457 Visas Stopped

Ktee

Normally the visa changes happen in July each year, but Turnball seems to be panicking a bit over this because of the amount of dialogue there has been in the media of late about 457 visas and some of the inappropriate visas granted.

Perhaps once Camilla @New Life Down Under has digested all the new information, she will post in this thread.

Normally the visa changes happen in July each year, but Turnball seems to be panicking a bit over this because of the amount of dialogue there has been in the media of late about 457 visas and some of the inappropriate visas granted.

Perhaps once Camilla @New Life Down Under has digested all the new information, she will post in this thread.

Luck we are here then. Plus tragic endings for some who have been on this visa will be stopped. Has been a pet hate and bug bear of mine over last 5 years. Many a bashing for my thoughts recieved ..... Haha

Hi Rossmoyne, well I got back last night and was greeted by these new announcements! I am trying to digest the information and it is very unusual for DIBP to announce changes with immediate effect with no transitional period! Very clever to stop a barrage of last minute applications ! Here are a few things that I understand to be true as of today, but must emphasise that things are likely to change over the coming days and months and would not suggest that anyone takes this information I am sharing as upto date and I recommened that they check the legislation with their migration agent or DIBP before applying as people have tendencies to look at forums and not check the upto date law!

So, I will try and update as things unfold but the most important things that I have establised are

* The 457 has not stopped yet, it will be called the Temporary Skilled Shortage visa as of March 2018.

*The CSOL for 457 has been abolished and replaced by the MLTSSL (Medium and Long Term Strategic Skills List) and STSOL (Short Term Skilled Occupation List)

* Occupations on the MLTSSL are eligible for a 4 year visa and STSOL a 2 year visa

* It appears that STSOL occupations are only eligible for 1 renewal and no pathway to permanent residency, therefore a maximum validity of 4 years with no pathway top permanency (currently worded rather ambiguously so waiting for the Migration Regulations to be amended accordingly!)

* The MLTSSL is still going to be a pathway for PR but it looks as if you will need to be holder of 457 for 3 years not 2

* Many occupations now come with stringent caveats, so check before lodging visa is one of these apply

* 2 years work experience will be required for visas granted after March 2018, so this will have a huge impact on international students and graduates.

Very importantly as the law has changed immediately, anyone who has lodged a 457 awaiting decision will be processed according to the new criteria, so if you do not meet this, the Department will consider refunding fees if withdrawing.

If you are eligible for a 186/187 via temporary pathway, do not wait, APPLY ASAP!!!

Edited by New Life Down Under

Thanks @New Life Down Under..... that was more or less what I got from the media reports and it is good to have it confirmed by a professional such as yourself.

My personal thoughts are that this is just a way to weed out those who should never have been granted a 457 to start with, and who are constantly in the news and giving genuine 457 visa holders a bad press, and to make sure visas such as this are not granted again. Also of course, we are in an economic downturn and it is only fair that our citizens should be employed before imported labour. The visa was initially brought in to address acute labour shortages right across the board, but there are so many people unemployed now, especially in WA, that it does make sense that the visa rules change. Perhaps the rush though was a bit excessive. I feel for those who currently have visa applications in the pipeline as it isn't looking very favourable for them.

I have never been a fan of the 457 visa particularly, as so many people expected it to lead to permanent residency and just couldn't get their head around the fact that it was very much a temporary work visa and could end with them going back to their home country at short notice. Having said that though, it certainly enabled some large skill gaps to be filled quickly. A visa that has outdated itself basically, I suppose. At least though the new visa will still support highly skilled jobs where there is no-one local to employ.

Thanks again New Life Down Under. Rossy

I agree the whole 457 system has been exploited and ruined it for many. It will now be very hard for many occupations to now ever gain PR as the new Short Term List (ex CSOL!) now only allows for 4 years in total, that being 2 X 2 year visas and no PR option. Also must provide GTE (genuine temporary entrant criteria) as of March next year. ALso absolutely shocked that anyone in the system isnt being granted transitional arrangements!!!

I think I am in the minority of agents who has always been very anti 457 and used to encourage my clients to go for a 187 immediately (now sadly also a thing of the past!)

It seems to me, that many applauding this decision on 457's, are themselves first or second generation descendants of immigrants. Jobs for Australians first, will result in a dumbing down of many positions imho, as you can't force a square peg into a round hole. Rossmoyne, did your ancestors come across on the first fleet in 1788? doubt it. Many like ourselves who exhibit all the values Turnbull requires, have now been sold down the river, as once again, Australia moves the goalposts on visas, catching many out, who came here on a promise. YES!, the 457 has been abused, but punish the firms abusing the system, not legitimate visa holders caught in the crossfire. We will now have to go back and try to pick up our lives, which will be very difficult at our age.

