What to pack in your suitcase...?

Stef Colquhoun

Hi all! New to the forum, will be moving to Perth in January 2017 with The Husband so we are right into the planning stage now.

Have looked at flights and so far Singapore Airlines are looking likely. Basic ticket comes with 30kg luggage each. We are shipping our worldly belongings over in a shared 40ft container so will take a while to arrive (will be aiming for a furnished rental in the meantime).

So the question is - how do you decide what to pack in the suitcase going with you??

Obviously smart and casual clothes and shoes for work/out of work. Laptop, chargers, phones, all relevant paperwork we might need (Visa, ID's, marriage certificates etc).

What else might be an essential that we may need ahead of our container arriving?

Any help / ideas very much appreciated!!

Thanks in advance,

Stef:cute:

Hi we're hoping for January/February to move, I would think just Summer clothes and as much stuff that you'd need every day. I'd think about what would be relatively cheap to buy when you get there and leave that out of the suitcase. I've heard that some airlines allow more luggage if you're migrating. We havent really looked at flights yet, just concentrating on getting the house ready to sell and organising what we'll need first when we get there i.e holiday rental and rental car.

Exciting times!!

Bring everything you can cram in... You'll end up with all the winter stuff you're wearing after your container is packed, then on top of that will be the summer clothes you need for Australia. I'm going to add a tip here - buy shoes in the UK! I can't believe the cost of decent shoes here. I have some Ecco sandals that I bought for £75 (still had sticker inside) and I saw them in a shop here for a lot more....can't remember how much but the shop owner told me we are slugged with import taxes on shoes here.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...