Renting an unit/apartment

abey1

Hi

We are moving to Perth in few days and our first thing in the 'to do' list is to renting a place. We do not have jobs in hand at the moment. With that how difficult it is to rent a place? Coz I have heard most house owners do not rent if you do not have a job or previous rent history

Can someone help me how to get about on this? Or seniors how you did it when you first landed? Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will be fine. This is the way many people arrive and agents are used to it. They will want to see that you have sufficient funds to pay rent and bills for a number of months.

Thank you very much verystormy! I was very upset hearing some people saying how difficult it is to find rentals. Any suggestion on documents we need to bring along?

As @verystormy has said, there are many available rentals at present in WA, so you shouldn't have any problems finding somewhere.

Landlords/Estate Agents will expect to see evidence that you have enough funds to cover the bond and rental costs. Also if you have rented before, a reference from the managing agent/landlord, would be helpful.

Also once you have signed a lease, be mindful of the conditions contained therein. Some leases require that you give a month's notice to terminate at the end of the lease period. Seems a bit weird that you have signed a lease for a specific period and still have to give notice of vacation, but that is what it is and you have to go along with it.

Hope you find somewhere suitable without too much hassle.

As @verystormy has said, there are many available rentals at present in WA, so you shouldn't have any problems finding somewhere.

Landlords/Estate Agents will expect to see evidence that you have enough funds to cover the bond and rental costs. Also if you have rented before, a reference from the managing agent/landlord, would be helpful.

Also once you have signed a lease, be mindful of the conditions contained therein. Some leases require that you give a month's notice to terminate at the end of the lease period. Seems a bit weird that you have signed a lease for a specific period and still have to give notice of vacation, but that is what it is and you have to go along with it.

Hopefully it won't be an issue. However I'm collecting as much evidence as possible from my country such as bank/credit card statement which give me a credibility though I don't have any rental history :-( (always stayed in our own place)

Anyway I will keep you posted how it goes!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Rossmoyne

We moved in to an apartment and settled in! Now aggressively looking out for jobs. Thank you very much for you, verystormy and others for your help!!

You should not have any issues as the vacancy rates are really high at the moment. Just get a print out of your bank statement (most recent) and you will be fine.

I rented out my apartment to a young couple (on working holiday visa) that just arrived in Perth. Also this place has been a rental for 7 years and during that time most of my tenants (80%) didn't have a job. Also most were all on visa of some sort and I have never had an issue. New arrivals are lot better tenants then locals in my opinion, especially if they are on a visa. I had only 1 tenant that was Australian and he was the only one who was late with rent.

Also, check out Gumtree for rentals, you are lot more likely to deal with owners which is a better way to go in my opinion.

You should not have any issues as the vacancy rates are really high at the moment. Just get a print out of your bank statement (most recent) and you will be fine.

I rented out my apartment to a young couple (on working holiday visa) that just arrived in Perth. Also this place has been a rental for 7 years and during that time most of my tenants (80%) didn't have a job. Also most were all on visa of some sort and I have never had an issue. New arrivals are lot better tenants then locals in my opinion, especially if they are on a visa. I had only 1 tenant that was Australian and he was the only one who was late with rent.

Also, check out Gumtree for rentals, you are lot more likely to deal with owners which is a better way to go in my opinion.

Thanks sashamb we found a place and yes it wasn't that difficult as you said. Took only three days to get approved. !