Welcome to the Perth Poms Forum.

Title
      Liked
      1 times
      Status

Fumigation costs

We are currently getting quotes for shipping a 20ft container full of our home! I am finding it hard to get anyone to tell me what fumigation costs may be...has anyone had any experience?

Is it worth bringing bikes, camping equipment, Dyson etc & risk the possible fumigation cost being less than re buying these items in Perth if we don't bring them?

2. John Mason International Movers
      PSS International Movers

Title
      Administrator
      Liked
      2572 times
      Status
      I think it may depend on how many items. We brought bikes and garden furniture/equipment and had no additional costs at port
      Lord make my words sweet and reasonable. For some day I may have to eat them

Title
      Liked
      98 times
      Status
      Hi, we put our dyson parts through the dishwasher before packing it up, got rid of the hose for the tumbler and thoroughly disinfected 2 bikes and a scooter. We have been quoted $480 but the container only docked yesterday so hasn't been opened or treated yet. Don't know if we'll be charged any more but depending on what you bring it may cost you more to replace dysons are about $350.

Will let you know if we get charged any more.
      Decided to move Nov 15, skills assessment submitted engineers australia 29 Jan 16, Hubby IELTS passed 20 Feb 16, positive Skills assessment with Engineers Australia end Apr 16. EOI Submitted 11 June, Invitation to apply beginning July. Application submitted 11th July CO assigned after 3 weeks. House up for sale 6th Aug. Police checks back 10 Aug Meds booked 17th Aug. Visas granted 13th Sept, house sold 26th October. Landed 11th January '17

Title
      Liked
      1264 times
      Status
      Regardless of what you ship the container will be fumigated. Individual items that may need other forms of sterile treatment cost extra. Downside they will not tell you what. We had items,that needed more at an extra cost of $750 we decided against. To this day we havent missed anything. Items then disposed of so they say. A ruddy con me thinks

Title
      Liked
      97 times
      Status
      We have just had the last of our stuff brought over and it consisted of 17 large boxes. We shared a container with others and our Customs and fumigation costs were $165 combined.
      I was never a camper in the UK, too bloody cold and wet, but we are considering it here and find that pretty good quality stuff made for the Australian climate is reasonably priced so unless your stuff is top quality I'd sell it and save yourself the cost of bringing it. For example, I bought an outdoor cover for my boat in the UK, just a cheap one of Ebay but its been on the boat in the UK for the past 2 years with a little bit of fading but all good, arrived here in December and between then and last week the Sun has destroyed it, took all the colour out of it and made it brittle, full day of heavy rain last week and it split!! Had to buy an Aussie made one, not much more in cost than the last one but made of much better stuff.

A friend of ours told me that he knew some people who brought a bike over and it got knocked back for cleaning or destruction, they were quoted $200 dollars, they disputed that it was dirty and the cost went down to $100 they then demanded to see the dirt on the bike and went to the port where, when they arrived, it had miraculously been wiped over free of charge and they were able to take it!! So as elfie says, its a money making exercise.

Title
      Liked
      1 times
      Status
      I get the feeling it is all based on whether the customs staff/inspectors are in a good mood or not that particular day!

Thanks for all of your advice. We have lived in Perth before, we moved out early 2008 & didn't have any issues with things needing to be fumigated but we didn't bring any "risky" items that time. Having lived in Perth the reason I'm trying to weigh up the cost of fumigation v cost of replacement is because I know items like bikes, hoovers, gazebos etc are pretty pricey over there...unless things have changed in the last 4 years?

• Letton Percival provide shipping insurance for your international move

•