My father needed an ambulance, and became ill while on holiday here in Perth

shwarmakarma

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to share my very uplifting experience of my father falling ill while on holiday from England over Christmas.

My father is 82 and went out for a long bike ride and became overcome by heat fatigue and passed out near Lake Joondalup. Yes, I know... I warned him...but he is very stubborn!

To make a long story short, a lovely woman found him and phoned me (my telephone number was taped to his bike). Within moments, passing paramedics were on the scene (by chance) and an ambulance was soon on its way. By the time I got there, there was a whole volunteer rescue team on-site as the ambulance arrived to take him to Joondalup hospital.

My father had a heartbeat of 30 and was admitted to Joondalup hospital for the night. I went to the admin office expecting to have to pay $ big bucks for the ambulance etc....well, it turns out I didn't have to pay a penny because my father is a born and bred Englishman. Turns out England and Australia have a reciprocal healthcare agreement.

My father stayed in Joondalup hospital for 3 nights and was fitted with a pacemaker in that time. His heartbeat went from 30 to a steady 60. He is now fit as rain, has returned to England and is better than ever.

I can't tell you the amazing healthcare my father received and it was all free. I have nothing but praise for the the health service here. I am truly amazed by it. The Irish nurse joked "don't tell all yer friends, they'll all be coming over here for it!"

So...the moral of the story is.... don't worry about getting insurance for your English relatives visiting Australia. Plus, they will get better healthcare here than they would in England (sorry, but true).

Am so proud that my adopted country treated my father so well. We now joke that he will always have a little piece of Australia in his heart.

Happy news for all of you.

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to share my very uplifting experience of my father falling ill while on holiday from England over Christmas.

My father is 82 and went out for a long bike ride and became overcome by heat fatigue and passed out near Lake Joondalup. Yes, I know... I warned him...but he is very stubborn!

To make a long story short, a lovely woman found him and phoned me (my telephone number was taped to his bike). Within moments, passing paramedics were on the scene (by chance) and an ambulance was soon on its way. By the time I got there, there was a whole volunteer rescue team on-site as the ambulance arrived to take him to Joondalup hospital.

My father had a heartbeat of 30 and was admitted to Joondalup hospital for the night. I went to the admin office expecting to have to pay $ big bucks for the ambulance etc....well, it turns out I didn't have to pay a penny because my father is a born and bred Englishman. Turns out England and Australia have a reciprocal healthcare agreement.

My father stayed in Joondalup hospital for 3 nights and was fitted with a pacemaker in that time. His heartbeat went from 30 to a steady 60. He is now fit as rain, has returned to England and is better than ever.

I can't tell you the amazing healthcare my father received and it was all free. I have nothing but praise for the the health service here. I am truly amazed by it. The Irish nurse joked "don't tell all yer friends, they'll all be coming over here for it!"

So...the moral of the story is.... don't worry about getting insurance for your English relatives visiting Australia. Plus, they will get better healthcare here than they would in England (sorry, but true).

Am so proud that my adopted country treated my father so well. We now joke that he will always have a little piece of Australia in his heart.

Happy news for all of you.

Lovely story, needed to read it…recently tried to help someone in a similar situation but it didn't work out, has given me nightmares for months

Glad to read that he's doing well and was so well looked after, amazing medical professionals that undoubtedly saved his life, well done all

Lovely story, needed to read it…recently tried to help someone in a similar situation but it didn't work out, has given me nightmares for months

Glad to read that he's doing well and was so well looked after, amazing medical professionals that undoubtedly saved his life, well done all

Oh my, how awful for you. I'm so sorry that you're having nightmares after trying to help someone. It's people like you who make a big difference in the world and I'm just so sorry that you stepped in to help, and that it has sadly caused you so much stress. I wish you peace. I'm sure that,whatever happened, you did your best and the outcome would have been worse had you not been there. Big hugsxx