Another newbie!

benj1980

Hi Benj, welcome along - I have to say, I find this forum to be better than PIO, there is far lass bitching and far more constructive advice. But that's just my opinion. I may be out of date as not been on the other one for a while.

Good luck with the visa, and feel free to ask anything, there are lots of us in the same boat as you and no doubt a lot of lurkers too and we all get a lot from the advice given on this forum.

Cheers

Gareth

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was wondering if on the visa you could count unqualified work as it says 'years experience in job or closely related work', and I have worked as a cover supervisor in a secondary school for ten plus years and would be completing my training (SCITT with PGCE) the year after next.

I don't think it would count as pre qualified experience. Make sure the SCITT that you complete provides you with a transcript, this is a criteria for AITSL who assess your qualification. No transcript, no positive assessment. Some SCITT's don't provide this.

This happened to me and I basically had to beg the accrediting university to provide me with a transcript (took over a year!)

@benj1980 Good to know in advance - thanks for that! Have you been looking for jobs in Perth yet, what's the secondary market look like out there? I get the feeling Primary places are harder to come by but I wondered how the new Australian National Curriculum was changing things?

I'm not actively looking really. Although have had a look, I haven't completed my WA registration yet. I'm led to believe that education in WA doesn't necessarily follow national trends. I know a few teachers in WA who think I'll get supply work easily enough, but I just don't know until I get there! No idea about primary, but they're encouraging primary teachers to switch to secondary.

I'm not actively looking really. Although have had a look, I haven't completed my WA registration yet. I'm led to believe that education in WA doesn't necessarily follow national trends. I know a few teachers in WA who think I'll get supply work easily enough, but I just don't know until I get there! No idea about primary, but they're encouraging primary teachers to switch to secondary.

The switch is probably due to the changes here that occurred this year when year 7 went from being the last year of primary to the first year of secondary school. Less primary school teachers are now required in schools as they've lost a whole year group

I'm not moving for a few years yet but I wondered if you thought it would be advantageous to get in contact with potential schools in the area so they know my name (and maybe some agencies). I would be looking to come over and stay with friends maybe next [uK] summer and was thinking about volunteering perhaps? What do you think?

I can't imagine agencies being interested until you have the right to work and live in Australia. When I visited a couple of years ago I ended up with a tour of a secondary school through making enquiries, at my cousins school. It certainly gave me an idea of what to expect from an Oz school. I also dropped my god daughter to her primary school and was introduced to her teacher, who showed me the work that the class had been doing. Both instances were very positive and the staff fantastic!

To volunteer would you need an Oz DBS?