Moving back to uK

Plimthing

Was just wandering if anyone has had any idea of costs to ship 20ft container back to UK? When we came out we got all our stuff packed and shipped for £4500, so was interested to see what it would cost to send it all back taking into account the great ozzy rip off prices etc etc...

Guest Guest6235
We did it about 2 years ago and it cost just over $8000 including insurance. And then we brought it all back 8 months later! It might be a bit more now considering that was so long ago!

You returned to UK and then back to oz again?

Guest Guest6235

What were your reasons for returning to UK and then thinking let's go back to oz...just out of interest. I think when we go to oz and for whatever reason we return back to UK we'd only be able to afford it once.

You returned to UK and then back to oz again?
Well since you ask - UK - Melbourne, then Melbourne-UK, changed mind after 4 days, lucky container hadnt left, stopped container, then UK - Melbourne then Melbourne to Perth, then Perth - Uk, then UK to Melbourne, then Melbourne to Perth. A lot of impulsive and expensive decisions!!!!!

My furniture has travelled a lot more miles than some people haha!

Edited by Weedolly

Guest Guest6235

Wow lost track a bit there. That is some moving around. When you got back to the UK the first or second time did you think why have we come back here?

Wow lost track a bit there. That is some moving around. When you got back to the UK the first or second time did you think why have we come back here?

Did that the first time, went back Melbourne to Scotland, lasted 4 days and it hit us that it had just been an impulsive and wrong decision, luckily we could stop the furniture coming back that time. The second time we went back we knew we would come back but at the time it was the best thing to do, and we would have been back quicker than 8 months but due to personal reasons had to wait that long.

Was just wandering if anyone has had any idea of costs to ship 20ft container back to UK? When we came out we got all our stuff packed and shipped for £4500, so was interested to see what it would cost to send it all back taking into account the great ozzy rip off prices etc etc...

Hi Plimthing are you thinking of going back now

We'll definitely give it two years if one of us has a job, if we haven't then it could be hard to stay longer than a year.

I hate to agree with you mate :wink:

But this entirely,it's a big decision for us and if it doesn't work out we would return to the UK. Finances are one thing but the family have to be happy,luckily little man is only 18months and if he's got sand and sea he's happy,'er indoors would follow me to the moon and as for close family ties they are there but we have our own family (us three and the dog) we live 40 miles away from all the others at the moment and hardly ever see them. This decision is for a better life for US. If that's selfish then hey ho! My lot and their future come first.:cool:

Edited by 7cdb

Guest Guest6235

Im using this through tapatalk so can't see all your details. What stage are you at 7cdb? We got assigned C.O on Monday, we sent police check forms off yesterday & we have medicals next Monday in Manchester.

Im using this through tapatalk so can't see all your details. What stage are you at 7cdb? We got assigned C.O on Monday, we sent police check forms off yesterday & we have medicals next Monday in Manchester.

passed first part of skills assessment,technical on 7th June. IELTS on 30th May. Then the fun begins.....a way behind you,but I'll catch ya' :cool:

Guest Guest6235

Ooh chase me lol

Our daughter is coming up to 8 months old and as a family we will be alright in oz as long as one of us can get work in the first 6 months. We're just looking forward to be able to plan things for a weekend or whenever & you know the weather is going to be ok.Where are you in England. We plan to be in Perth for around early April 2015, we've just been looking at flight prices, surprisingly Singapore are coming up £500 cheaper than Emirates.

We cannot go back immediatley as i am bonded financialy to my work ( a well known airline in Austalia ) but we have to start the financial planning of it all. I am here until Aug 2015 but we have to register the kids in school in UK this Oct for a start in Sep15. So the proccess starts soon and i was trying to get some sums on the go to see how big my piggy bank must be before i smash it open!

You never know in the mean time we might learn to love the place and all it has to offer and end up staying. But just in case i will start the proccess off.

