Not sure what to do??

ukclarkes

I think we have all gone through this thought process. We decided that it was worth taking everything. Things are expensive in Perth and will have things you know, which will help settling in. You can always throw it away once in Perth, but you can't buy it back if you leave it in the UK. We are paying £4615 for a 20' container, door to door insured for £40k. The only other fee is AQIS which is about $440 from memory.

Also, you can take, untreated wood, wicker, wax, plants etc.

We brought everything when we moved and couldn't have furnished the house for the cost of the container. Having said that, we still had to buy stuff - we had another lounge and an outdoor area that needed furniture too. What it did for us also is to gave us time to find shops we liked and quality we liked rather than buy quickly.

We also shipped our things, we felt it was important for the kids to have their things around them (toys mostly) and by the time we got to needing to ship toys, bikes and a few bits of furniture that we did want to take we were as well to ship a whole 20ft container. As Ali said we did still need to get some things, but it has also given us time to find places that we like in terms of buying stuff and also to wait until we have bought a house here to really worry about what furniture we need going forwards as it is very difficult to tell when you dont know what space you will have. For us we didnt want to fit out a rental place with furniture that fitted perfectly when we knew that wasnt going to be a long long term thing (only a year or so at most). I have to say though, I did also find it quite liberating not having any stuff whilst waiting for the container, so can totally understand the appeal of that decision as well. Price wise shipping was cheaper. Good luck with your decision!

We are taking everything we can including fridge freezer, washer and dryer. All our appliances are fairly new and I bought top end as they needed replacing. There's no way we could afford to replace like for like if we were to replace it all new in Australia. Our shipping cost is a bit over £7k so far including insurance. We have a 40ft high cube container so that will fit the car in too.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Guest Guest6235
I think we have all gone through this thought process. We decided that it was worth taking everything. Things are expensive in Perth and will have things you know' date=' which will help settling in. You can always throw it away once in Perth, but you can't buy it back if you leave it in the UK. We are paying £4615 for a 20' container, door to door insured for £40k. The only other fee is AQIS which is about $440 from memory.

Also, you can take, untreated wood, wicker, wax, plants etc.[/quote']

Wow, insured for 40k......crown jewels an all. What have you got Dan?

We are going down the shared container option which depending on which company we go with will be between £2700-£3000

Edited by Guest6235

we are using Clark & Rose. I got 3 quotes and C&R wasnt the cheapest but it wasnt much more expensive and we've used them before. So far all has gone to plan (touch wood) and they've been easy to deal with. Our household belongings have gone into C&R storage until we leave in Jan.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Nothing like drinking a cuppa out of your usual mug!.... We have been in a rental for the last 8 months, we have most of our boxes still in the garage....hoping to move into our 'own' house in December and i can't tell you how excited i am to get those boxes open!!... We won't need Santa to come!!!

Guest Guest6235
How much would it cost you to buy everything new? If you add it all up, It'll be a fair amount.

My wife and I went through this last night and we think we've got it about right. We don't have many valuable things, probably our sofa's are the most valuable. Even with aussie prices. My wife doesn't have many shoes or valuable clothes / jewellery etc. 95% of our clothes will be with us in cases and those will be covered with travel insurance. As for tools, I have a hammer and some spanners, oh and a couple of screwdrivers.

I know it's sentimental but we're worried about old photo albums of family when we were all younger going missing. My old football stuff.

Edited by Guest6235

We bought everything new here as we didn't have the money to ship and in any case most of our things were in pretty bad shape - think a sofa that could only be sat on in one place without collapsing straight through to the floor. So we shipped ten boxes of personal items and clothes.

The he cost of buying everything at mid range prices was about $25k, that was just basics - bed, bedding, washing machine, fridge and things. And that was in 2008. You would be surprised how things add up. I would say for an average family, $40k of cover would be the bare minimum. Oh, and we have no children.

Guest Guest6235

I know this thread wasn't for me but thanks for the advice anyhow, we will most likely up our insurance a few grand or so then and possibly look at insure your move etc. I just wonder what it's like with these external companies sorting out a pay out, apparently Crown use their own in house insurance and they can do it it at a good rate for us and it was for ultimate cover should we use them.