Buying a car

kazb67

Buying a car in Australia cannot possibly be as complicated a task as I'm turning it into. I'm a very sensible & capable adult but I'm bamboozling myself. I've read sooooo many forums/guides & I think they're each calling the same thing something slightly different.

can I just clarify what I think I need......

(I know dealers sort out the additional bits but I want to have in my head what's required)

- Roadworthy cert

- Stamp duty (is this the same as tax that some guides refer to?)

- Registration transfer fee

- Insurance over & above the mandatory 3rd party

driving licence uk-aus

- licence transfer fee (approx $41)

- licence fee for 5 yrs (approx $132)

Have I missed anything?

Depends on how much/how old the car is IMO!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indeed. I would always get minimum third party fire and theft but I don't have any spare cash hanging around even to buy a banger so for me it would be worth it. The OP talks about a $6k car, my daughter's car cost that much and it's fully comp all the way. That's a lot of car to replace with no insurance.

We'll defo get additional insurance just not sure of the cover yet.

We have 2 cars & a motorbike in the UK (Merc GLA, Nissan Nevada & KTM bike) all of which are fully comp. Personally I think it'd be daft of us to have expensive vehicles & not have appropriate cover. We'll import the bike but I'm planning on getting a small car that's as cheap as poss to run until we can build up wages. My OHs a spark so he has quite an outlay to get qualified to Aus regs.

i really wasn't sure we'd afford a car but basing it on 6k if rego will be approx $50, insurance approx $60 & fuel maybe $160 ish monthly we should be fine.

i was going round in circles trying to work out what we'd need to pay for but I think I have it sussed now?!?!?! It will be more expensive but I think we might go to a dealer so as all paper works in order. With all the other things we have to sort out when we arrive, buying a car then getting hit with things/fees I've missed would prob tip me over the edge lol