moving to perth for 1 year only - which area and which school

Hello,

can I ask the collective advice of the forum ;

I am a surgeon moving to Perth for 1 year only next year to work in a central perth hospital along with my family - wife and 2 children 6 & 3

I am going to be on a 457 visa , and I imagine I will be busy during the day and so want to make sure my wife and kids are set up in a part of the city which has the best access to schools, beaches , shops and generally stuff to keep everyone happy

I dont mind a bit of a commute to work , I was looking at cottesloe, peppermint grove, or subicaco as potential places.

ideally I would like my kids to go to the same school , given that on a 457 visa i need to pay $4000 for public schools im happy to pay for private schools to find a good one.

Given I will be in perth only for 1 year Im willing to spend a bit more to make sure my family are happy and well settled in a great area

So any advice on location and suitable schools would be really helpful

many thanks

Hello,

I am a surgeon moving to Perth for 1 year only next year to work in a central perth hospital along with my family - wife and 2 children 6 & 3

I am going to be on a 457 visa , and I imagine I will be busy during the day and so want to make sure my wife and kids are set up in a part of the city which has the best access to schools, beaches , shops and generally stuff to keep everyone happy

I dont mind a bit of a commute to work , I was looking at cottesloe, peppermint grove, or subicaco as potential places.

ideally I would like my kids to go to the same school , given that on a 457 visa i need to pay $4000 for public schools im happy to pay for private schools to find a good one.

Given I will be in perth only for 1 year Im willing to spend a bit more to make sure my family are happy and well settled in a great area

many thanks

The western suburbs you have mentioned sound like your best bet include Claremont it's where a lot of DR's live , it's also where most of the private schools are and some good public as well ,

Agree, Western suburbs or 'golden triangle' as it is often called. Most of the excellent private schools there but they are single sex, $25000 a year and very short on places. If you have a boy and girl then look at Christ Church Grammar and Methodist Ladies College in Claremont, they are next to each other so make drop off easier. Next choice might be john XXIII college in Mount Claremont, top Catholic School in WA, co-ed, kindy to Year 12 but again very difficult to get into, fees about $6000. Most of the primary schools in the western suburbs are very good. Nedlands primary for example have a pool, orchestra, and band. Many families send their kids to the local primary then off to the private schools in Year five or seven. The Govt high school is Shenton College, beats the results of many of the private schools.

• 4 months later...
Hello,

many thanks

Hi English Dr

You won't go far wrong in Cottesloe!

Your wife can walk to the Boatshed to pick up a few groceries and have a nice coffee in the day

Kids can walk to the beech at weekends, Freo and Perth are a short drive or train journey, plenty to go at when you are out and about

Neighbourhood is extremely safe and friendly

Others have commented on schools, which I know little about

There are also opportunities with local surgeries that I can put you into contact with if thats what you want to do later on in life

Richard

My husband works at SCGH and we live in Shenton park, he cycles to work and it takes about 5 minutes.

Rosalie Primary school is the local public school and scores very highly. Easy access to city, beach, playgroups etc. Equally cott, Claremont, Nedlands all very nice and have good schools too.

We have a 5 and a 2 year old so if your wife would like to meet someone with similar age kids when she gets here for a coffee and a chat drop me a message and I'm sure we can sort something out.

Good luck with the move