Things that drive you nuts

Akasully2

I'm feeling mildly irritated today. I have noticed small things that have grated on my nerves. Equally so, some days things slide off me like a Teflon frying pan, but today they have touched a nerves like chalk screeching along a blackboard. For each of us it will be different.

These are mine today...

1) At work - Repeatedly telling my pupils to ensure they put their name and form on their paintings so they get them back. However, when putting them on the drying rack I asked them if they had done it, 50% of them looked sheepish and went back to their tables to do it. Grrrrrr.....!

2) On here - People who miss spell common words or do not use full stops or commas. Not typo mistakes caused by sausage fingers (like me) or auto correct tools but basic spell mistakes. To v. Too, brought v. bought, there and their, definately v. Definitely, immigrant v. Emigrant. Grrrrr....!

I'm reaching for the red wine as I type this. I need to relax.

So, I can't be alone in this. What drives you mad?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am dyslexic and given I left school barely able to read and write, I am happy with where I am with it now.

Mrs p is dyslexic but since being here there are some things that have improved for her - her coordination for example. I've often wondered why such a complex word 'dyslexia' was selected to describe a disorder that affects peoples reading ability. Surely something simpler could have been found?

Sorry OP, I digress.

1. My sons inability to eat with his mouth closed or biting down on the cutlery as he clears it of food. We're constantly coaching him through it but it just doesn't sink in and I don't mind admitting that I could scream every mealtime.

2. Newbies on any forum who open an account and ask the most common question without first checking the 3 billion years of previous responses. It's a lazy disease relevant to any forum - "Will a Porsche engine bolt straight into a Beetle?" on a VW forum, "Where are all the baby pigeons?" on an ornithology forum and "Why is Scientology even a religion?" on the Tom Cruise fan club forum.

3. Real estate agents.

Portlaunay

I so have to agree with your number 1. Our meal times are spent moaning at my eldest about how he eats, and we have been doing that for about 8 years now and nothing gets through and I don't know how many times we have to tell him to not talk with his mouthful. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

Elife, I don't think you will get slammed for that one, I feel unless you have physically been here how can you give advice, obviously you can regarding stuff that you are still doing like removers and what to take, but the reality of actually coming here and doing things are sooooooo different to what you think they will and what they are and they are so different for other people. Its like when people who have never been pregnant or had children how on earth can they give advice (professionals don't count because they have done years and years of training, but I mean normal regular people).

Akasully2 so agree with you regarding spelling etc. Obviously we make fat fingers mistakes, I am doing it all the time, I don't think electronic gadgets help in this respect either.

Akasully2 another great thread you have started. I really am interested to see what threads you start when you do get out here.:wink:

Pedestrians who push the button for the little green man to help them get safely across the road AND THEN CROSS ANYWAY BECAUSE THERE'S A GAP!!! Off they wander down the street, merrily on their way while traffic banks up at the red light where nobody is crossing. Grrrr. My pedestrian rage moment.

OK here is my 2 pennies worth...

Meal times with my kids - lost count of the number of times we have asked them to sit properly, eat properly, use cutlery properly - drives me mad

The fact that my youngest ALWAYS has to take his shoes off when we get in the car - regardless of the length of the journey or repeated requests not to, and then we ALWAYS have to spend 5 minutes putting them back on again to get out of the car

People that have to be negative about EVERYTHING! I know that sometimes things are tough, but why not try to look for the positives in things, wouldn't life be happier if they did?!

I can easily forgive people for spelling and grammar mistakes. I've met many people who have difficulties with writing but are extremely eloquent when you talk to them.

It text speak that gets me...

Spk 2 u l8r.

Are these people on a phone plan where they're charged by the letter?

Toilet roll being put in the holder the wrong way round also bugs me.

I'm also not a fan of the longer working hours in Oz. Its not that I'm work shy. But, you'd think with all this nice weather, they'd want to spend less time in an office and more time outside enjoying this fabulous country.

Socialites...... What is a socialite? You can check an online dictionary for an interpretation or you can go with my mine......

A Socialite is a person, often female, who spends an obscene amount of money each year entertaining themselves and their friends of similar standing for no real reason except they can. They are nauseating individuals who have never worked a day in their lives and who trade off the back of their well-to-do 'celebrity' parents sponging large amounts of cash as they go. They are pointless people with no real meaning in life except to teach young people in particular how not to conduct themselves. They would do well to take a leaf from the many selfless people in the world right now who put a lot more in and take a lot less out. I have no respect for this type and I consider them to be completely worthless.

Guest guest9824
Socialites...... What is a socialite? You can check an online dictionary for an interpretation or you can go with my mine......

