Which removal company to use?

The Hobson Crew

Hi... we have our flights booked to Perth on 20 June so are just starting to look into removal companies. There are so many to choose from :arghh: so was hoping for some good feedback and recommendations? At the moment we are considering Crown and John Mason. Any help would be very much appreciated!

Many thanks

Jane, Darren, Elle and Molly xx

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

We had quotes recently from both Crown and Anglo-Pacific, both prices our shipment more or less the same. I tried to make an enquiry with Pickfords but nobody rang me back so they were struck off the list. We were almost ready to sign on the dotted line with Anglo but having read various reviews they seem to get a bad rap. I would be interested to see if anyone has used their services within the last 12 months or so. I understand that they move many thousands of containers each year and there will be cases when it does not run smoothly.

Also now I hear Pickfords and John Masons provide a good service although the guy from Anglo really ripped into Pickfords basically saying they were in a lot of financial stress.

Our main worry is insurance as we have many high value items (antiques) that need a lot of care during shipment.

I would appreciate any more comments from people who have been through the shipment process recently.

Thanks

djj

Had John mason out today, was quite happy with the guy that came out havent had quote yet will get it in next 24 hours was quite helpful with suggestions of filling drawers and cupboards with stuff to save space etc.

Crown coming out tomorrow so will let you know how that goes.

Also had Bishops before xmas but didnt rate them really

Lou

Ah how annoying but if they will slash the price to make up for the inconvenience might be worth it ;0) John Mason do seem to have a great reputation so I think for us it will be between them and Crowne. Will be interesting to hear what quote Crown come up with? I'm contacting them next week to make some appointments and hopefully get a date booked in the diary eeeek exciting times x

Guest jantplus3

Crown (leeds) have just come and collected our stuff today> can't fault them. We'll see what happens at the other side.... flying to perth on tuesday!!!! excited now x

HI We have had Crown, Anglo, PSS and John MAsons out. Masons guy who came to see us was really good. All pretty good who came and want about the same in costs. Crown include everything but we are still waiting for the cost to come and John Mason will be the one if not Crown and they want £3750 from Chorley to Perth for a 20' container. Only extra to pay with Masons is the customs inspection fee in Freemantl, Usually about $400 I'm told and the marine insurance which none of the companies do. You can always ring your current contents insurance provider to check your current cover for removals some do cover international but even if they don't they will likely give you a quote.

Hope that helps :wink:

We have just used Pickfords no problems at all, really good service, I wouldn't take too much notice about what one removal company says about the other, Pickfords are now pretty much secure ( I know one of the managers ) check out the link posted above it pretty much explaines what happened, I think all the removal companies are feeling the pinch with the financial climate in the UK at the mo.

Guest steve K

We used Doree Bonner and they were very helpful and agents Grace were good in Perth.. Price wise the quotes we got were all very similar within £150 of each other..

Hope this helps

• 3 weeks later...
Guest steve K

We used Doree Bonner before and they were very helpful. They now have an online quote so you should be able to compare the price you got from the others. I suspect most will be similar

Guest Jennifer Smith

Jane

Go for the shipping container being packed directly at the door, this avoids being slugged later on with the additional "groupage" costs.

Keep an eye on the packers. They are experienced at packing boxes........remember you are employing them & they are not friends for life.

Trust your head & not your heart.

What do you mean keep your eye on packers?are they guys who often steal?im looking or hoping to have them rather than have them wrap and pack my stuff from home but from container,i emailed a few of them to ask if this would be a problem most said no and depends on if enough room etc in that contanier,and some said they could take the stuff away and pack in there warehouse,i would rather they do this where the items are at and where i can be there or watch them,how do i know stuff might be missed out or maybe even stolen,at least if i see them packing everything i am at ease,Normally when they pack your stuff and its in the shipping container is this locked and next time its opened is over in oz.