2 months in-2nd time round!!

The Jamesy's

Well Perth Pommers, it has been a while since I have been on here as been so busy so thought I would do a quick update as I know how much I enjoyed reading other newbies posts!!

It was very sad to say goodbye to my parents the evening before our flight, as we had requested nobody to come to the airport but it was very special in that they spent a last few quality hours with the children and I left them a little card to find when they went to bed! Which they were very grateful for and I did speak to them one more time that evening.

So, after goodbyes at the in laws very early the next morning we got our taxi to the airport-2 very nervous parents and 4 bewildered children!! After realising on the way my 14 year old had forgotten her iphone charger-a quick dash from granddad and was all back on track again!! We were all very excited by this stage although my 12 year old was still a bit unhappy about us taking her away from her best friend and my 14 year old was worried about being sick on the flight (her return flight 5 years previous was still very fresh in her mind where she was sick the whole flight) And low and behold even after a relaxed breakfast and travel sickness tablets she was sick before we had even taxied!!! The poor love, this went on for the first few hours of the first flight until she then just slept the whole way The second flight was less eventful apart from my 4 and 6 year olds having trouble getting comfortable to sleep much, and then again about an hour before we landed-14 year old was very sick again (I don't think she is ever going to fly again!!!!) It was a relief to land and we had all forgotten how long that flight actually is. We flew with Emirates and only ordered bland meals and because we had to pay adult fayres for the 12 and 14 year olds they had to have adult meals-they didn't like them much!! And the young childrens meals weren't great, quite spicy which they also didn't really eat much of-wish I had taken more snacks for them all as they all moaned nearly the whole way they were starving-apart from my very sick 14 year old!!!

We had a holiday let for the first 4 weeks with a pool which was a real blessing for the older girls as we had so much running around to do, they could just chill by the pool! Bank accounts were confirmed and after a couple of mishaps (on my part) our money was finally transferred into our Aussie bank account-it is a huge relief when you see the balance as it should be!!! As we only had the rental for 4 weeks, we were quite aware that we needed to sort schools and areas where we would like to settle. So as we had been here before, we thought in our minds where we would end up, however, once we had looked at the high school and primary school for that catchment, we were quite underwhelmed!! So had to rethink our whole area of where to settle-it's a lot harder when there are 2 schools to think about!! So, after rethinking, we looked at other schools in the areas and then decided where we would like the children to go to school-so the next thing was to secure a rental!!! I wanted to secure this before they broke up from school so I could enrol all the girls ready for next term. We only looked at 4 and secured the 3rd one we went to. Which we moved into 3 weeks ago-and how happy were we to have the container arrive with all our things on-the girls are all very happy to have their toys and belongings back. Even just having their own beds to sleep in-it's a lot more settling for all of us. Although it was quite stressful at the time and we very nearly had to find another holiday let to stay in but it all came together in the end.

We were very lucky in that we were able to borrow our friends car until we purchased one and after a few weeks of traipsing round car dealers we finally decided to buy a cheaper one for now and save the money in the bank to go against our mortgage when we get one. Also finding a car was made a bit harder in the fact that there is 6 of us, so can't just buy a standard car, had to be family sized!!!

Christmas was great, obviously we went to the beach!! we also went to the local park to us with the girls on their bikes and just had a lovely relaxed day with the girls and all their new presents.

On the work front, hubby just started work yesterday through a friend of a friend and now we finally have money starting to come back in the account. He is a carpenter but until he had all his tools off the container and got his van through customs, he hasn't really been able to do much-plus they all seem to shut down over Christmas. He has found it very hard but more so because of the money draining out of our account and no steady promise of a job-he is also a doer and a hard worker so has found all this time off quite hard-especially spending it with us 5 girls!!!) But now things are finally starting to come together work wise, he is feeling a lot more positive. (if anybody wants any skirtings fitted or doors hung PM me!!)

If you are importing a vehicle just a word of warning-make sure you can get it insured here-we have spent 2 days on the phone trying to get it insured, we thought we were going to have to scrap it and buy one anyway, but luckily one company came through for us and they now have a Vauxhall Vivaro on their system!!! So just double check this first, it has been a pain but we will hopefully have saved around 10,000 dollars by importing it so worth it for us.

All in all it has been a very stressful time but totally worth it. All the girls are feeling settled and am sure once they start school next month will hopefully make lots of new friends. We have been to some very beautiful parks and beaches and spent lots more quality time together than we would have back in the UK. I feel closer as a family unit especially to my 2 teenagers which is what we wanted so all good on that front. We have found most people to be friendly and open and very helpful.

Unfortunately haven't had chance to have coffee at Dome in Butler yet and am quite keen to go on the Mullaloo ladies walk, but until the girls are at school, it's a bit hard to do anything like that at the moment. I am meeting up with another Perth Pommer on Friday which I am really looking forward to xx

So, this is our account so far, sorry if I have gone on or bored you to tears!!! If anybody has any questions I am happy to help out if I canxxx

And wishing all those here already that I hope to meet you one day and all those making the move, good luck, hope your flight is smoother than mine was and take each day as it comes-don't underestimate how stressful it is moving to the other side of the world!!!

