is it nice? Are there any good schools in Bladivis? Is there a reason lots of houses are up for sale? Do they know something I don't? Is it cheaper purely because its further inland?

If any one has any feedback about Bladivis at all I would be most grateful, I don't want to go there because it is cheap and end up regretting it. We will have a good look round all the other areas I have mentioned aswell, and if anyone has any feedback on those aswell I would be sooo grateful.

Thank you everyone xx

Hi, we live Baldivis and love it, like most of the suburbs out here whether NOR or SOR there is good and bad bits. a lot of the newer parts have smaller blocks of land and smaller and closer together houses, this means they are cheaper and higher portion of rentals. We live in an older part, bigger houses and plots but higher rents and prices.

Our 7 year old goes to Baldivis primary and me and the wife have not got a bad word to say about it, she gets on really well there. As for secondary schools there is a fairly new state one called, imaginatively, Baldivis Secondary School which is placed at the back of the "Rivergums Est". Don't know what its like but I pass some of the children who live on my part of the estate at the bus stop when im out for my early morning run and they all say hello! Bit different to where we came from in the UK. Friend of mines kids go to Tranby College and really rate it!

Not walking distance to the beach but 10-15mins sees you drive there easily, we often go for ice cream on Rockingham foreshore. Unless your a few streets back from the sea front, which could cost you a fair amount, you'd probably drive anyway, especially if you're like us and always have loads of crap to take with you!!

I think, as others have said, you need to come and have a look, the distances here are so much greater than the UK. Baldivis itself is massive, I walked virtually in a straight line from where Nairn drive starts near us to where is stops being proper road at the Karnup end and it took me nearly three hours and that's just one direction!!

Thankyou both for your in depth replies, plenty of practical advice to think about. However I cant stomach looking any more until we get the visa, its been 10 days since the medical and the wait to hear even though its relatively short in the scheme if things us really stressing us out!!

It is a lot to take in and TBH I'd focus on getting your visa then planning your arrival with a good idea of which areas and schools you want to explore. Keep an open mind! When we emigrated a friend of mine on here thought they'd like this area and decided immediately it wasn't busy enough for them and decided to live in Fremantle. Good luck with your visa!

Lou

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baldivis is OK. It didn't really exist 10 years ago and is now the fastest growing suburb in Australia. We live in Warnbro in the old part a couple of streets back from the beach.

I drive through Baldivis every day on the way to work and the growth rate is phenomenal. New areas of bush being ripped up to make new phases. The older parts are south of Safety Bay Road and tend to have larger blocks and more parks. The newer parts are north of Safety Bay Road and comprise of smaller blocks and units (flats). Beware of the far northern part though. Quite close to the municipal dump and it can be bit stinky at times.

We chose to buy established in Warnbro because we could get a lot more for our money. Having the beach 5 minutes walk away is brilliant. I walk the dog and watch the dolphin every morning before I go to work.

Shoalwater is another good spot as is Waikiki but you need to be no more than three or four streets back from the beach. It gets cheaper as you move further inland but so do the neighbours (more rental properties, a bit unkempt).

A really good spot is the Anchorage Estate in Rockingaham. You can walk to Rockinghams Palm Beach in around 5 to 10 minutes and it is bordered by a nice lake and bushland. Worth a drive around when you first arrive. Also very close to Shoalwater Bay, Penguin Island.

Warnbro Sound is easily the best stretch of water in Perth. Miles of beaches, the islands, Dolphin on demand (pretty much), great sailing and fishing.

You are there in 5 to 10 minutes from Baldivis by car.

Don't sweat on the Visa. If you have had your medicals, you have pretty much got it. Send your case officer an email. That's what we did. Got an instant reply with a copy of our visa grant.

Good luck.

We live in Baldivis and love it.

cant personally comment on schools cos mine are out of the range, but have plenty of friends here with school age kids, going to both public and private who love it too. Plenty of choice re schools.

When we first came to perth we lived nearer the city centre. It was great but we Didnt feel part of the community and Didnt make any friends.

we checked out every suburb SOR in our price range, and what we wanted from a suburb. A beach nearby, easy access to the freeway, train station for trips to the city. A commutable distance to work.

Hammond park was my fav, just a little bit out of price range though.

but Baldivis has won my heart. We bought established in the original estate, Settlers hills. Decent enough block sizes. We've added a pool. Lots of lovely parks. But the best thing is the sense of belonging, such a friendly place. Lots going on. Now I have 4 bar/restaurants within walking distance, plus coffee shops galore.

What I really love, is, if you have to work in or near the city during weekdays and at weekends its just lets go blah!!

