UK to perth

Dave1411

Hi ,my post has vanished!! New here and going through the visa app now as my gf of 20 years is a insurance broker and on the skills list .

Who else has made the big jump? Selling the house etc

I also want to bring my Audi RS4 ,sentimental reasons so advice here would be great

Dave

Edited by Dave1411

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Dave,

Congratulations on making the decision to move and welcome to the biggest adventure of your life! We have just moved and it is a week today since our plane left, no looking back yet! For peace of mind we used an agent, it costs more but with us both working full time and 2 girls in tow we didnt want the hassle of doing it all ourselves. We used The Emmigraton Group and were really pleased with them. It took about 10 months to get the visas. We sold our house, we listed it about a month after the visa application went in and we had an offer about 6 weeks after the visas were granted and this was by far the most stressful bit. We booked the flight and holiday accommodation the day the house exchanged contracts. The house completed the day before we flew and we are using moneycorp to transfer all our money to our Aussie bank account.

We didn't ship a car, so no advice there, but if you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask, this forum really helped me along the journey so far.

Best of luck

Hi Dave and welcome to the forum. Ask away with any queries you have and hopefully someone can help you.

As far as importing a car in Australia goes, there are some threads on this in the Transport section of this forum. In the search window just type "Importing a car into Australia" and all the threads will pop up. Hopefully the information you require will be there.

Hi everyone

Massive decision that's scary but I know a little way down the line life will be better.

I have a 5 year old son and another little boy due anytime now which has pushed me to make this choice, a better life

I'm using a company in London called Global migration who took the deposit yesterday and will arrange visa's and Job interviews.

So I guess now it's just time and putting everything into place ,I was advised to keep my house in the UK but unfortunately the money from the sale will set us up rent free for 2 years and leave a nice lump in the bank behind us so we can settle down.

How do you all find you fit In ? I guess that's a lot of people fears , I know my boys will be fine as kids meet new friends at school etc

This is also another question, is there school fees ?

So all in all exciting and scary at the same time but as a family we need change. Both working 50 plus hours a week to pay bills is no fun and I've had a mortgage since 21 and now I'm 38 with a fair way to go

You only live once :)

Edited by Dave1411

Hi not as yet ,the company are arranging it for us .my partners company also has a office in Perth so I'll see how we go .she is on the skills list and there is a franchise just south of Perth for sale in transport, exactly the same as what I do in the UK

Edited by Dave1411

Hi Dave a 457 is a temporary visa - no guarantee of staying if you lose your job - think you have 90 days to leave the country if you cannot find another sponsor. Great visa if you want an adventure and nothing else. Having said that I know lots of people who came on a 457 and managed to get PR but it is definitely not guaranteed - it is what it is - a temporary visa

Hi sorry , she has done her skills assessment and it's fine .sure it's a 457 4 year visa and being able to apply for PR after 2 years . The paper work is going through now , then the job interviews start .

You can apply for a PR any time particularly if she already has the skills assessment

Oh dear, what happened ??

From reading A LOT from what I can make out is

Houses are cheaper in the mandurah area ?

House are cheaper in general than the UK?

If you go out drinking a few nights a week, smoke or want to dine a lot its dearer ?

Cars are very expensive to buy.? But cheaper to run ?

Where as in the UK your house is a weight around your ankle with the average house down south (Essex) being over £300,000 with shocking 35 year deals . Mines £892 per month and when my little boy is born any day now in 6 months my childcare will be £800 .

This to me is crazy and leads to a hard relationship, to much pressure and no life.

If I'm wrong on any off the above please feel free to put me right ?

I'm trying to also budget what gas /electric /water bills are in Australia, silly I know but better to add to the budget insted of ignoring it .

In the UK I pay £124 per month gas/elec and £700 a year water 3 bedroom bungalow

Edited by Dave1411

First visas.

There is no guarantee of gaining PR from a 457. Some gain, some don't. As the occupation is only on the CSOL and only available for sponsorship by NT, you would require business sponsorship. Even if you later applied to NT, if living in Perth it would likely be refused. The problem with relying on PR by business sponsorship is many businesses refuse. Even when it is part of th contract, we regularly see it refused by companies and their is no way of forcing them.

You need to assume you will be returning at the end of the 457. It is what it says on the tin. A temporary visa with no automatic transition to PR.

A 457 also comes with a number of issues. You will not be entitled to any help with childcare or any other government benefits and technically, medical care is via international agreement.

One of the conditions is that if the main applicant were to lose their job for any reason, she would have 60 days to find another or you all have to leave the country.

Also, is she happy to be working full time after having a baby? It is a condition of a 457 that she does.

Be aware, you mention buying a franchise. This also has more hoops as first, it would require FIRB approval for none residents. Then there are issues with credit as you only have permission to be in the country for the duration of the 457. So, credit is often harder, on shorter terms and more expensive.

As for housing, average rental costs are $1800 a month. Mandurah is often a bit cheaper, but if working in Perth, this would mean a commute of 1 - 1.5 hours each way.

First visas.

There is no guarantee of gaining PR from a 457. Some gain, some don't. As the occupation is only on the CSOL and only available for sponsorship by NT, you would require business sponsorship. Even if you later applied to NT, if living in Perth it would likely be refused. The problem with relying on PR by business sponsorship is many businesses refuse. Even when it is part of th contract, we regularly see it refused by companies and their is no way of forcing them.

You need to assume you will be returning at the end of the 457. It is what it says on the tin. A temporary visa with no automatic transition to PR.

A 457 also comes with a number of issues. You will not be entitled to any help with childcare or any other government benefits and technically, medical care is via international agreement.

One of the conditions is that if the main applicant were to lose their job for any reason, she would have 60 days to find another or you all have to leave the country.

Also, is she happy to be working full time after having a baby? It is a condition of a 457 that she does.

Be aware, you mention buying a franchise. This also has more hoops as first, it would require FIRB approval for none residents. Then there are issues with credit as you only have permission to be in the country for the duration of the 457. So, credit is often harder, on shorter terms and more expensive.

As for housing, average rental costs are $1800 a month. Mandurah is often a bit cheaper, but if working in Perth, this would mean a commute of 1 - 1.5 hours each way.

You can get a rental in Mandurah a lot less than $1800 now. Just a quick glance from $300 pw upwards in my area for a 4x2. Although the train is 50 odd minutes you would have to factor driving to the station unless you lived close. Personally I wouldn't like the commute!

You can get a rental in Mandurah a lot less than $1800 now. Just a quick glance from $300 pw upwards in my area for a 4x2. Although the train is 50 odd minutes you would have to factor driving to the station unless you lived close. Personally I wouldn't like the commute!

Yes but in what area?? Mandurah is no 9 on the latest crime report wellard being 10 in the local paper this week. Something to bear in mind. No disrespect but original poster seems to have rose tinted glasses on

Yes, some areas can be cheaper, hence why I said Mandurah can be cheaper. But, that means a long commute. I used to commute Dawesville to Perth and it was just over 2 hours each way - didn't have a car then. With a car, it would still be about 1 hour 40.

The price I have given is for Perth average. But the most important point of the post if the OP must understand this is not a permanent move and should not be classed as such. If I had a penny for every 457 holder I have come across over the years who thought it would be only to find it wasn't, I would be a wealthy man now.