UK to perth

Dave1411

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Audi in Australia is between 40-53000 dollars, so I minus the 20% as you say ( I think most RS4's in OZ are imports ) so on the basis my car is worth 400000 minus 20% = 32,000 dollars so this means it won't be at the higher tax bracket?

So from failing this ADR to sticker in my hand takes how long? Fussy old lot ain't they .

The car is exactly the same as the models out there already , reads mph/kph right hand drive

As I've mentioned previously it's not about value . It's priceless to me .

My Audi in Australia is between 40-53000 dollars, so I minus the 20% as you say ( I think most RS4's in OZ are imports ) so on the basis my car is worth 400000 minus 20% = 32,000 dollars so this means it won't be at the higher tax bracket?

So from failing this ADR to sticker in my hand takes how long? Fussy old lot ain't they .

The car is exactly the same as the models out there already , reads mph/kph right hand drive

As I've mentioned previously it's not about value . It's priceless to me .

Is it worth brining over later - if you are able to get PR later - just thinking that you'd have that cost again returning to the UK

All Audis in Australia are imports, difference is they have an Australian ADR plate fitted at the factory, then shipped here so they are classed as Australian cars, it will take about two weeks to get your car off the docks, and if you had your ducks in a row and drove it straight to Welshpool and sent off for the sticker same day, it will take another two weeks to get the sticker, book the retest and get the rego plates, thats if it passes the ADR compliance check first time, it may fail on something stupid, just like having an MOT

What a mine field

Ali I can store it here at a family members aircraft hanger for as long as I need too .

Just seems like new things pop up daily to get the car on the road .so once in Port it then takes 1 month for ADR, checks etc

Car arrives at Port, goes into quarantine and fails

I then apply for a temporary move permit 29.05 dollars

Take it to Welshpool for them to inspect it again 97 dollars

If it fails again I can then take the car home , change of fix the problem . Book another move permit 29.05 dollars take it back to Welshpool

Passes

They then licence the car and away we go ?

Edited by Dave1411

I’d seriously consider selling the car in the UK and buying something else over here.

Used car prices have fallen over the last few years as ex resources workers have sold to downgrade and reduce outgoings, raise some cash.

You will need a car as soon as you arrive. Public transport is hard work over here and the city and suburbs are quite spread out (Perth was designed around the car).

We bought a very nice 4x4 two days after we arrived and enjoyed ten years of trouble free motoring as a result.

If you add up all of your shipping and import costs, plus a couple of months of car hire while you wait for yours to arrive, does it really make importing a euro model worthwhile?

There are a lot of negatives with Euro cars in Australia. Expensive parts, not built for Aussie conditions etc.

While I’m on, don’t bring furniture, fridges, cookers or tellies unless you can live without those things for 3 months.

Do bring DIY tools as they have little resale value in the UK but are expensive to replace.

Hi. I would buy another car once we arrive to use daily. The Audi is not for sale as I've said previous it's priceless to me .

Furniture etc , I'd be happy to sell most of it in the UK, we don't have a great deal anyway. Except kids toys etc

Nicola gave birth to my 2nd son Jan 31st so now they are both OK we can push on

Thanks for the link , iron lady imports.

They can do the job start to finish for £5800 this includes everything

when I contacted ironlady they quoted me RORO, just check that's container price Dave.

Also I think ive probably over complicated it for you by giving you my war stories.

I found the process to be fairly simple and certainly not as expensive as I thought, in fact I could not of bought a boat in as good condition here for what I would of sold it for in uk AND adding the import cost. I also benefitted from my car being import tax exempt because of its age.

All you need to worry about is sorting it out this end when it arrives unless Ironlady are doing all that for you ?

If not, its simple, once passed quarantine and as druid said, it probably wont and they will make it dirty than when it arrived, you can collect it from the cleaners.

Before you collect arrange a Temporary Move Permit, easily done on line at DOT website, also you can arrange your own insurance however your temp permit comes with the government injury insurance so you can collect without your own insurance and be legal to drive but it will not cover damage to yours or others cars or road side furniture etc.

Now you can arrange to have your DOT test the same day if you know in advance when it will be released from quarantine, so you could drive it from the dock to Welshpool Testing station and have it tested. It will fail because it does not have and Australian Compliance plate, as druid said, and they wont make you one until you have had it tested by the DOT. However I have heard that they can make the plate in 24 hours and so you can have the plate fitted and return for a retest the next day. Once you have the sign off paper you can register it at the testing station and they will hand you the plates to be able to drive away.

Your temporary move permit lasts for 48 hours so you could get it all done within that time without having to buy another permit.