It seems to me, that many applauding this decision on 457's, are themselves first or second generation descendants of immigrants. Jobs for Australians first, will result in a dumbing down of many positions imho, as you can't force a square peg into a round hole. Rossmoyne, did your ancestors come across on the first fleet in 1788? doubt it. Many like ourselves who exhibit all the values Turnbull requires, have now been sold down the river, as once again, Australia moves the goalposts on visas, catching many out, who came here on a promise. YES!, the 457 has been abused, but punish the firms abusing the system, not legitimate visa holders caught in the crossfire. We will now have to go back and try to pick up our lives, which will be very difficult at our age.

Not quite sure why you are having a go at me...... just scroll up and read my post again and you will see that I was looking at it from both sides and commented likewise.

Yes the 457 visa was totally exploited by some employers and they are being justly dealt with at last and yes those disreputable employers have ruined it for many. If you are here on a 457 visa and expected to just to go straight onto permanent residency after a set time then you are guilty of not researching thoroughly that the 457 was not a pathway to permanent residency. Heaven knows enough people on this forum and PIO warn about this time and again.

The 457 had its virtues too as it allowed genuine employers to recruit suitably experienced personnel to fill chronic labour gaps in time of need. However, in case you are not aware, Western Australia in particular, is in a state of economic downturn and unemployment is rife in many sectors. In many cases the needs do not now exist, so why should a country continue to import people for jobs when there are Australian Citizens and Permanent Residents capable of fulfilling those roles?

I totally agree with many people that this is a bandaid political solution and will cause a lot of angst and stress to people whose applications are in the pipeline, and to those in the country on 457 who were hoping to apply for permanent residency. I also think it should not have been implemented immediately, but left until the normal July visa changes, and that there should be grandfather conditions for those already on Visa 457 hoping for permanent residency.

But whatever your situation or your views, you surely cannot expect a country with a rising unemployment problem to continue importing workers on temporary work contracts that would put locals out of work.

And to answer your insulting and sarcastic question..... no my forefathers did not come over on the first fleet. I see no reason why I should justify myself to you, but for your information, my family emigrated from UK in 1960's as part of the 10 pound pom program. However after a few years in Australia I returned to UK where I lived for another 20 odd years - during which period the goal posts changed for me too, and my permanent residency was cancelled in just such a political move as this recent one. It took me a long time and a lot of money to emigrate back to this country in 1990.

In life often things don't always go the way that you want it to and goalposts change in the blink of an eyelid, but you just have to suck it up and get on with it.

Edited by Rossmoyne

I cant see why they are having a dig at you either Rossmoyne.

I came over on a 457 in 2011, I too was very anti the 457, I pushed & pushed my sponsor to go ENS instead of 457 to the point that my sponsor was going to walk away, then I agreed to the 457 as sponsors are few and far between to find in my industry, I packed my whole life up into a 40ft container and came over with the family & dog knowing full well that the visa was a temporary working visa and it could all go horribly wrong and I could end up back in the UK, in 2011 you could go PR immediately upon arrival on a 457, there was no waiting for 2 or even 4 years before you went PR, so from the day of our arrival I pushed my employer again to go PR and my persistance paid off, 8 months later I was PR, I dont understand these people that come over on 457's then sit back & do nothing thinking it is all over & they can stay as long as they like, what part of "Temporary Working Visa" dont they understand.

You have obviously come to the end of your 457, you still have PR options providing your employer/ sponsor is willing, you can go ENS, you can renew your 457 for another 4 years providing your occupation is still on the list and as far as I am aware Perth is still classed as Regional, Mcgowan is trying to have this changed so dont delay, so you could go RSMS and one good thing about Regional is the list is longer, most occupations are still on it.

I came over on a 457 in 2011, I too was very anti the 457, I pushed & pushed my sponsor to go ENS instead of 457 to the point that my sponsor was going to walk away, then I agreed to the 457 as sponsors are few and far between to find in my industry, I packed my whole life up into a 40ft container and came over with the family & dog knowing full well that the visa was a temporary working visa and it could all go horribly wrong and I could end up back in the UK, in 2011 you could go PR immediately upon arrival on a 457, there was no waiting for 2 or even 4 years before you went PR, so from the day of our arrival I pushed my employer again to go PR and my persistance paid off, 8 months later I was PR, I dont understand these people that come over on 457's then sit back & do nothing thinking it is all over & they can stay as long as they like, what part of "Temporary Working Visa" dont they understand.

