heartbroken to re home our dog, is it cruel to ship or cruel to leave her?

Amiio1

Ok so this is our situation ....

We got a puppy cockerpoo Xmas 2013 and since had been my kiddies best friend and a lovely family dog. However, she is very nervous and timid and piddles when any male enters our house and hides.

I really want to take her to oz with us but my hubby is saying it's not practical. He thinks she isn't emotionally stable to travel so long, meeting various ppl along the way and having to stay in quarantine in Sydney for ten days before being flew back to perth. He also doesn't think she can handle heat, we won't be able to get a rental, he will have to spend weekend at 'dog s***' beaches and when we travel around at weekend she will be stuck home. All valid points and his words not mine but it will break my heart.

We have found a lovely family who really want her and are willing to take her out and get to know her before hand but I am so teary about it.

Any advice on ppl who took their pets, left them in uk, what companies recommended and if it's possible to get rentals would be massively appreciated.

Thanks Amii

I have a similar dilemma with my cat who is the most loving, well behaved cat I have ever met. He is so cuddly yet independent. My husband and I both grew up with many cats but we really feel our current cat is something different. It breaks my heart to consider leaving him behind but we will struggle financially at first and will have little option of rentals. Our neighbours also love him to pieces as he often nips into all their houses to spend time with them, playing with their toddlers and having a cuddle.

The thought of leaving him makes me feel sick, yet It's the pressure of the unknown quality of life he would have if we took him with us. Our savings would be gone and he would be unhappy. Where we currently live there is barely any traffic, a huge grassed area in front of the house that he has to himself to play in each day. He known his location, his surroundings, the wildlife. And recently, two of our neighbours have asked if they could adopt him when we leave.

It's such a hard answer to give them, by taking him with us there appears more negatives than positives yet leaving him will break our hearts.

I hope you manage to make a decision soon x

Amii

I have two dogs (1 is a cockapoo) and I intend to take them.

there seem to be a lot of rentals on reiwa that will take dogs, more so than in the UK. My dogs are nervous and I will enquire with the vet if they can have some kind of sedative. The children will be leaving so much behind but they can take their furry friends with them.

Good luck

Just do what you think is best for you, your family and your pet. Don't woryy about what people will think, you have done the best by them so far and if it was me I would rather then went to someone I know rather than a dogs home. I think only you can make that decision as what is right for other may not be the same for you. It's never easy having to re home a pet, we had to rehome our weirmarana last year and he was so good with my kids and I loved him to bits. It was so hard at the time but was the best thing for him.

Really feel for you.

We're in the same situation. We have a Jack Russell (Ziggy), he's a year older than Danny so Danny has always had him around. We're currently trying to find a family for him in the uk that will love him as we have as we don't think he will have the life we want for him in Aus. We're also having to rehome our cat (Spice), she's too old to take with us.

We've already had tears about the pair of them and as the time comes for us to give them up, we all know it's going to be a nightmare both when the time comes and for a while after.

We think it's the best thing to do though. You really have to decide for yourself what the best thing for you, your family and your pets is.

Good luck making the decision.

We've known for a while we were emigrating and were supposed to be going this month but it was delayed. We moved in with parents last March and rehomed out beautiful dog last feb - I've been pining for her everyday and still cry! It's been the most difficult thing for me to do. However she was also very nervous and I knew she wouldn't cope with the plane journey and I actually honestly believe I was being selfish wanting to take her. I still wish we were taking her and maybe regret it a bit but the breed I had don't adjust to change very well and I've had one turn on me before....it was mainly forced by my husband at the time and I have to admit she's in a wonderful home now and it was the right decision for her....but I still miss her everyday!!!

We do have a cat who doesn't care about anything and is the children's best friend....she will be going she is stoic and I know she will cope.

It was never about money for us but how our babies would cope....and one would te other certainly wouldn't bless her xx

hi

I really feel for everyone who is leaving their beloved pets behind.

I have two cats and one dog (puppy at the moment) not looking to go till later in the year but we are taking them with us , the thought of leaving was not an option. I have found that there are rental's out there that will let you have pets.

at the end of the day you need to do what's best for you and your family.

I hope you all make the right decision.

Ok so this is our situation .... We got a puppy cockerpoo Xmas 2013 and since had been my kiddies best friend and a lovely family dog. However, she is very nervous and timid and piddles when any male enters our house and hides. I really want to take her to oz with us but my hubby is saying it's not practical. He thinks she isn't emotionally stable to travel so long, meeting various ppl along the way and having to stay in quarantine in Sydney for ten days before being flew back to perth. He also doesn't think she can handle heat, we won't be able to get a rental, he will have to spend weekend at 'dog s***' beaches and when we travel around at weekend she will be stuck home. All valid points and his words not mine but it will break my heart. We have found a lovely family who really want her and are willing to take her out and get to know her before hand but I am so teary about it. Any advice on ppl who took their pets, left them in uk, what companies recommended and if it's possible to get rentals would be massively appreciated. Thanks Amii

maybe I can dispel some of this.

Dogs handle the heat fine. It just takes a tiny bit of thought from us. We don't take him for walks in the middle of summer during the middle of the day. He doesn't like it. The rest of the year is fine and on hot summers days we just take him out early morning and early evening. On the hottest days he is slovenly - like us - and we just give him and ice cube.

