Perth is a dumb blond - good to look at but no substance !!

darren miles

I've been here 3 years now and have to say I am bored ****less now,we come here on holiday first before we made the move we was from Bromley in Kent , the first year here was like a holiday we went every where and was busy buying everything for the house ( expensive ), the second year was right what's next? Then you start to get homesick now and then because the first year we had seen most of wa what was worth seeing,and everything is expensive so unless you earn good money forget it , they say the weathers lovely the beachs are pretty yeah they are but it's not everything because half the time your at work all the hours god give you and try finding a beach bar ??? With some music??? ,we are now moving back to the uk good luck to anyone moving here your need it I guarantee after 3 years your know what I am talking about. Perth is like a dumb blond-good to look at but no substance

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow you sound bitter! Unfortunately I think this happens wherever you are. After 3 years you have been everywhere you want to visit and start to miss the things you left behind. But if and when you go back after a while you might feel the same way; or you might not...just saying.

I hope you find your decision to return to the UK to be the right one.

Good luck :smile:

It doesn't matter where in the world you are if you if it's not for you then you need to move on, lots of people do like it and settle well so good luck back in the uk, prices have gone up here they predict there's going to be no NHS in 10 years the benefit cheats are bleeding this country dry it's changed a lot in 3 years

good luck on your return

I've been here 3 years now and have to say I am bored ****less now,we come here on holiday first before we made the move we was from Bromley in Kent , the first year here was like a holiday we went every where and was busy buying everything for the house ( expensive ), the second year was right what's next? Then you start to get homesick now and then because the first year we had seen most of wa what was worth seeing,and everything is expensive so unless you earn good money forget it , they say the weathers lovely the beachs are pretty yeah they are but it's not everything because half the time your at work all the hours god give you and try finding a beach bar ??? With some music??? ,we are now moving back to the uk good luck to anyone moving here your need it I guarantee after 3 years your know what I am talking about. Perth is like a dumb blond-good to look at but no substance

Liked it, admire your honesty and saying exactly what you think.

We have our visit booked for October, I want to hear all the pros and cons, other peoples experience's, the grass is not always greener etc etc etc.

I have a huge family here in the UK and lots of friends, there is always somebody in the pub every evening that I can meet up with.

I feel more nervous about the whole thing more then ever, its like sitting in the waiting room at the dentist, you got the option to walk out, but you know you have to stay and face the music.

I'm 42,I have lived in the UK all my life. We have travelled to some beautiful places all over the world. From NYC to the Maldives,Italy to the Ducati factory.......blah blah blah. We have a good little business in the UK and some great friends. We have a great little family in us two the little man and the dog. But we are bored ****eless too. We fancy a change,the UK is in big trouble both financially and morally. It won't be today it won't be tomorrow but it's there and it isn't getting any better. OZ has issues,all countries have issues.

Summing up do we stay in the UK or have a wonder over to OZ for a couple of years? The grass is not always greener but at least OZ could afford new grass :wacko:

We're hoping to move over in October and cannot wait for the change, I feel stuck in a rut in the UK and want to experience living abroad. I have no crystal ball so have no idea how it's going to pan out but if I decide I've had enough and want to come back to the UK in 3 years then so be it. Everyone's different and want/need different things from where they live at different points in their life, at the moment the UK is not giving me what I crave and if I feel like that about Oz in the future then I will act upon it. Not sure I'd feel so negative about it to be honest.

I can understand negativity. When you are not happy here youncan get to loathe it very easily. Hence why around 35% of Brits go back (about half of South Africans).

For some of us, we are happy here and make a life of it. Some find they can not.

On the other side, after 6 years here we don't think we have scratched the surface yet. In fact off to somewhere new today - Toodjaj to visit the international food festival and watch the Avon Decent.

I've been here 7.5 years and don't feel the same way in that it's boring - expensive yes but that doesn't make me hate the place, more positives than negatives for me. I think your post does emphasise though that thinking you're on holiday and then realising that you're not can be a bit of an eye opener. I admire you're able to express your opinion as you see it - we welcome that, but don't assume everyone will have the same experience as yourself. I suspect it's the pull of family and friends back in the UK, which is a very realistic thing that causes many to return, and boring Perth then becomes the proverbial cat to cement that decision. Good luck with your move back though - hope the UK provides you the lifestyle and enjoyment you're searching for.