Well since you ask - UK - Melbourne, then Melbourne-UK, changed mind after 4 days, lucky container hadnt left, stopped container, then UK - Melbourne then Melbourne to Perth, then Perth - Uk, then UK to Melbourne, then Melbourne to Perth. A lot of impulsive and expensive decisions!!!!!

My furniture has travelled a lot more miles than some people haha!

May I please have a clipping from that money tree you've been cultivating? :biggrin:

We cannot go back immediatley as i am bonded financialy to my work ( a well known airline in Austalia ) but we have to start the financial planning of it all. I am here until Aug 2015 but we have to register the kids in school in UK this Oct for a start in Sep15. So the proccess starts soon and i was trying to get some sums on the go to see how big my piggy bank must be before i smash it open!

You never know in the mean time we might learn to love the place and all it has to offer and end up staying. But just in case i will start the proccess off.

I know the work situation hasn't been particularly good but are there any other factors forcing this decision? Do you want to talk? Always happy to meet up if you want to vent.

As per porty. If there is anything we can do then give us a shout.

I can sympathize as I hated Oz for ages. Almost 4 years! I even got as far as sending my wife back to the UK to look at houses and I was job hunting. The only reason we didn't is because my wife didn't want to go back. I was on a 457 and hated the visa, the job and the company. But, things change and I am so glad my wife made me stay. I am a complete turn around now - my wife is going back for a holiday next week but I didn't want to even go back for a holiday so will be staying here armed with all the movies I want to watch and things and having a me holiday.

To be honest we have good days and bad days. Seeing friends on Facebook/skype is nice but you get the wished i was there syndrome. The kids are at the age where they generally are agumentative and messy and it doesn't help!! I know thats what kids do and they are not the reason we want to go home. But when you are having a bad day all the usual hastles of life seem ten times worse. Financially we are fine and we still have our house to go back to, just have to try and save a bit to get us home, should, we decide to go. No one ever said it was going to be easy, and we have done all the hard bit ( getting kids settled, good jobs, house, 3 cars etc etc etc) but its the simple things like seeing your mom and family when you want that has buggered us up! (sorry for language). We have lived away before but we were 2 hours away from home by plane and could just come and go as we pleased.

You also have the situation where you are scared to like the place as your partner might be having a bad day (or vica versa) and that would upset the apple cart even more!

We came for an adventure its just too much of an emotional rollercoaster at the moment to enjoy it. Even if we go home, i'm glad we gave it a go ( probably not for long enough in some peoples eyes) and will have done a lot more than the 'dreamers' back in blighty.

But hey ho, it takes allsorts and i dont like the blue liquorice ones.....! Might take you up on your offer one day Port and drive the bug up to Freo and we can have a natter in little creatures.

I don't think you should justify yourself, you're right, this is a massive change in circumstance and it impacts upon everyone differently but what you have done you will learn from. Do whatever is right for you and your family.

I hear what you're saying about kids. mine are 7 and 10 and the ten year old seems to have hit his teens early and we're finding him very challenging at the moment. He also misses family, probably more than any of us and with me out of work at the moment and money being as it is we seem to clash more and more. With everything there is to worry about it would just be nice to have one day without conflict.

That beer would be my pleasure, just let me know when and I'll be there.

Ooh chase me lol

Our daughter is coming up to 8 months old and as a family we will be alright in oz as long as one of us can get work in the first 6 months. We're just looking forward to be able to plan things for a weekend or whenever & you know the weather is going to be ok.Where are you in England. We plan to be in Perth for around early April 2015, we've just been looking at flight prices, surprisingly Singapore are coming up £500 cheaper than Emirates.

Hello mate,

We are on the north Notts South Lincs border. Depending on visa and work here as this will ultimately determine our timescales. By the time we head over little man will be 2 so will have to pay full child fair for him! We have always flown with emirates and have found them brilliant. For us Manchetser,Dubai then Perth. As you say Singapore airlines are a lot cheaper and get great reviews. Only thing for us it would be Heathrow,Munich,Singapore then Perth. No problem but will need to have a proper look when we have a better idea of times.