Shipping quotes

bwatt99

How much volume does a full 20ft container take in cubic feet thats what they go by right?As had my first quote yesterday thinking i was maybe going to be a 40ft and was told 20ft which is a boost as thats what i really want to get,but the first quote/shipper that came never said how much cubic feet i would use,is this something i should know?I have asked other companys and they dont stay so local to me and have said if i have a volume then they can give me a quote based on that,but i dont know what it is,i do have two others coming this weeks so maybe i know better,how many shippers did you guys get quotes from is asking to many not required?I just want the best price but also feel happy using them,what made you guys pick one was it costs,or feedback on them or for what reasons,as i bet many of them wil come in close

Hello. I have just gone through the whole process. I had three companies come out and to be honest two of them have been out three times, as they all came out last year but then we put it on hold Then they came out at the beginning of March this year and we were only going to take half a container. Then when we thought about it, decided to take everything and then replace it all once we are settled, we wanted to take out some stress so decided that moving half way around the world, then trying to find a long term rental and jobs would be hard enough but to go furniture shopping during those first eight weeks was maybe not the best idea, especially as we have three children who we all know hate shopping.

One I took an instance dislike to so that ruled that company out it also took them 3 weeks to get a quote out to me. I was told a 20ft container holds 1020 cubic feet and I am taking 938 cubic feet. Have paid £4,000 for a container, 3 men to come and pack and then 3 men to load the container the next day. The quote was for £4,500 but got them down. It is always worth asking. I also saved £500 on the quote for transit insurance as I am not taking it through the removal firm but the level of cover is exactly the same.

Also I think its much better to have them come out to see exactly what you are taking, they list everything, open all cupboard doors etc so in theory when they come to pack there are no surprises like over spill charges.

Good luck with the move, when are you planning on going. We leave in 11 and half weeks and we are all getting so excited.

​Sarah

well i have had 3 companys out so far this week one who was quick and gave me a price other other survey was on thursday not heard back and one today which i was told i would get quotes on monday to be honest,one today said a price top of his head i know right away that its a no,no for them if they will not budge compared to my first quote.

There are other companies i would have liked to have got involved or quotes from but they will not come and do me aq survey,so the fact that they will not do this i have to score them off my list.

I am being told that its going to be very tight in getting all my stuff in the 20ft container,and one say i just going to be over,and most have said am i going to be prepared to leave a few items back on the day if they find its too much.

My survey is harder than most they probably do as i have items in storage and in two containers,one pretty full not not full and not packed and used like they would use them other one has a few things in it,i do have a lot of things new with original packing which will save a bit of space etc.

But i was wondering anyone on the day been told to be prepared to maybe leave things behind and if so what did you do with these items,did you have the company ship them for you as in another container shared,or did you just sell the stuff or ship another way?

I am really looking to go with a 20ft container and really dont want to upgrade to a 40ft even though i could have even more stuff i could take with me,but with me taking a 40ft and taking the extra items i would need to work out if the extra stuff i wanted to take would be worth it for having a 40ft container,as the cost do go up a bit.

The problem i have is how much will be left over on the day or who knows they did get all away and there was never and issue.

the thing about these companies they dont seem to be telling me about the cubic feet i am using im sure the guy said the max today over 1000,cant remember now what it was,I was also told from my first quote and survey i could have a shared container and get 1050 in that 40ft container but i dont fancy that i prefer if it was sole use,but my first quote was just over £4800 this is door to door,the other two companies i still to here back from,one i had today said we are making taking about £5300 if i remember right seem a lot higher,but they did mentioned about crating certains items but then it was all quick this maybe was extra?So maybe this is why one today on a rough price was so high,until i here back from them i really dont know what they was offering me for the money i know that customs charge was extra.

Just had a quote from a shipping company dorree bonner. Sole use of a 20ft container packing and unpacking uk to perth £3900.

i have to pay 2.75% on the valve of the goods for insurance. Has anybody used these or do you recommend any other companies or companies to stay away from. Looking at moving later this year.