Buying a used car

stephanie1982

Hi hoping someone can give me a bit more info as I'm struggling to find exact answers on the transport website. I am arriving in Perth next week and will be looking to buy a little run around (looking at a Hyundai Getz ) gonna spend about $2000 what other costs will I have to pay on top of this please.

Really hoping someone can help. Thanks in advance.

That's about all if it has registration. The registration is a bit like tax. You pay it yearly and you will need to check how much rego it has on it - avoid cars that don't have any registration as they need to be inspected (a bit like an MOT) before you can register it and tend to have a lot of faults.

Be aware that $2000 is a bit on the low side. I sold my Getz a couple of weeks ago before we returned to the UK for $3000 and that was one of the older ones - 2004 and with a fair bit of mileage on it and it was snapped up in a couple of hours of being on Gumtree

http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensing/vehicle-licence-duty-calculator.asp

You going to pay a huge $55.00 in tax and $16.75 in transfer fees

Thanks yes I did calculate this...will I need to just renew the rego when it's due?? Any ideas on the 12 month cost?

Cant remember if there was a transfer fee - I know there wasn't on selling, but too long ago I bought.

Do be very careful with very cheap cars. There is no MOT in WA as long as people keep it registered, so you can buy some real heaps!

The Getz is in the lowest rego bracket

There is a transfer fee & stamp duty based on the value, you have to declare the market value & they charge you tax on it, the transfer fee is for changing the rego over, if you buy through a dealer they sort it all out for you.

Aww bless you …. its a very big thing were all doing :o)

…. Well we fly 7 june …. going to stay in Perth for a couple of nights …. then down to Bunbury for a bit to get things sorted !

Sent cash a few weeks ago …. move cube arrives 11th april ….. But yes every emotion is being felt :o)

Good luck and we will sure to see you over there x