A Socialite is a person, often female, who spends an obscene amount of money each year entertaining themselves and their friends of similar standing for no real reason except they can. They are nauseating individuals who have never worked a day in their lives and who trade off the back of their well-to-do 'celebrity' parents sponging large amounts of cash as they go. They are pointless people with no real meaning in life except to teach young people in particular how not to conduct themselves. They would do well to take a leaf from the many selfless people in the world right now who put a lot more in and take a lot less out. I have no respect for this type and I consider them to be completely worthless.

Sounds like me...posh pea:biggrin:.....worthless ?:frown: I promise I will come and buy a squashed frog at your dome, there now that's me putting something back in and not taking out....does this count?:frown:

Edited by guest9824

Guest guest9824

...the price of lemons:wink:...

...and...

The Only Way is Essex....those girls that are only in their early twenties already having had numerous 'procedures' and ending up looking like red rum in the process....addictive watching though:biggrin:

Edited by guest9824

Portlaunay

I so have to agree with your number 1. Our meal times are spent moaning at my eldest about how he eats, and we have been doing that for about 8 years now and nothing gets through and I don't know how many times we have to tell him to not talk with his mouthful. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

Elife, I don't think you will get slammed for that one, I feel unless you have physically been here how can you give advice, obviously you can regarding stuff that you are still doing like removers and what to take, but the reality of actually coming here and doing things are sooooooo different to what you think they will and what they are and they are so different for other people. Its like when people who have never been pregnant or had children how on earth can they give advice (professionals don't count because they have done years and years of training, but I mean normal regular people).

Akasully2 so agree with you regarding spelling etc. Obviously we make fat fingers mistakes, I am doing it all the time, I don't think electronic gadgets help in this respect either.

Akasully2 another great thread you have started. I really am interested to see what threads you start when you do get out here.:wink:

Thanks Akasuly 2

Sounds like me...posh pea:biggrin:.....worthless ?:frown: I promise I will come and buy a squashed frog at your dome, there now that's me putting something back in and not taking out....does this count?:frown:

Sure does count Pea..... Dome Butler will be opening later on this year (I hope this does not count as advertising Mods) and myself and Mrs T are currently busy working at Dome Hillarys; so if anybody pops in I'm the tall middle-aged bloke waiting on tables and who's trying to look like he knows what he's doing.

Guest guest9824
Sure does count Pea..... Dome Butler will be opening later on this year (I hope this does not count as advertising Mods) and myself and Mrs T are currently busy working at Dome Hillarys; so if anybody pops in I'm the tall middle-aged bloke waiting on tables and who's trying to look like he knows what he's doing.

Best of luck to you and MrsT in your new venture, good on you for having a plan and seeing it through, not been to butler for a while, we will have to come and see you, whereabouts will it be? Neat the cornerstone pub?

Good luck..

pea

Guest guest9824
Mrs p is dyslexic but since being here there are some things that have improved for her - her coordination for example. I've often wondered why such a complex word 'dyslexia' was selected to describe a disorder that affects peoples reading ability. Surely something simpler could have been found?

Sorry OP, I digress.

1. My sons inability to eat with his mouth closed or biting down on the cutlery as he clears it of food. We're constantly coaching him through it but it just doesn't sink in and I don't mind admitting that I could scream every mealtime.

2. Newbies on any forum who open an account and ask the most common question without first checking the 3 billion years of previous responses. It's a lazy disease relevant to any forum - "Will a Porsche engine bolt straight into a Beetle?" on a VW forum, "Where are all the baby pigeons?" on an ornithology forum and "Why is Scientology even a religion?" on the Tom Cruise fan club forum.

3. Real estate agents.

My hubby bites his spoon....drives me to distraction, he's 48...there's no hope for your boy Porty! :)

Best of luck to you and MrsT in your new venture, good on you for having a plan and seeing it through, not been to butler for a while, we will have to come and see you, whereabouts will it be? Neat the cornerstone pub?

Good luck..

pea

Thanks for that Pea, it has been three years in the making. Yes spot-on it will be right opposite the Cornerstone on a dusty plot of land overlooking Brampton Lake, construction starts next month so will look forward to seeing you there around Sept.

Rob

WA driving!! For a state that's so laid back there's a lot of d***s on the road!!

I've heard a lot of people grumble about WA drivers and often wondered why. I mince along under the speed limit and most people appear to be happy doing the same but today I realise this must only be true along the Swan corridor.

Down in Shoalwater at a friends beach house today and I've had two people wheel spinning to overtake me and most cars seem to have two gears - 'parked' and 'drive it like you stole it'

...and whinging poms???

Of course, how could we forget? They are a dying breed though and almost entirely eradicated on this forum.

My hubby bites his spoon....drives me to distraction, he's 48...there's no hope for your boy Porty! :)

Noooooo don't tell me that