You have obviously come to the end of your 457, you still have PR options providing your employer/ sponsor is willing, you can go ENS, you can renew your 457 for another 4 years providing your occupation is still on the list and as far as I am aware Perth is still classed as Regional, Mcgowan is trying to have this changed so dont delay, so you could go RSMS and one good thing about Regional is the list is longer, most occupations are still on it.

No, we haven't come to the end of our 457, no, we have no PR options, due to age, and no, my wife's occupation has been removed from the list. We came as did you, all packed up in a 40' container, house sold, on a promise and a dream. The promise was of roll over 457's, the dream was PR somehow. All gone, due to a politician trying to get himself a few more points in the polls, and this is one avenue that doesn't hurt Australians. But trust me, the same low skilled workers will still be here, being abused by the very people who are called Australians. So yes, I'm bitter.

We came on a 457 in 2012. Hubby arrived first golden promises from employer did not materialise threat of redundancy loomed after 3 months. Very distressing time. We plodded on. Realised that with Johns age after the 2 years gaining PR would be zilch ---- lodgement of visa has to be done prior to turning 50. In all fairness the company when informed put hubby forward for PR after 8 months PR after 16 months we only ever paid for medicals xray and police checks and our container. Rule of thumb we shouldnt be here I think we are an exception to the rule sobto speak. Luckily we still are for now. We never intend to spend the rest of our lives here. Citizen ceremony in 3 weeks. I will always remain Welsh with duel nationality I will never be Australian I was born in Wales. If you become a citizen and want to be referred to as Australian thats your choice but you really wont be. .....

457 should be named the heartbreak visa

No, we haven't come to the end of our 457, no, we have no PR options, due to age, and no, my wife's occupation has been removed from the list. We came as did you, all packed up in a 40' container, house sold, on a promise and a dream. The promise was of roll over 457's, the dream was PR somehow. All gone, due to a politician trying to get himself a few more points in the polls, and this is one avenue that doesn't hurt Australians. But trust me, the same low skilled workers will still be here, being abused by the very people who are called Australians. So yes, I'm bitter.

It is hard, though from what I remember of your case, getting PR was always very unlikely and from day one it looked like you would have to move back sooner or later.

It is hard, though from what I remember of your case, getting PR was always very unlikely and from day one it looked like you would have to move back sooner or later.

True, but we thought 12 years, and home. Not to be now. My wife is on the pathway to 186, no doubt they will move the goalposts on that as well.

Thanks Druid!

I think the other poster just didn't do his homework, or if he did, thought he was special and could "wing" it.

You obviously did your homework and were aware of the possible scenarios before you were granted your 457 visa, so at least you are a realist. Great that you got your PR so quickly too.

As far as RSMS and the postcodes for this, they always used to be any postcode apart from the metro area, but they were changed about 2011/2012 to include all postcodes in WA. McGowan is just returning it to how it was. As I recall, he was very vocal about the changes when they happened, so I wasn't surprised at all. I fully expect this change to be ratified in the July visa changes, and I am not sure if applications under RSMS are still being accepted until then, but a registered RMA would be able to advise.

Like I said, the RSMS visa is still in place, age is no issue and the list remains unchanged, Perth is still classed as Regional, get the ball rolling before McGowan gets his way and has Perth removed from the RSMS visa.

True, but we thought 12 years, and home. Not to be now. My wife is on the pathway to 186, no doubt they will move the goalposts on that as well.

If you have already started on the road to a 186, you qualify for a bridging visa if your 457 ends in the meantime

Hi Druid

The RSMS has stopped for Perth. It is a weird one, the Migration Regulations havent changed but Mark McGowan has closed the RCB applications for Metro, as Rossmoyne mentioned only non Metro and Regional WA will now be processed, so without RCB approval, Nom is invalid and subsequently visa will be refused.

I too am surprised as to how many people the changes to the 457 will effect, as I personally have been posting on here for a long time my suspicions about the 187 closing and advising everyone to apply quickly. I also posted on FB and then withdrew my post as I was insulted by Joe Public saying I was only posting for my own gain!!! I am amazed that so many people have not applied for 187's/186's upon their arrival in Australia and how they have not tried to secure PR upon arrival. All my clients who are eligible are on the pathway to PR. I have a few clients over 50 who are on 457's but are high income earners to I am just keeping my fingers crossed that the 4 years transition for High Income Threshold earners doesnt change!