MoveCube Dummies thread!

cutchibear

Hi all,

We are starting to think about packing a few bits and pieces together so I thought I would create a thread where I could ask all sorts of stupid questions re packing/the movecube and get your expert advice!

So my first question...I am going to start by packing my little boy's old baby clothes in vacuum packs....Do I put the silicon sachets in the vacuum packs too? And once I have a few vacuum packs do I then just simply pack them together in a box/suitcase?

told you they would be daft questions :arghh:

Thanks!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@DangerousDave the house thing is so daunting. We accepted an offer last week but I am still so anxious - we have a bit of a dodgy neighbour - he is harmless and actually really handy to have but if you see him he is a bit off putting (just sits out his window, stands in his front garden) I'm convinced they are going to spot him and pull out!

Hope someone will come along and answer my first question above before I start pestering with more!! :)

Hi our movecube comes next Tuesday they have just delivered a load of boxes for me to start to put together and now I'm in the process of bubble wrapping everything.It's amazing how much stuff you have when you start packing boxes,we were going to use vac pacs but then I thought what if the customs open them up to have a look,I'm sure they won't back them small again,just a thought

Hi all,

We are starting to think about packing a few bits and pieces together so I thought I would create a thread where I could ask all sorts of stupid questions re packing/the movecube and get your expert advice!

So my first question...I am going to start by packing my little boy's old baby clothes in vacuum packs....Do I put the silicon sachets in the vacuum packs too? And once I have a few vacuum packs do I then just simply pack them together in a box/suitcase?

told you they would be daft questions :arghh:

Thanks!

We're using vac packs in our Move Cube although I wasn't going to bother putting them in a box. I was just going to label the pack and include it on the inventory, that way I was hoping they could fill some of the narrow gaps that are inevitable!

I hadn't thought about the silicon sachets though, hmmmm might have to go get some. I'd put them inside the vac pack.

My large cube is coming on the 20th October - not long now!

thanks all - great place for us movecubbers to discuss!! @7cdb I'm sure I've heard someone else take a kingsize in a large cube....that's what we are planning to do anyway! Probably minus the mattress but have little boy's cot and nursery furniture then plus all the normal pictures, memorable items, clothes etc!! @wild rose you can give us a heads up re your cube and sizing!! may be we don't need to put the silica sachets in the vacuum packs though? Perhaps someone in the know may advise ;)@Lee Thorp interesting comment re customs opening them up - surely not to vacuum packs of clothes? can anyone advise?

Hi this scoobypatchs wife. We moved to perth 7 months ago and used severn seas small move cube.We were lucky and had no problems with customs. I packed various clothes and bedding using vac pacs although I didn't use any silicone sachets because I wasn't sure if customs allowed it. Everything inside the vac pack needs to be written on your inventory. I put some in boxes and used some as fillers for small gaps. You can pretty much send any item packed in anyway so long as it has your customer number and item reference number (for the inventory) on it. We found it really helpful to measure and tape out the size of the cube on our spare room floor. We packed boxes and worked out the best fit before the cube arrived so we knew exactly how to pack it on the day and that everything would fit. Hope this helps louise

thanks louise! Perhaps we are best avoiding the silica sachets then - i guess if vacuum packed, little or no moisture should get in anyway.

Fabulous - may use the vaccum packs to fill spaces then as many of you have suggested!

Do you have to write on every single item on your inventory, or simply e.g. 1 vacuum pack of baby vests, 1 pack of adult clothes etc etc??

We have booked a medium ATM. At the weekend we moved our daughter out of the box room and taped the size of the cube out. We are not taking furniture, but we are still unsure if medium will be big enough. We are taking books, toys, board games, photo's, clothes, towels and some kitchen stuff. But when I have started going through things like wedding/christening presents that have never seen the light of day I am unsure - should I keep them or get rid? Also wedding dress. It is dirty on the bottom. I have been quoted £110 to clean it. Should I or should I not. It is all a bit stressful as DH works away and still have to continue normal life with 3 children, job and so on. Any thoughts?

I would check with the company you are using about how to write you inventory. We had to write down everything i.e 10x women's t shirts 3 children's dresses, we took a lot of toys with us so for things like that we put 10 barbie dolls and approx 100 accessories. Since moving here though I have met people who didn't have such precise inventory's and had no trouble at all. I always thought it was best to be safe than sorry. The most important thing is to declare anything you are unsure of including new and wooden items. Some people have mentioned the sizes of the move cube we only took a small cube and you would be surprised how much can fit in there if you pack clever. I used soft toys pants socks tshirts anything as protective wrap to utilise the space. I also made sure my boxes fitted in a uniform manner as not loose any space.

I didn't use silica gel and the vac sealed bags stayed sealed. I was a bit worried about books and photo albums getting damaged by damp so I wrapped then in cling film in bundles before putting in the boxes.

We had a large movecube and fitted 16 12x12inch boxes, 3 or 4 smaller ones, 1 single divan bed and mattress, our Ikea daybed(taken apart) with the 2 mattresses, a double mattress and a couple of other bits. I wrote what was in each box but along the lines of 'box 1- books, box 2- linen and curtains, box 3- toys, teddy bears, board games'.

The shoes are meant to be cleaned and put in a marked box near the front of the movecube. Our shoe box, a book box and a box of ornaments were inspected by AQIS but no problems.

Vacuum packs ordered so can make a start with that.

next question...

what is the best way to pack furniture such as wooden bed frame, wooden cot, wooden drawers etc? Those that can be dismantled easily will be, but is it best to wrap/cover them with something to avoid damp? What worked for you?

Haven't really thought much about damp but I've bought a few rolls of bubble wrap and will be wrapping all the furniture in it to try and stop it being damaged. I've also bought a roll of shrink wrap so everything will then get some of that as well! As we're packing it ourselves I was thinking it's got to be better to be a little too protective rather than not enough.

Not really sure what packaging could help stop damp though. If it's wrapped in plastic it might do more harm than good maybe??

What were you thinking of doing?

thanks for the response @wild rose

I think your plan of bubble wrap for the furniture is a good one. I was just thinking those items that were are not dismantling would be fiddley, but actually....things like a chest of drawers can be filled with items and then bubble wrapped.

and i agree - best be over cautious with the wrapping!!!

That's what I have done @cutchibear I've filled cabinets and drawers with clothes and things, then wrapped it with bubble wrap and will then do the shrink-wrap. I've marked the container size with masking tape in the spare room and have started piecing it all together. We'll add the majority of the big things this weekend and then the cube is coming on Monday. I'm going to label the boxes up and complete the inventory in advance too although I keep thinking I'm going to run out of time!!!

• 5 weeks later...