The same old question - where to live!

EmmaC77

Hi

NOR or SOR?

Looking for a good high school, $500,000 to buy, $550 pw rent - ideally coastal?

Any suggestions?

We have visited the Rockingham area but do not know much about NOR areas.

Have read mixed views about Rockingham High School - does anyone know anything about Kolbe Catholic School?

Any suggestions would be great.

Thank you

Emma

Emandurah is only a few stops between Rockingham - about 20 mins. We are about 50 mins from Perth.

It it is one of the most water based places in Aus. So most places are beachside. Our place will be available early next year and we pay $325 for a 3 storey with pool and spa next to the beach in what is regarded as one of the best areas in the south west.

it is one of the fastest growing cities in oz and so actually a good chance your hubby would be working here.

Rents ts and purchase prices are well within your budget. We are building at the moment and have rented here 6 years.

Probably the prettiest (in my opinion) place to live in WA and love that I can walk the dog on a morning while watching Roos, then swim with dolphins at lunch.

Do you live there?

What do you call Bogans?

Yes there is a rough element living in Rockingham..... as there is in many suburbs in Perth.... I just don't get why Rockingham gets this comment so often.

A place wouldn't be branded a name if there wasn't an element of truth behind it. I wouldn't live South of apple cross if I lived South of the river, bad coast line too unless you take a particular intrest in industrial landscapes

Edited by ali

A place wouldn't be branded a name if there wasn't an element of truth behind it. I wouldn't live South of apple cross if I lived South of the river, badcoast line too unless you take a particular intrest in industrial landscapes

Wow.... what an attitude you have.... Happy Christmas......

Edited by ali
quote edited

Well you do live in rockingham so I wouldn't expect anything else. All I'm saying I'd there's far more desirable areas to live than there.. Your hardly hear somebody call karrinyup the bogan capital of WA which rockingham is known as

I have lived here for almost 10 years now. When I first arrived I will admit I was a real snob. Once my eldest started mixing with other teenagers I would guide her away from bogans and onto people from more 'desirable' areas. Fast forward a couple of years and my daughter is having a real hard time which culminates in a suicide attempt. Who do you think were the first people to call me, the parents from desirable areas. No way jose, the bogans were the first on my doorstep offering help and support. I would take a bogan over a stuck up git every day of the week.

Well you do live in rockingham so I wouldn't expect anything else. All I'm saying I'd there's far more desirable areas to live than there.. Your hardly hear somebody call karrinyup the bogan capital of WA which rockingham is known as

You need to live in a area to comment on what its like..

You need to live in a area to comment on what its like..

So true Deb.... When we came here in 1991 we bought in a cheap area south of the river as that is where my ageing parents lived, and a major part of the reason we came here was to look after them in their later years, so we bought a naff house in a good street. We spent a few years renovating and we still live in the same house 23 years later and it is a great suburb. Everyone is friendly and I have amazing neighbours who have become close friends... Our children went to the state government schools, had a good education and are doing very well in this world. I have friends who perhaps could be called bogans because they are not at all concerned about "keeping up with the Jones's" and are genuine caring souls and work in industries that support our lives. I much prefer to spend time and energy with these friends than with people who think they are perfect and have absolutely everything material that they think they need in life to be a success. For me it is not about where you live, but about the person you are.

Not trolling, just pointing out the plane obviously that there are more desirable areas to live in perth than rocko.. My australian friends call it bogan capital of WA, that's where I got it from.. And you can comment on areas to live without actually living there yourself.. I've lived in Perth for years now so I know.. For example good= applecross, peppermint grove, Cottesloe, north and south beach, karrinyup to name just a few.. Bad = balga, rockingham, midland, clarkson,mirrabooker, kelmscott... Just trying to help

Edited by P1999

Thank you all for your feedback and comments.

When we moved to Tassie 5 years ago we had similar responses - some people preferred some areas to others and vice versa.

When we moved here we made our own mind up.

There are always some people who don't like areas even if they have never lived there and never would, but that is there choice.

This is the same in England.

It's always good to get others ideas of "good" or "nicer" areas so able to compare with what you know.

Emma