One year update!

benj1980

Well once upon a time I thought I would never get to this stage but we have hit our one year anniversary!

I'm not sure if much has changed since I last updated maybe 6 months ago. We had such a good first six months and everything seemed to slot into place. We are now in a position in which we can buy a house or build and this is something we are exploring now, my wife is working part time and this suits us and our family. The kiddies have recently had a parent evening and have been working really well. They have really embraced the change of scenery and seem to love it here.We have signed them up for little nippers as all good Aussies should do at some stage right? Summer now finally looks on it's way! We are still exploring WA in reality and finding places all the time to visit through suggestions.

We still miss family and friends but we have more visits booked in the next 6/12 months, we are still good at skyping people (and impromptu Facetimes!) I'm still comparing prices even though the pound has gone wayward and isn't anywhere near what I'm calculating. But I have to say that Australia is feeling like home. I don't agree with comments that 'Australia isn't better it's just different,' because for us as a family it has been exactly what we had wished for and it is better for us. there are things that are more expensive like Rego and maybe utilities but petrol makes up for that in my eyes! Speaking to fellow Poms some buy British produce and spend a fortune, personally I think that's crazy but up to them! I would say our food intake has become a little seasonal, if food has doubled for whatever reason (probably supply and demand) we won't buy it so we have become a little flexible. Not a bad thing to instill into the children who aren't as fussy eaters anymore!

The parks, foreshores and organized events are great and make it easy to have a day out with friends. We have found everything is family orientated and purposely designed this way. I'm not talking about mother and baby bays at the supermarket, but the BBQ's, showers, toilets, benches and shelters splattered all over the place. We've been to parties in the parks a great way to spend an afternoon and a lot cheaper than hiring a hall! We are still not overly keen on coastal walks in fear of snakes (we need to get over it!) but have been to a few national parks. Mandurah has been good to us and we wouldn't want to live anywhere else to be honest.

The Aussies have been great also, I haven't encountered one person telling me to go back to where I come from although I've seen a few stickers on cars! I guess it has really dawned on me that so many are descendent of Poms who they knew growing up as grandparents or parents. (Not just distant lost relatives from the 1800's) So they have the familiarity of the UK and some quirky stories about how it was like in the old country. Many have met relatives and visited the UK as well. I think that this possibly is beneficial to us in the workplace when trying to find work. Work has been fortunate on us, but I in particular put in a lot of hard yards before we even arrived and it paid off. There are jobs around but unemployment is rising. House prices have dipped and rental prices have dropped as well, if we do buy/build soon hopefully the market won't drop too much further but who knows?!

So basically we are really happy and the move has been really positive for us all. We have no plans to leave and would actually like to put down some deeper roots and have our own home here in Mandurah. I haven't experienced too much doom and gloom but maybe there is more to come, who knows!

So when is the next update? Citizenship?

• 2 months later...

Great post.

We have put on hold our move only because of current job market. Two years ago I thought we will be in Pert now but now I hope we will be able to move maybe next year.

Everything depend on situation.

For us Perth give everything we need for our family, so can't wait.

Wish you all the best :)

Cheers! Don't disregard Perth entirely at the moment. Depends what occupation you are in of course!

I agree, hubby managed to get an engineering job with a mining company in the city. If you believe everything you read about there being no jobs, you'd never be able to move. We were coming out whether he had a job or not and put our trust in the universe.

I am Electrical Design Engineer in Oil and Gas. I lived and worked in Perth for two years so have even some contacts.

However it didn't help so far.

You Jen78 are 100% right at some point we will move as I know it is more difficult to secure job if we are offshore.

I must write that with 3 year old twin Girls I feel more responsible, especially that I have good job in UK at the moment.

Tough decisions !!!! but I am not the only one.

I am so glad your husband got job !!!

• 1 month later...

Hopefully you'll land on your feet with something soon. The Australian experience must help? It was a huge concern of mine coming over with no real work opportunities just a few contacts which came out really good in the end. It's a huge risk coming out from the comfort of what you know but needs must!