Missing home

louloubelle

Well we have been here 2 months now and its been such a whirlwind. Having a great time, got everything sorted, kids happy in school, got a good job that I'm so lucky to have (despite the commute), we are starting to look at a house of our own and we have been out and about enjoying the weather and outdoor lifestyle. Then Christmas came and the homesickness hit me out if nowhere, it's been a tough week and going to struggle tomorrow. I knew that it would happen eventually but wasn't fully prepared for it. It's been a tough week but a happy one call in one go, such an emotional rollercoaster. Starting to feel guilty for the misery I've caused back home. I'm sure it will pass.

Anyhow, happy New year to you all, have a good evening either in the UK or here in perth

I think it's at times like this you feel being so far away. I was never homesick, but I did in the first couple of years get 'people sick' particularly around the times when I know we would all get together e.g. birthdays etc. As I started to develop some friendships those feelings eased considerably. The time of year has probably had an impact.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Louloubelle - I fully empathise with you. I've been out of the UK since April 2000 and while I love many things about living in Perth, I have never been able to handle Christmas away from my family back home and a 'summer' Christmas! We went home...other home!..for Christmas 2016 and will be returning every year now - it's given us the best of both worlds that way.

I've been increasingly homesick of late - unsure why...might just be that as I'm getting older I'm craving the familiar! We've sussed out how to get British TV here in Perth now and that's helped considerably. We are here for at least another seven years until the youngest is through school so I'm determined to make the most of it. Not sure where we'll go after that - might be to the UK, might be Canada..might be elsewhere in Australia or we may remain here - too early to tell!

All the best with everything - happy to help where I can :-)

• 3 weeks later...