Fumigation costs

juliamj1

We are currently getting quotes for shipping a 20ft container full of our home! I am finding it hard to get anyone to tell me what fumigation costs may be...has anyone had any experience?

Is it worth bringing bikes, camping equipment, Dyson etc & risk the possible fumigation cost being less than re buying these items in Perth if we don't bring them?

Hi, we put our dyson parts through the dishwasher before packing it up, got rid of the hose for the tumbler and thoroughly disinfected 2 bikes and a scooter. We have been quoted $480 but the container only docked yesterday so hasn't been opened or treated yet. Don't know if we'll be charged any more but depending on what you bring it may cost you more to replace dysons are about $350.

Will let you know if we get charged any more.

Regardless of what you ship the container will be fumigated. Individual items that may need other forms of sterile treatment cost extra. Downside they will not tell you what. We had items,that needed more at an extra cost of $750 we decided against. To this day we havent missed anything. Items then disposed of so they say. A ruddy con me thinks

We have just had the last of our stuff brought over and it consisted of 17 large boxes. We shared a container with others and our Customs and fumigation costs were $165 combined.

I was never a camper in the UK, too bloody cold and wet, but we are considering it here and find that pretty good quality stuff made for the Australian climate is reasonably priced so unless your stuff is top quality I'd sell it and save yourself the cost of bringing it. For example, I bought an outdoor cover for my boat in the UK, just a cheap one of Ebay but its been on the boat in the UK for the past 2 years with a little bit of fading but all good, arrived here in December and between then and last week the Sun has destroyed it, took all the colour out of it and made it brittle, full day of heavy rain last week and it split!! Had to buy an Aussie made one, not much more in cost than the last one but made of much better stuff.

A friend of ours told me that he knew some people who brought a bike over and it got knocked back for cleaning or destruction, they were quoted $200 dollars, they disputed that it was dirty and the cost went down to $100 they then demanded to see the dirt on the bike and went to the port where, when they arrived, it had miraculously been wiped over free of charge and they were able to take it!! So as elfie says, its a money making exercise.

I get the feeling it is all based on whether the customs staff/inspectors are in a good mood or not that particular day!

Thanks for all of your advice. We have lived in Perth before, we moved out early 2008 & didn't have any issues with things needing to be fumigated but we didn't bring any "risky" items that time. Having lived in Perth the reason I'm trying to weigh up the cost of fumigation v cost of replacement is because I know items like bikes, hoovers, gazebos etc are pretty pricey over there...unless things have changed in the last 4 years?

• 4 months later...

Hi there, I have heard many good things about fumigation that it is the best service to get rid of bed bugs. My friend was also disturbed with the bed bugs and he had tried sprays and toxic chemicals, but they were providing a temporary solution. Finally, his neighbor suggested him to hire professional Manhattan moving companies who provided him vikane fumigation service. According to him their way of working was quality driven. He told me that the service was in budget.