Edited by ali

Haha it's like your not aloud to say its a boring here with out upsetting people,this is not the only country I have lived in and I do know it's not a holiday as I said everyone is different I like a bit of life around me at night your lucky to find good restaurant open after 9pm in the suburbs I know the uk is messed up but I have lived there for most of my life !!!!! At least you have Europe on your doorstep with different cultures, life is what you make it and this life here is not for me, good luck in perth everyone your going to need (and a big bank balance) and remember its like living in a big old peoples home :wink:

Haha it's like your not aloud to say its a boring here with out upsetting people,this is not the only country I have lived in and I do know it's not a holiday as I said everyone is different I like a bit of life around me at night your lucky to find good restaurant open after 9pm in the suburbs I know the uk is messed up but I have lived there for most of my life !!!!! At least you have Europe on your doorstep with different cultures, life is what you make it and this life here is not for me, good luck in perth everyone your going to need (and a big bank balance) and remember its like living in a big old peoples home :wink:

Hi Darren

First of all I do hope you find what you are looking for back in the UK. Secondly I applaud you. We have been here for over 12 years, both my husband and myself have really well paid jobs in mining so can afford to do what we want but yes I have to agree Perth does get boring. In saying that we have lived and worked in numerous countries in the past 25 years due to work commitments and after a while things do get mundane wherever you live. Perth and WA is a fantastic place to bring up a family but I have always said if I was in my twenties I would find it very restricting to live in such an isolated place. Even thought Perth has grown and there are now lots of bars and restaurants in the city I do really miss the culture of Europe as unless your into beach life and the great outdoors WA will not be for you. Don't get me wrong we do things like bush walking or driving trips but I do really miss my city life. Our ideal would be to spend part of the year in Europe nearer our families and the rest of the year here and that is what we are working towards. We would love to make that move now but we know we would be stupid to give up our jobs so we are lucky that we are able to go back to the UK and Europe every year for 4-6 weeks and get our fix that way. So like I have said I can completely understand were Darren is coming from but in saying that I have totally no regrets in coming out here as life is all about experiences ( good and bad) and although Perth and WA is not everyone's cup of tea, it is a beautiful place with great weather and very family orientated. Good luck with the next part of your journey Darren and try not to be too down about Perth and in the future try to think about the good things you have experienced and the fact that you had the get up and go to give it a try.

Darren, love it.......a realist on here at last, am sure some people will put you down but keep it up!! You are entitled to your opinion as much as they are.

Think you have summed it up beautifully, I agree family is everything!

Then why bother leaving them in the first place??????

Darren is you house going cheap in Iluka?

Darren is you house going cheap in Iluka?

Darren

Adding to my previous post, don't let the nasty comments some people have posted on here get to you. Its always the same idiots time and time again who are obviously so crass and unintelligent they don't have the capacity to discuss a topic without resorting to sarcastic comments or abuse. Only you can make the decision of whats best for your family so good on you as it takes guts to come over here in the first place and even more guts to decide to go back.

Darren

Adding to my previous post, don't let the nasty comments some people have posted on here get to you. Its always the same idiots time and time again who are obviously so crass and unintelligent they don't have the capacity to discuss a topic without resorting to sarcastic comments or abuse. Only you can make the decision of whats best for your family so good on you as it takes guts to come over here in the first place and even more guts to decide to go back.

So if "he is doing what's best for his family" why bother coming on a public forum and telling people what "they" should do and that "they" won't like it? That's the problem it's the same as saying "I" like everything about a place it's "perfect" well it's a matter of opinion. This forum is to aid & assist people not belittle or disrespect a place & the people whom happily choose to live there!

The problem with Perth poms is no one says anything objective ,perth is a nice place but and there is some big but's it's not perfect ,we come over to live the so called Aussie dream which is portrayed on TV back home but they never tell the negatives ie working long hrs,expensive,lack of culture,nothing open ie restaurants after 9.30pm if your lucky,arrogant locals with no manners !!,good quality clothes,fashion.we tried to fit in to this lifestyle but it's not for us I said ,I like smart clothes and nice holidays and having a nice car which don't cost a fortune to buy these things are not here fact, so when you come over with rose tinted glasses remember what I have said !!! Good luck ! P.S go on poms in Oz they have a page why people go back to the uk maybe people should read this before they come out it might open there eyes up a little before you spend you life savings getting out here !!!!

Edited by darren miles