Our little fella is on a dog beach as I write. It is also one of the best beaches in the area. There are loads of fantastic beaches that are dog friendly.

Your not going to be travelling around on a weekend any more than you do now. So, yes, some days it will be left alone. Ours is occasionally but not that often. Yesterday, we had to go into the city. So, we all went and added a trip to kings park to give our fella a run. The result was a better day for all of us.

I wouldnt worry at all about rentals. We arrived in the middle of the boom when rentals were hard to get. We still never struggled and we only had 2 weeks to find somewhere. Today, there is no shortage of rentals and having a dog would be of no detriment at all.

We have been here been a year and a half, and we rehomed our two cats a year before we moved out here, purely because Missy was such a nervous cat, we thought the flight we do more harm than good, whenever she was put in a cattery she would stay under her blanket the whole time, never coming out for food or a cuddle from the owners of the cattery, and at the time there was a longer quarantine period. It was the worse decision of all, especially for the kids, and to be honest they still have not forgiven us about it. The move here was so traumatic for the children, that to have their fur babies arrive a few weeks after them would have made the world of difference, and that is the only thing I would do different out of the whole experience.

We now have two pets, a black rescue cat and a cavoodle, who we all adore and love but we still miss our original babies.

If your children really are attached to your dog, then personally I would bring her, as a few weeks of upset for her, which she would still have if you rehomed her, but its two weeks out of her life, then she gets the most important people back in her life.

Also dogs are a big part of life here, lots of cafes provide water bowls and treats for them. All the parks around me are full of dogs meeting up with other dogs for play dates, I know that sounds daft, but it really happens here, so you might find your baby will help a bit with your social life here, as you may meet like minded people on her walks.

Cara our cavoodle loves the beach, she is too young to be let of the lead yet, but she loves to run around, playing with the other dogs, running in and out of the water, just having fun. As Vstormy says you just adapt during the summer, Cara stays indoors during really hot days and tends to sleep lots, come the evening time when it gets cooler, she runs around like a loon.

Good luck with your decision, but from my experience, which is what you have asked for, try and bring her as it may make your life a little bit easier for when you first get here.

We left our Jack Russell who was major hyper. He is with my son in the UK, he hated travelling in the car would bark whinge and whine he had to be crated plus he was 12 years old. There was no way he would have survived the flight he would have died from hysteria. My cats were re-homed heart breaking decision but we knew we did the right thing. The two of them went to a lovely young couple who spoilt them rotten.

I am afraid to be blunt but the decision is yours and yours alone to make. What ever you decide I am sure you will do the right thing. One thing to remember is once the dog is crated for flight it will be in there for the duration. The dogs do not get taken out until they reach their destination quarantine regardless what pet ship services say. Plus your pet will have to travel to Sydney I believe unless Perth quarantine are back in business. So the animal will have 2 flights to get to Sydney stay there plus another to get it to Perth if that is the case .............

I know it sounds heartless but if you do re-home there is an abundance of animals from pedigree to cross breed to heinz 57ers in shelters here looking for a loving family to give them a home. We re-homed and have an absolutely fantastic Rottweiler who is a blessing in disguise its like we have had her from a puppy. She is the apple of my eye

Good luck with what you decide thoughts are with you it is hard decision to make xxx

Edited by elfie

This is obviously just my personal thoughts, but I would not put an animal through the trip. I fostered a beautiful pedigree Great Dane a few years ago that had been terribly traumatised by a flight as a puppy from his NSW breeder to his owner here in Perth. He had separation anxiety disorder and after a few months he had to be given up for rescue as his owners could not cope with him. He arrived to us at 5 months and try as I might I could not leave him even for a minute. He cut all his paws up scrutches huge chunks of plaster off the walls and humped every single person who walked anywhere near him. I tried and tried but after three weeks he had to go back to rescue. The vet said he reckoned it was the flight that had done it. Ruined the poor thing. So to put an animal through 24 hours of it especially if they are already nervous is not something I'd do.

We were worried about our little fella - it was only sydney to perth, but then had to go in kennels for a couple of weeks while we found somewhere. He is VERY clingy and has more than his fair share of issues. But, while he displayed some immediate issues with separation, he was fine within a couple of months.

Thank you for all your replies, still non the wiser though lol and still undecided. I contacted petair yesterday who said they fly 100s dogs out every month the oz and they all seem to be ok as they see videos etc after. Only thing is I had truffles rabies jab done few month bk but with everything else I forgot to go bk for bloods so it will be 7 months before she can fly and we are planning to leave in April.

she is also the month clingiest, timid, scared dog ever. Argh!! It's actually like having another baby which makes me think... I wouldn't leave them here lol xx

Not trying to teach you to suck eggs, but have you thought about training before you leave for her timidness. There is a trainer here who is fantastic with nervous, scared, hyper, well to be honest every type of dog you can imagine and her work is excellent, so there might be one near you, that could help calm her and get her on track. Only a thought but it might make bringing her a bit easier for you to handle, or even if you decided to leave her behind, you might be able to equip her with the knowledge she will need to help her settle into a new family.