Import a motorbike on 457 visa

Nutnudger

Hi there all,

I was under the impression I could not import my motorbike while on this visa, but someone at work told me I should be able to as they know someone who has taken a car. So I had a quick look into it, and it turns out I can. Is there anyone out there who has been through this process and can give me any tips, and that can recommend a freight company to use?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

We know someone who is bringing their bike and its just going in the container with the rest of the shipping. There is a lot of paperwork required to bring a car or bike and you must have proof that youve owned it for more than 12 months otherwise you will be liable for stamp duty when you register it over here. I know people that have brought cars and said its just not been worth it what with the costs and and the paperwork, along with the time it takes to actually get here and clear customs

hi you have to weigh up the value of your bike plus shipping costs. We sold all our bikes before leaving the uk. The price on bikes over here is high eg a new fireblade your talking big money compared to the uk, older bikes hold their value here also and are mega expensive. Its a case of .the devil you know etc. There are a lot of online dealerships if you want to browse to compare prices if you sold your bike and what you could get for same money over here and cost of shipping etc. Good luck, my hubs is desperate to get back on 2 wheels oh and me and we are looking every time he is back from site ....................

Hi there guys thanks for the reply's

The bike is a 2005 R1 i have owned it for more than 12 months, it's the one in my avatar (yellow & White) i could sell the bike in the UK for around £3,700 but my work are paying all the bills for the move out, so i am hoping that i could get the bike put in the container but the problem i think I'm going to have is that i can not import the bike until i have approval and it looks like they wont give the approval out until I'm in country?

Any idea's?

Hi there guys thanks for the reply's

The bike is a 2005 R1 i have owned it for more than 12 months, it's the one in my avatar (yellow & White) i could sell the bike in the UK for around £3,700 but my work are paying all the bills for the move out, so i am hoping that i could get the bike put in the container but the problem i think I'm going to have is that i can not import the bike until i have approval and it looks like they wont give the approval out until in country?

Any idea's?

well the 3700 uk pounds would convert to about $6k then add your shipping costs ...................... research online bike dealers Perth to weigh up the financial gain or loss..................... its a risk re the importing plus you would have to wait 2 months for it to arrive then customs costs ....... my friend you have some serious thinking to do lolol good luck with what you decide. oh and just to let you know uk motorcycle news can be posted to oz :o) but you have to pay the annual subs up front yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh its not the same reading it online i can tell you

good luck

Mary

Guest guest1337

I you love your bike as much as most of us riders do, then bring it. You will regret it forever otherwise, the cost is marginal compared to hours of joy ridding here in beautiful weather, nearly all year round! You would never be able to buy a 2005 R1 anywhere in Perth for the equivalent of 3700 pounds! I assure you!!!

Am bringing a bike in next week, it's going in the container with the rest of my stuff. You can apply while you are in the uk, you need to prove ownership for 12 months, meet the 100 points criteria and have the approval before you ship it. It's quite a lot of paperwork, but it's achievable if you have all the documents. I'm not yet clear on the process once it's gets there, but will work that out while its on the ship.

well the 3700 uk pounds would convert to about $6k then add your shipping costs ...................... research online bike dealers Perth to weigh up the financial gain or loss..................... its a risk re the importing plus you would have to wait 2 months for it to arrive then customs costs ....... my friend you have some serious thinking to do lolol good luck with what you decide. oh and just to let you know uk motorcycle news can be posted to oz :o) but you have to pay the annual subs up front yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh its not the same reading it online i can tell you

good luck

Mary

Don't be silly bikes are stupid money here , o ly one word of caution with riding sports bikes , the car drivers are pants and the speed limits are low and plod like pickin on bikers. The roads are very straight and a bit boring

I have just been reading up on how I go about importing my bike or car? If I do import one of them I know it will be on a temp bases as I will be on a 547 Visa but I am marred to an Australian so once in country I will need to apply for a spouse visa this should give me leave to remain in the country as we have kids

So the question is will I need to send the car or bike back to the UK on the date specified on the visa irrespective of the fact that I will want to keep it in WA with us?

Thanks for any help you can give

Mark

I have just been reading up on how I go about importing my bike or car? If I do import one of them I know it will be on a temp bases as I will be on a 547 Visa but I am marred to an Australian so once in country I will need to apply for a spouse visa this should give me leave to remain in the country as we have kids

So the question is will I need to send the car or bike back to the UK on the date specified on the visa irrespective of the fact that I will want to keep it in WA with us?

Thanks for any help you can give

Mark

I imported a car a few months ago, couldnt bring my bikes coz you only get one permit every 5 years, your bike gets an import permit, not you, once your bike is here and road legal, you can sell it if you want, doesnt matter if your visa expires.

Let me know if you need any help, but apply for the permit asap, you need the 100 points, i can give you some pointers on getting the points, also, if you are friendly with your local Yam dealer, ask him if he will crate it up for you in a Yam R1 box, I did this with my GSXR when I left RSA a few years ago, it was well worth it.