Jess xx

I love reading newbie posts. It all sounds like it falling into place for you all. Which area did you decide on?

Hi Nikki,

We decided on Kinross in the end, we lived in Currambine when we were here 5 years ago, but Kinross is a slightly cheaper area so we are hoping that when we buy we will only have to have a very small mortgage which is another reason for choosing this area. We love it so far, we are so close to everything which for us is perfect with our family dynamics!!!!

Jess x

Huge congrats to you all I'm heading out solo in August to secure rentals, cars, bank accounts etc. and hopefully a job. My wife and two daughters who will be 3 and 1 are flying out 3 weeks later to join me. So I think my flight will be ok of course lol, just hope she has a smooth ride! Thanks for the post don't think anything can prepare you for such a huge move but there has to be a reason why so many of us do it

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jess, welcome back. We will go back this year as well. Lived in Quinns rocks and wNt to live a bit more south (somewhere around woodvale, craigie, heathridge. Exciting and a but scary as my emo state got us back to Europe in the first place. But I am sure it will be better this time. What happened 5 years ago if I may ask?

Hi Jess, welcome back. We will go back this year as well. Lived in Quinns rocks and wNt to live a bit more south (somewhere around woodvale, craigie, heathridge. Exciting and a but scary as my emo state got us back to Europe in the first place. But I am sure it will be better this time. What happened 5 years ago if I may ask?

Hi FOL,

Well, we decided to have our third child when we were here last time and more or less as soon as I was pregnant, (I think the hormones played a big part in my wanting to return-life changes should never be made when pregnant!!) I wanted to go back to the UK to be near family. Fortunately, we couldn't sell our house straight away so we stayed and had the baby, got Citizenship (thank goodness) and then went on to sell our house. I do think had I not been pregnant, we wouldn't have returned. It was a very hard decision to make though and I am a strong believer in everything happens for a reason. This time round, we are emotionally stronger, older and wiser and know what we want from life and for our kids. I'm not saying this is it forever (never say never) but for now, we are settling in, enjoying all Perth has to offer, and hoping all the girls will love school and settle in to their new lives comfortably!! Good luck with your move-again-it certainly is a roller coaster of emotions!!!

Jess xx

• 2 weeks later...
Jess what a lovely account! Thanks so much for sharing! Awesome update!! Where have you settled? Xxx

Hi JenPen,

We have settled in Kinross (as per previous post) renting at the moment, but looking at buying in this area near to the schools. The girls all start on Monday and are extremely nervous but I have spoken with the school and they have been fabulous and really put the older girls minds at ease. I know it is not everybody's cup of tea, but we like it and are happy. I have heard some very negative and positive things about the high school where the older two will be going, but we really loved the feel of it, all the staff were very friendly and welcoming when we have been there unlike some other schools. Fingers crossed they settle in well and make some lovely friends-all we can hope for!!! Good luck with everything, it's a big journey physically and emotionally!!

Jess xx

Hi Jess

Sorry I missed the suburb I couldn't see it *blush* I still can't scanning it back now but never mind haha I am a bit blind ;) so apologies for being so *cringe*

Sounds lovely!! Albeit challenging it sounds worth it. I think all schools no matter where you are have good and bad press but you have to go with your feeling etc which I'm pleased you have- we are all different and like and thrive in different situations! I hope the girls love their new schools and good luck for Monday!

Can't wait to get over there now it's all so exciting xx

Hi JenPen' date='

We have settled in Kinross (as per previous post) renting at the moment, but looking at buying in this area near to the schools. The girls all start on Monday and are extremely nervous but I have spoken with the school and they have been fabulous and really put the older girls minds at ease. I know it is not everybody's cup of tea, but we like it and are happy. I have heard some very negative and positive things about the high school where the older two will be going, but we really loved the feel of it, all the staff were very friendly and welcoming when we have been there unlike some other schools. Fingers crossed they settle in well and make some lovely friends-all we can hope for!!! Good luck with everything, it's a big journey physically and emotionally!!

Jess xx[/quote']

Ignore people regarding the school. My eldest goes to Belridge, if you believed what people with no experience said you would think there were stabbings and drug taking in the corridors. Good luck to your kids on Monday.

Sounds like you ve done really well Jess - Good Luck for the girls on Monday. Look forward to seeing you for a Mullaoo walk sometime - really nice bunch of relatively newbies too. I ve got three girls, 2 are teenagers and OH is also a carpenter.

We ve said we re a bit like the Tradies WAGS lol Xx

Oh my gosh that's so funny-always wanted to be a WAG!!! Hubby reckons we can all go walking whilst the hubbies meet up for a beer!!

Good luck JenPen with the move, hope it all goes smoothly.

Definitely up for a Mullaloo walk once all the girls are settled into school x the older girls were too nervous for breakfast this morning so only nibbled at what they had bless them, but have had a text to say they are both fine and all ok-so very very relieved and taking them all for ice cream after school for a treat to hear all about their day!! Just had tears from my 6 year old which was expected but am sure she's fine, the teacher seemed really lovely, can't wait to pick them all up and hear all about it!!

Jess xxx