British fish and chips

Jony001

Hi we are relocating to Perth next year from Nz and looking to open a real British fish and chip shop .. I will be importing all the stuff from Uk and doing real chips etc.. I have had 3 shops in the past in the uk so have good experience and can't find decent fish n chips in Oz ..can any one tell me where a good area is to open one? Is there a British fish n chip shop already there, as I have googled it and nothing comes up? Any other suggestion or advice would be good!! Thanks

Edited by Jony001

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest guest1337

Fresh potatoes used for chips, not frozen like here! Also you rarely see cod here in chippy's either, it's usually snapper! Nothing wrong with that, just not the same, oh and curry sauce, not that big here! Also what's with the dim sim things with fish and chips here as well??? Lol

Fresh potatoes used for chips, not frozen like here! Also you rarely see cod here in chippy's either, it's usually snapper! Nothing wrong with that, just not the same, oh and curry sauce, not that big here! Also what's with the dim sim things with fish and chips here as well??? Lol

Oh thanks Cheshire Cat - been 20 plus years since I have had British F & C and can't remember what it tastes like. Not sure about the curry sauce though!

British fish and chips????? No such thing. English eat cod and chips and Scots eat haddock and chips. And if somebody could post what happens in Wales and Northern Ireland then we would have the set.

So what are you going to open :biggrin: A bit on marketing testing first just to get your product right for market :wink:

Obviously mate I'm testing the market as it's gonna cost about 70 grand to start up.. Want to get it rite first time if that's ok with u?also I will be using fresh fish from Australia not frozen fish that has been trawled halfway round the world..

So how is it going to be British instead of like many good Aussie fish an chip shops (that don't use frozen chips)? Curry sauce and deep fried mars bars?

I have tried about 40 fish and chip shops in my 7 years here and not one uses proper peeled potatoes that have been chipped.

Oh thanks Cheshire Cat - been 20 plus years since I have had British F & C and can't remember what it tastes like. Not sure about the curry sauce though!

I don't often eat fish and chips but have found Fish and Chips here to be fine, I do like curry sauce though

Obviously mate I'm testing the market as it's gonna cost about 70 grand to start up.. Want to get it rite first time if that's ok with u?also I will be using fresh fish from Australia not frozen fish that has been trawled halfway round the world..

So it'll be Pozzie fish and chips - Australian fish and freshly peeled potatoes. Actually there's one in Willetton but their notice says English Style - never been in so can't say what style that is or what's different

Edited by ali

The big smiley things after sentences mean a bit of a laugh. Anyway as Sal says how is it going to be British? May be I am thick but as Ali also says all I can see is Aussie fish with peeled tatties (potatoes) so where is the Britiah connection?

Look no dig here and good on you for giving something a go but obviously it is not just me that is a tad confused :biggrin:

The big smiley things after sentences mean a bit of a laugh. Anyway as Sal says how is it going to be British? May be I am thick but as Ali also says all I can see is Aussie fish with peeled tatties (potatoes) so where is the Britiah connection?

Look no dig here and good on you for giving something a go but obviously it is not just me that is a tad confused :biggrin:

I'd suggest the British connection is the peeled potatoes. I've never had frozen chips from a chippie in the UK, but only ever had them here. I think he should open up in the northern suburbs. They'd go down a storm. Hungry now...

If I knew how to make them I'd open up my own fish and chip shop.

Ross

Hi we are relocating to Perth next year from Nz and looking to open a real British fish and chip shop .. I will be importing all the stuff from Uk and doing real chips etc.. I have had 3 shops in the past in the uk so have good experience and can't find decent fish n chips in Oz ..can any one tell me where a good area is to open one? Is there a British fish n chip shop already there, as I have googled it and nothing comes up? Any other suggestion or advice would be good!! Thanks

Out of interest, what specifically is it you have to import?

Cheers

Ross

Out of interest, what specifically is it you have to import?

Cheers

Ross

hi i wll be looking to import all the fryers ,equipment etc,cooking oil/fat peas sauces etc.i dont know about using the frozen fish of cod and haddock etc as i would rather use fresh fish than frozen as it cooks better..i mite just see what people think on that..so you would like to open one yourself??

hi i wll be looking to import all the fryers ,equipment etc,cooking oil/fat peas sauces etc.i dont know about using the frozen fish of cod and haddock etc as i would rather use fresh fish than frozen as it cooks better..i mite just see what people think on that..so you would like to open one yourself??

I know nothing about what happens behind the counter in a fish and chip shop, but have plenty experience in front of it. I'm here on a business visa, so currently looking at buying a business (and also starting one up). It definitely appeals to me, especially as there is a gap in the market.

I'd be surprised if the equipment couldn't be bought here without having all the hassle of importing, but I guess you have compared costs etc. I'm sure everyone will have their idea of what British fish and chips means, so difficult to keep everyone completely happy. Proper chips is a great start.

Ross