Rottnest

Plimthing

I think it offers both the best and worst of WA.

On the one hand the landscape is amazing. There are some beautiful little coves and beaches, crystal clear waters, if you're lucky you'll have whales and dolphins dancing around you too and your kids will want to take the little quokkas home, they're so cute.

However, it has a dreadful history of incarceration and abuse. The accommodation is shocking, I mean like 1950's holiday park chalets that haven't had a cent spent on them since and you're charged five star prices for them. If you go, take your own food and drink, again, it's terrible, the service is appalling and you'll pay a fortune for it.

When we go we take our own bikes, fuel up with a big breakfast and take a decent picnic in paper bags. When we get there we ride into the island, Parakeet Bay is lovely, have a swim, lunch on the beach and then a ride around before the ferry returns.

As ali said, there are often vouchers that bring the cost of the ferry down. If I were in your position I'd only go if I could get the cheap tickets and avoid buying anything there.

We found the history of the island fascinating and a trip to Oliver Hill is a must if you do go. They do really interesting walking tours around the main settlement which you can book at the tourist info office near the ferry terminal. Agree about the food, you'd think they would have sorted some of these issues out over the years but it's not changed in the 10 years we have been going.

I think it offers both the best and worst of WA.

On the one hand the landscape is amazing. There are some beautiful little coves and beaches, crystal clear waters, if you're lucky you'll have whales and dolphins dancing around you too and your kids will want to take the little quokkas home, they're so cute.

However, it has a dreadful history of incarceration and abuse. The accommodation is shocking, I mean like 1950's holiday park chalets that haven't had a cent spent on them since and you're charged five star prices for them. If you go, take your own food and drink, again, it's terrible, the service is appalling and you'll pay a fortune for it.

When we go we take our own bikes, fuel up with a big breakfast and take a decent picnic in paper bags. When we get there we ride into the island, Parakeet Bay is lovely, have a swim, lunch on the beach and then a ride around before the ferry returns.

As ali said, there are often vouchers that bring the cost of the ferry down. If I were in your position I'd only go if I could get the cheap tickets and avoid buying anything there.

We just went recently and the accommodation has been upgraded significantly since I was last there (quite a few years ago)! It's very expensive though. But, we love it....I love it! Best holidays I had growing up were at Rottnest. I wish it was a more affordable holiday though..

• 3 months later...

Sure is. I grew up in Freo in the 60's and 70's and hence Rotto was my adventure playground. Had many formative experiences there !!!!

We have gone for years normally mid-winter. Winter in Rotto is milder than Perth and if you are lucky you can get marooned there for a few days if a winter storm goes through. My kids are now grown up but when they return to Perth from London, Melbourne or Broome they head for Rotto for a few days at least.

Go for a week and hence the ferry price is no big deal, but accommodation costs could send you broke. Flights to Rotto are also good value.

Great landscape, complex history, warm water, great for scuba or free diving, beautiful beaches, good fishing and you leave your car at home.

It's like going overseas but you don't need a passport.