Thoughts on Thornlie

Collie

I don't know it particularly well but it's one of those suburbs that gets mixed reviews. I do know someone who bought there because of prices and had no problem with primary schools (can't remember which they used sorry), but when it came to High School they sent their daughter to Applecross.

Thornlie is very much a changing suburb. Housing is from the 60's through to recently built. The older side closer to Kenwick Link and around the Thornlie Shopping Centre and Leisure Centre has changed a lot in the recent years as more social housing appears, and older residents move out. There is a large mosque and islamic college in this area, and that is attracting likeminded individuals. The opposite side of Spencer Road leading towards Forest Lakes is an area with a mixture of younger families and retirees, and in places, newer housing. The primary school on Yale Rd has mixed reviews, some claiming that the clientele are a bit "rough". However if you move over to Forest Lakes (which once was part of Thornlie) the situation changes again and it is a more modern area with mostly younger families. Good housing at reasonable prices, a large shopping centre, a Tavern, medical centre, small amateur theatre. Forest Crescent PS is quite large but has a good reputation. If you are looking for private education, there is St Minchins Catholic school catering for K to Y12, in the next suburb of Gosnells, or St Emilies Catholic Primary in Canning Vale. There is a train line to Thornlie that runs as a spur off the Armadale line and the station being only just in Thornlie running close to the Roe Highway.

Perhaps have a drive around the area and see how it feels to you.

Thanks guys,

My ex lives there and my daughter (part-time). I'm NOR in Mount Hawthorn. I don't know Thornlie well but it doesn't look great and I know what she paid for her house so it's on the lower side of the socio-economic scale which normally attracts some dodgy people.

I'm just trying to get a feel for the area my daughter will spend 1/2 her time in and the primary schools. My impression is that the schools in my area will be better but haven't done the research yet. That s**t fight is down the line.

Edited by Collie

I get where you are coming from Collie, but it isn't all about what people pay for houses. You can buy a really **** house in a nice area (been there, done that and done it up to be the best in the street and still living here), so I think it is about the area as a whole. As I said, parts of Thornlie leave a lot to be desired, but parts are really nice. Have you had a walk around there at various times during the day and at weekends so you can get a feel for the place? From friends who have lived in Mt Hawthorn and now live elsewhere, I have heard some not nice things about the area there too, and I think that all suburbs have their issues. It is so hard to judge from random comments and internet research, and I really think that to spend time in a place to get to know it and how you feel about an area is so important.

On the forum we hear many times that people had researched an area where they wanted to live, but once they arrived in z and went there and started to look around what the area had to offer, that they changed their minds. All about how an area feels for you I guess.

Plus you have to consider that your ex has chosen to live there for a reason and I am sure that as a caring parent, she has done everything to make sure your daughter is in a safe environment. You both sound very caring and sensible people, so I hope that you can both find some common ground on this.

Your daughter is so very lucky that you have moved to WA to be part of her life, and she will always love you and cherish that you did that for her. My childrens' father did the opposite, and even though I tried hard to foster good relationships between him and them for many years, he has only now when our offspring are in their 30's, decided to try to be part of their lives. It isn't working well for him or them.... so I take my hat off to you Collie for all you are doing to be in your daughter's life and be part of her upbringing.

Thanks Rossmoyne,

Yep - this isn't my only form of research but thought I'd ask for opinions. So far, I'm enjoying Mount Hawthorn and haven't seen anything too dodgy around. I want my daughter to be exposed to "normal" people. Even if I had the money, I wouldn't want her to grow up in a really posh silver spoon suburb either. I may not be here forever but schools wll be a a big consideration if/when I move.

Plus you have to consider that your ex has chosen to live there for a reason and I am sure that as a caring parent, she has done everything to make sure your daughter is in a safe environment. You both sound very caring and sensible people, so I hope that you can both find some common ground on this.

:jiggy:

I appreciate the sentiment and thanks for the laugh, but you don't know my ex. She only thinks of herself and is far from a caring and sensible person. She has already dictated what school our daughter will be going to (a great example of shared parenting). There is no common ground with her, in the past, even when I have agreed with her proposal she changes her mind. She has had every counsellor/mediator we saw tearing their hair out at her (and the family court judge in Sydney), she disagrees even when it is in her own interest, never mind our daughters.

Thanks for the word of encouragement, it's not been easy but definitely think it's the right call and I'm loving seeing my daughter more often. Our bond has definitively strengthened in the last few months.

Edited by Collie

I live in a nice area and my child goes to a very nice private school in an equally nice area. My eldest daughter didn't care for private school and she ended up at a public school in what is considered a not so nice area, probably not much different to Thornlie. For her it was the perfect place and her year group the parents at the private school were stuck up nasty pieces of work. The parents at the not so good public school were far more genuine. I know which I would choose. It very much depends on the child and don't discount a 'dodgy' area as there is so much snobbery involved in areas and choice of schools.

Collie - not a nice situation to be in for you, and your daughter is the meat in the sandwich, poor girl. But hats off to you for moving your life to WA from Sydney so that you can have more time with your daughter. I can tell you from the heart that in the future when she is older, she will really appreciate this. There are times when I despair of the Family Court and the decisions that they make, supposedly in the best interests of the children.

I won't bore you with my story, but suffice to say that the Family Court in UK finally got the message that my ex was an alcoholic tosser and was not interested in our children at all, even though we had shared parenting... supposedly. I was finally given sole custody, care and control, and that was the ticket for me and them to come back to my family in WA. My offspring are now in their 30's and are very aware of all I did to keep the relationship with their father ongoing for them.... he has knocked them back so many times in the past, and now he is a very sick man and wanting their support, they actually are angry at him and over the years it has caused a lot of mental health issues for my daughter, who just wanted her Dad to be there for her... which he never was.

Like I said.... hats off to you Collie.... and enjoy the time you spend with your daughter.