Down south us doable in a day. Bunbury, Busselton, Dunsbourgh, Margaret river. Not forgetting all the lovely sights around Harvey.

Stay closer and check out Mandurah, ravens wood, Dawesville .

so many beautiful places

• 2 months later...
Hi all, happy Friday!!

Thank you everyone xx

Hi

I would only add you really need to think about your commute everyday if you are working anywhere past Rowley Rd freeway exit. We moved in 2013 rented in Cockburn as close to family, kids in good school there when we bought a house in Baldivis March 2014. I worked in Willetton OH works all over in construction industry but a lot in the city. Spoke to someone else living there ' Oh yes its great only 20 mins on the freeway' LIES!!! It takes at least 40 mins from Baldivis Saftey Bay Rd Exit to Russell Rd on any weekday when you leave at 7.15 a.m without factoring in any accidents or roadworks.

I liked Baldivis as a suburb we had a lovely 4x2 with pool, if everything you do is in that area....work, school, after school activities, social lives ( both yours and kids, that I didnt factor in).

Have now sold the house at a 40k loss ( price and fees) and currently renting in Hammond Park , trying to recoup some of the money we lost.

If you want any more info feel free to PM me. Love living in Perth just not so far down the freeway!! :)

Thanks Loulou, we think now that hubby might just be possibly, hopefully with everything crossed be working in the centre of perth and he wants to cycle in. Also we have been looking at schools and so now we're looking at Rossmoyne and Willeton. Going to contact the schools to see how we go about enrolling during the summer holidays and go from there.

Thanks Loulou, we think now that hubby might just be possibly, hopefully with everything crossed be working in the centre of perth and he wants to cycle in. Also we have been looking at schools and so now we're looking at Rossmoyne and Willeton. Going to contact the schools to see how we go about enrolling during the summer holidays and go from there.

Both Rossmoyne and Willeton have strict catchment areas and need proof of address.

Hi

I would only add you really need to think about your commute everyday if you are working anywhere past Rowley Rd freeway exit. We moved in 2013 rented in Cockburn as close to family, kids in good school there when we bought a house in Baldivis March 2014. I worked in Willetton OH works all over in construction industry but a lot in the city. Spoke to someone else living there ' Oh yes its great only 20 mins on the freeway' LIES!!! It takes at least 40 mins from Baldivis Saftey Bay Rd Exit to Russell Rd on any weekday when you leave at 7.15 a.m without factoring in any accidents or roadworks.

I liked Baldivis as a suburb we had a lovely 4x2 with pool, if everything you do is in that area....work, school, after school activities, social lives ( both yours and kids, that I didnt factor in).

Have now sold the house at a 40k loss ( price and fees) and currently renting in Hammond Park , trying to recoup some of the money we lost.

If you want any more info feel free to PM me. Love living in Perth just not so far down the freeway!! :)

B*********s, it took me 15 minutes this morning and that is normal.

The traffic usually starts at Russell Road (occasionally Rowley) before you reach that you're doing 100kph, it's then slow to Berrigan Drive, then picks up again until the Leach Hwy through to Canning Bridge then pretty much full speed all the way to the CBD. Most mornings Baldivis to Perth is 50-55 minutes, occasionally longer but from December to Mid January it pretty clear and can be done in 30 minutes.

Edited by Rossmoyne
Removed profanity

B*******s, it took me 15 minutes this morning and that is normal.

The traffic usually starts at Russell Road (occasionally Rowley) before you reach that you're doing 100kph, it's then slow to Berrigan Drive, then picks up again until the Leach Hwy through to Canning Bridge then pretty much full speed all the way to the CBD. Most mornings Baldivis to Perth is 50-55 minutes, occasionally longer but from December to Mid January it pretty clear and can be done in 30 minutes.

Well aren't you a charmer!!

I did the drive every day for 2 years so I think I know what I am talking about. My OH worked mostly in CBD and used to leave ay 5.15 am to get there for 6am so it can be done at that time of the morning, but not after 7. Accidents all the time, breakdowns which seem to facinate people so much they have to slow down to look. Fridays after school work, traffic bumper to bumper through to Thomas rd going South from Berrigan Drive.

As I said nothing against Baldivis just didnt enjoy the freeway nightmare.

Hope you have a great commute tomorrow aswell, Welljock

Edited by Rossmoyne
Removed profanity from quoted post.

Not really any less charming than you calling everyone who says it can be done in 20 minutes a liar.

I've been driving it 4 times a week for the last year and only on 5 or six occasions has it taken longer than 20 minutes, so I too think I know what I'm talking about.

Thanks I did have a good commute this morning, I got the train which I do actually prefer even though it does take a bit longer.